Prosthetic Leg explanations and advice.

• Medical
  • Thread starter Thundagere
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you elaborate?In summary, this double amputee runner uses a custom-made carbon-framed socket to attach to his thigh, metal knee, and curved piece of plastic to act as a foot with no heel, allowing him to run on his toes. He says this results in less stress on his tendon, but some people feel that blades on both legs would be more efficient. If this design is specifically for running, then why not use them? I'm not sure this project is still worth doing, but I'm interested in learning more.
Thundagere
Yeah, I ask way too many questions.
Anyhow, I was reading on prosthetic legs and I noticed that one runner said he had to run on the balls of his feet with the prosthesis on. Having done this and suffered tendinitis due to too much tension when running, I thought about trying to make a prosthetic leg that tries to act as more of a shock absorber, to sort of relieve the pressure and make it easier to run and lower chances of injury.
This is what i was thinking of
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2817/p7190652.jpg

Possibly minus the bottom low spring constant springs. I was thinking of making it for the experience, try to get a better understanding of mechanics.
Essentially, the top part is stuck in the bottom part because of the triangles on the side. It rests on a high tension spring, so that the spring absorbs some of the shock from landing, but doesn't fold in.
Any advice on this? If it comes to anything I might try entering it in a science fair, but I'm not sure. Mainly I want the experience, so thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
How would a runner with a prosthetic leg have a ball of his foot' on that leg?
Your diagram of a design using coli springs is testimony to the advantage of the leaf springs that many amputees use these days. They can be made with very good lateral stability whereas a coil spring always needs some sort of guide to provide the same stability.

Not on that leg. The article I was reading stated:

It has a custom, carbon-framed socket that attaches to his thigh, a metal knee and curving piece of plastic that acts as a foot with no heel, so Alan can run on his toes.

But the thing is, when you're forced to run on your toes it can harm your tendon. I'm wondering how one could create a prosthesis resulting in running "heel—toe" because while less efficient, it puts less stress on the tendon.

If this design is specifically for running then why not use blades on both legs? Plenty of able bodied people run around on blades and they seem to get on fine with practice.

If you're only missing one leg, then how would you put blades on both? It would unbalance you while running.
Also, can you elaborate on how leaf springs are used in prostheses? It sounds pretty interesting!

It would not be hard to balance the two blades, any more than to match a coil spring arrangement to a regular leg. Of course the two blades would need to be matched to the user - which could take a bit of time and effort. Else he would tend to run in circles. But this is all a known art. Just Google Running Blades.

There was recently a complaint that a double amputee should not be allowed to compete against regular runners because of the 'advantage' the blades gave him!

So what you're saying is that one person can have one real leg, with the other amputated, and still run with two legs?
Do you think this project is still worth doing, or should I try something else?

this looks more like engineering than actually physical biology etc etc. Is that something you are into

Yeah, it is. I actually posted this in the general physics section, but it was moved. Sort of like a crossover of engineering and medical sciences? Either way, I was hoping that someone could give me more info on this.

1. What materials are prosthetic legs made of?

Prosthetic legs can be made from a variety of materials such as carbon fiber, titanium, aluminum, and plastics. The material used will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the individual as well as the type of prosthetic leg needed.

2. How long does a prosthetic leg last?

The lifespan of a prosthetic leg can vary greatly depending on factors such as the individual's level of physical activity, care and maintenance of the prosthetic, and any changes in weight or body shape. On average, a prosthetic leg can last anywhere from 3-5 years, but may need to be replaced sooner or later depending on individual circumstances.

3. Can a prosthetic leg be worn while swimming or showering?

Yes, there are waterproof prosthetic legs available that can be worn while swimming or showering. These prosthetics are typically made with materials that can withstand water and are designed to be worn in wet environments.

4. How do I know if my prosthetic leg fits properly?

A properly fitting prosthetic leg should feel comfortable and secure, with no excessive rubbing or pressure points. It should also allow for natural movement and balance while walking. If you experience any discomfort or difficulty while wearing your prosthetic leg, it is important to consult with your prosthetist to make any necessary adjustments.

5. Are there any special care instructions for a prosthetic leg?

Yes, there are some general care instructions for prosthetic legs that can help prolong their lifespan and ensure optimal performance. This may include regular cleaning, avoiding extreme temperatures, and proper storage when not in use. It is important to follow the specific care instructions provided by your prosthetist for your individual prosthetic leg.