Uncovering the Mystery of Anti-Matter in Our Galaxy

In summary, there is a 10000 light year cloud of anti-matter near the center of our galaxy, which is not a surprise as natural anti-matter is constantly being produced in the universe. The anti-matter in the cloud is a result of high energy gamma ray reactions, and is not pure anti-matter. The anti-matter and matter particles from pair-production go in opposite directions, making it difficult to separate them unless the temperature is low enough to only produce electron-positron pairs.
Tanelorn
I had not heard of this, so I thought others might be interested.

I thought that all natural Anti matter had been lost at the beginning of the Universe, but apparently there is a 10000 light year cloud of anti matter near the center of our galaxy:

http://www.space.com/4837-source-mysterious-antimatter.html

Any comments?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
The article seems to imply that the anti-matter is of recent origin, not from the beginning of the universe. It appears to consist of positrons coming from high energy gamma ray reactions (pair production).

Tanelorn said:
I had not heard of this, so I thought others might be interested.

I thought that all natural Anti matter had been lost at the beginning of the Universe, but apparently there is a 10000 light year cloud of anti matter near the center of our galaxy:

http://www.space.com/4837-source-mysterious-antimatter.html

Any comments?

Natural anti-matter is being made constantly in the universe, so it isn't that much of a surprise to find a cloud of it. But an interesting read nonetheless.

Hmm, is it a cloud of antimatter or just a cloud of regular matter with enough antimatter to make it glow? How did the antimatter from pair-production get separated from ordinary matter then?

clamtrox said:
Hmm, is it a cloud of antimatter or just a cloud of regular matter with enough antimatter to make it glow?

It's not a cloud of pure anti-matter. What happens is that if you heat something hot enough, it will start generating anti-matter/matter pairs. The anti-matter then interacts with the matter and gives you a specific radiation line.

How did the antimatter from pair-production get separated from ordinary matter then?

When you produce an anti-matter/matter pair, the particles go in opposite directions. The anti-matter just continues until it hits some other piece of matter.

twofish-quant said:
It's not a cloud of pure anti-matter. What happens is that if you heat something hot enough, it will start generating anti-matter/matter pairs. The anti-matter then interacts with the matter and gives you a specific radiation line.

If the temperature were low enough to only produce electron-positron pairs, then you could separate them by electric or magnetic fields or whatever, but I guess that is not what is happening here.

1. What is anti-matter?

Anti-matter is a type of matter made up of particles with the same mass as regular matter, but with opposite charge. For example, an anti-electron (called a positron) has the same mass as an electron, but with a positive charge instead of a negative charge.

2. How was this source of anti-matter found?

The source of anti-matter was found through a process called particle acceleration. Scientists used powerful machines to accelerate particles to extremely high speeds, and then collided them together to create anti-matter particles.

3. What is the significance of finding a source of anti-matter?

Finding a source of anti-matter is significant because it helps us better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It also has potential applications in fields such as energy production and medicine.

4. Can anti-matter be harnessed as a source of energy?

Yes, anti-matter has the potential to be a powerful source of energy. When matter and anti-matter particles collide, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy. However, harnessing this energy is currently very difficult and expensive.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with a source of anti-matter?

There are potential dangers associated with a source of anti-matter, as it is highly unstable and can release a large amount of energy when it comes into contact with regular matter. However, scientists take strict precautions and safety measures when working with anti-matter to minimize any potential risks.