What Battery Voltage is Optimal for My Self-Built Electro Magnet?

In summary, the conversation discusses building an electromagnet and the components needed, specifically the battery and its voltage. The question is raised about the strength of the battery and the potential issues with too much current. The suggestion is made to refer to a table of wire gauges to determine the maximum current the coil can support. There is also a mention of using a power supply to control the current and the importance of understanding Ohm's law. The conversation ends with a question about the speaker's knowledge of electricity and circuits.
Trippl7777
This might be too simple of a question but i am building an electro magnet and breaking down all of the components for sheer practice. when i measure my coils resistance it came to roughly between .9Ω and 1.3Ω... what battery (what voltage should i use to get the most power from my magnet and does it matter if it is going to be used in pulses like a relay?

Physics news on Phys.org

It's spelled "ohms". And, your question doesn't make sense. For example, take a battery with a voltage 1 MV (megavolt).

I'm sorry spelling isn't my strong point. What I'm trying to ask is how strong of a battery can i use before I run into a problem (such as Arking and/or flash welding) because of too much current.

Take a look at this table of wire gauges and current rating:
Wire Size
and see what the max current the wire in your coil can support is.

Ok but my friend warned me that with the amount of rotations around the iron core i have could possibly just drain my battery. would it be better to get a power supple like a AC/DC converter from a wall outlet instead of a regular battery?

Thanks again and sorry for how little i know about physics.

Make sure to control the current flowing through the circuit in some way. Just attaching a coil to a battery may result in a destroyed battery due to very high currents. Add some resistors or something. (Or use a current limiting power supply)

Do you know much about electricity or circuits? And especially Ohms law?

What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. The current generates a magnetic field, which can attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

How do you build an electromagnet?

To build an electromagnet, you will need a power source, a coil of wire, and an iron core. First, wrap the wire around the iron core to create a coil. Then, connect the ends of the wire to the power source. When the current flows through the wire, it will create a magnetic field around the iron core, turning it into an electromagnet.

What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet depends on several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current passing through the wire, and the type of core material used. Increasing the number of turns in the coil or the amount of current will increase the strength of the electromagnet.

What are the applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and speakers. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in industrial processes, such as in lifting heavy objects.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when building an electromagnet?

Yes, it is important to be careful when working with electricity and always follow safety guidelines. Make sure to use the appropriate power source and wire for your project and avoid touching any exposed wires. It is also important to disconnect the power source when not in use and properly dispose of any materials after use.