Coffee Decreases Risk of Death

• Medical
  • Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee Death
In summary, a study found that those who drank at least two or three cups of coffee a day were about 10 to 15 percent less likely to die for any reason during the 13 years of the study. This inverse association was also found in specific causes of death such as heart disease, lung disease, strokes, injuries, accidents, diabetes, and infections. Personal experiences and opinions vary on the importance of coffee drinking for general health, with some claiming it as a stimulant while others see it as a vice. However, the study suggests that consuming coffee in moderation may have potential health benefits and is not harmful. The study also sparked debates about the validity and flaws of its results.
zoobyshoe
Those who drank at least two or three cups a day were about 10 percent or 15 percent less likely to die for any reason during the 13 years of the study. But you don't necessarily need to be a heavy coffee drinker.

"Starting with those drinking a cup a day or more then there started to be this inverse association," he said.

When the researchers looked at specific causes of death, coffee drinking appeared to cut the risk of dying from heart disease, lung disease, strokes, injuries, accidents, diabetes and infections.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...e-help-you-live-longer-we-really-want-to-know

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm 65, and in good health, except when I have Crohn's Disease flareups. I drink at least two cups of black French roast coffee per day. I have no idea if coffee helps with general health, but I'm quite sure that it's a stimulant that will keep you awake and somewhat alert when tired. I used to drink from 10 to 12 cups of coffee, sometimes with cream and sugar, sometimes not, per day. And during that time I felt good and healthy. So, I have to conclude, from personal experience, that coffee drinking isn't important, for me anyway, one way or the other. So, when I feel like having a cup of coffee ... I do.

I'm 27, almost 28 and if I never have a cup of coffee it will be too soon. Yuck!

Drakkith said:
I'm 27, almost 28 and if I never have a cup of coffee it will be too soon. Yuck!
Well, I think that's a good attitude. I don't know, but my guess would be that consuming coffee certainly isn't in any way necessary for, or inducive to, good health.

My point was that, apparently, it doesn't hurt either.

I like coffee, so I drink it. I'm glad to know that, at the very least, it is not harmful to anything other than my teeth. The downside is that if I go a day without drinking, I get "the headache." The flipside to that, is the remedy: 3 advil and a good long sleep. Next day, with a coffee in hand, is wonderful.

That's my only vice, so be it.

Chi Meson said:
The downside is that if I go a day without drinking, I get "the headache."
That's interesting. I've never experienced any such withdrawal symptoms. Sometimes I'll go days without having coffee or tea, and don't think about it. Some days I'm probably drinking more cups of the stuff than I should. Curious.

I'm a tea-sipping elitist myself. :wink:

Awesome. Drink my coffee black too. Gotta have a cup of Jo every morning too. My friend who is a surgeon also likes to tout coffee drinking with lower incidences of AZ. Caffeine in moderation is wonderful.

ThomasT said:
Well, I think that's a good attitude. I don't know, but my guess would be that consuming coffee certainly isn't in any way necessary for, or inducive to, good health.

My point was that, apparently, it doesn't hurt either.

Oh I'm not saying that coffee is some terrible drink that is horrible for you, I just can't stand the taste lol.

Chi Meson said:
I like coffee, so I drink it. I'm glad to know that, at the very least, it is not harmful to anything other than my teeth. The downside is that if I go a day without drinking, I get "the headache." The flipside to that, is the remedy: 3 advil and a good long sleep. Next day, with a coffee in hand, is wonderful.

That's my only vice, so be it.

ThomasT said:
That's interesting. I've never experienced any such withdrawal symptoms. Sometimes I'll go days without having coffee or tea, and don't think about it. Some days I'm probably drinking more cups of the stuff than I should. Curious.

Many people experience withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, irritability, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Addiction.2C_tolerance_and_withdrawal

I've been drinking coffee since I was 12, and tea before that. I'm not about to stop. I drink about 1-2 pints/day, and sometimes more depending. I've had those nasty headaches when going a day without coffee, but more recently, it hasn't been much of a problem.

No it doesn't. No matter how much coffee you drink, you're still going to die.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Then on the other hand, it doesn't increase the risk either. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Then on the other hand, it doesn't increase the risk either. :biggrin:
Neither does potassium cyanide.

Jimmy Snyder said:
The claim is not that it eliminates the risk of death, Jimmy.

zoobyshoe said:
The claim is not that it eliminates the risk of death, Jimmy.
True. The claim is that it decreases the risk of death. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't.

Jimmy Snyder said:
True. The claim is that it decreases the risk of death. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't.

I think we can all agree that it's supposed to be the risk of earlier death, not the risk of death.

