Refraction and Complex refractive index

In summary, At a wavelength of 400nm, the semiconductor ZnSe has a complex refractive index n= 3.0+0.32i. When incident from air at an angle of 71.6°, the refraction angle of the transmitted wave can be found using Snell's law. To calculate the magnitude and phase shift associated with the amplitude reflection coefficient for p-polarized 400nm radiation, the unit polarization vector can be used. For part c, the unit polarization vector that describes the reflected radiation can be found using the air-ZnSe interface and the incident 400nm radiation with a unit polarization vector of 1/√2[1 0].
makotech222

Homework Statement

At a wavelength of 400nm, the semiconductor ZnSe has a complex refractive index n= 3.0+0.32i

A) If 400nm is incidient from air onto ZnSe with θ=tan-1(NR) = 71.6°,
What is the refraction angle of the transmitted wave?

B) Calculate the magnitude R and phase shift ψ associated with the amplitude reflection coefficient r for p-polarized 400nm radiation incident at 71.6°

C) If 400nm radiation with a unit polarization vector 1/√2[1 0] is incident at 71.6 on the air-ZnSe interface, find the unit polarization vector that describes the reflected radiation.

[The matrix is vertical, not horizontal, I'm new with the formatting on this forum :) ]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, i tried using snell's law and just omitted the imaginary part, I'm not sure if it's the right answer because of that though. For the others, I have no idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea of snell's law is the tangential wavevector must match. It's up to the medium to determine the vertical wavevector given the total wavenumber in the medium, which in your case is complex. Don't be surprised to see a complex wavevector, which corresponds to decaying wave, since it's a lossy medium you're looking at

What is refraction and how does it occur?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with a different optical density. This occurs because the speed of light changes when it moves from one medium to another.

What is the complex refractive index?

The complex refractive index is a measure of how much a material refracts light and absorbs it. It is a complex number with a real part representing the refractive index and an imaginary part representing the absorption coefficient.

How is the complex refractive index measured?

The complex refractive index can be measured using a variety of techniques such as ellipsometry, interferometry, and spectrophotometry. These methods involve measuring the intensity and polarization of light as it passes through a material.

What factors affect the complex refractive index?

The complex refractive index is affected by various factors such as the composition, density, and temperature of the material. It can also be influenced by the wavelength and polarization of the incident light.

Why is the complex refractive index important in scientific research?

The complex refractive index is important in scientific research because it provides valuable information about the optical properties of a material. It is used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science to study and understand the behavior of light in different materials.