Jimmy Snyder said:

What? You're picking on the fact the thread title abbreviates the full claim?

Those who drank at least two or three cups a day were about 10 percent or 15 percent less likely to die for any reason during the 13 years of the study.

during the 13 years of the study
Herein lies the flaw in the study.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Herein lies the flaw in the study.
Go ahead and analyze it, then.

OK, Jimmy has PM'ed me that he was joking. I didn't catch it because I was fully expecting someone, or several people, to attempt to deconstruct the study when I posted it. (It seems kinda loose to me, open to much questioning.)

Everyone may proceed with their coffee.

Given how much coffee* I drink, I'm suspect that it might actually decrease my risk of eventual death. Although I concede that my other vices might get me in the end.

*(For years I've called "coffee" "sacred fluid of life.")

Then again, I don't believe in life before coffee, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

collinsmark said:
Given how much coffee* I drink, I'm suspect that it might actually decrease my risk of eventual death. Although I concede that my other vices might get me in the end.

*(For years I've called "coffee" "sacred fluid of life.")

Then again, I don't believe in life before coffee, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Nonsense, everyone knows that Zeus drank Mountain Dew, aka "The Nectar of the Gods" to stay immortal. It was like Popeye's spinach to him.

zoobyshoe said:
OK, Jimmy has PM'ed me that he was joking. I didn't catch it because I was fully expecting someone, or several people, to attempt to deconstruct the study when I posted it. (It seems kinda loose to me, open to much questioning.)

Everyone may proceed with their coffee.

I made the joke first, and nobody responded. :-(

Jack21222 said:
I made the joke first, and nobody responded. :-(
My bad. I didn't follow the link and ended up repeating your joke. If it's any consolation, yours was funnier.

Jimmy Snyder said:
My bad. I didn't follow the link and ended up repeating your joke. If it's any consolation, yours was funnier.

I think we've all learned a lesson about humor here: death is hilarious, but coffee is not funny.

Perhaps the study just proved that people who have time to drink coffee have safe jobs?

zoobyshoe said:
I think we've all learned a lesson about humor here: death is hilarious, but coffee is not funny.
I think most folks take death pretty seriously, especially when it comes to one's own.

Those who drank at least two or three cups a day were about 10 percent or 15 percent less likely to die for any reason during the 13 years of the study.
It's not like anyone is looking for a reason, eh? :biggrin:

The important point is that drinking coffee won't change the likelihood of dying at the end of one's life. So we can rest easy.

In the meantime, at the moment, I'm drinking Top Sail Imperial Porter.

russ_watters said:
Perhaps the study just proved that people who have time to drink coffee have safe jobs?
I was thinking it could be spun to say that healthy people are more likely to drink coffee everyday. It's probably safe to conclude at least 75% of people in comas don't drink coffee, for example.

But it still caffeine, which acts as stimulant drug if ingested too much. That is why moderation is needed

Dakota Fang said:
But it still caffeine, which acts as stimulant drug if ingested too much. That is why moderation is needed
It's not the caffiene according to the study, so decaf is just as beneficial.

Evo said:
It's not the caffiene according to the study, so decaf is just as beneficial.

Not to mention that *anything* you ingest is best done in moderation. You can kill yourself with water, too. I don't think anyone is thinking that this study shows that since coffee is healthy, we should all have 30 cups a day.

When the researchers looked at specific causes of death, coffee drinking appeared to cut the risk of dying from heart disease, lung disease, strokes, injuries, accidents, diabetes and infections.
Notice that coffee seemed to reduce the risk of death from injuries and accidents!

This suggests to me what I said to Russ, that they may have reversed cause and effect. The study may actually show that people who are already healthy and alert are more likely to feel like enjoying a couple cups of coffee a day. The presence of incipient heart disease, lung disease, strokes, diabetes, and infections, may increase people's tendency to have accidents, and also cut their desire to engage in unnecessary activities, like going out to a coffee shop. When you feel poorly you do less. In fact, people with some of these conditions may have been told by a doctor to avoid caffeine.

zoobyshoe said:

So maybe coffee drinkers are not addicts then. Still, this reminds me of all the hoopla surrounding the benefits of wine drinking, which I think, is somewhat overhyped and misguided. These beverages are probably being consumed in place of something else that could potentially be more nutritious. I will say that the evidence looks pretty good that coffee and modest amounts of wine are probably not harmful.

Jimmy Snyder said:

The language is a bit loose. In fact it's the relative risk of death in fixed time intervals for coffee drinkers vs non coffee drinkers; adjusted for age and sex.

Last edited: