Error in Young/Freedman 13th? (Integral)

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations 5.10 and 5.12 from chapter 5 of Young/Freedman's University Physics, 13th ed. Eq. 5.10 gives the time-dependent speed in the vertical direction of a low-mass, slow-moving object falling through a fluid, and Eq. 5.12 is the time integral of Eq. 5.10. The author provides a derivation for Eq. 5.12, but when attempting to integrate Eq. 5.10, the conversation's participant comes up with a slightly different solution. However, the difference is due to the fact that any indefinite integral is defined up to an additive constant. The book's solution includes an additional term
SiennaTheGr8
In chapter 5 of Young/Freedman's University Physics, 13th ed., Eq. 5.10 is given as:

##v_{y} = v_{t}(1 - e^{-\frac{k}{m}t})##,

where [itex]v_{y}[/itex] is the time-dependent speed in the vertical direction of a low-mass, slow-moving object falling through a fluid, and ##v_{t}##, ##k##, and ##m## are all constants (terminal speed, proportionality constant, and mass, respectively).

Eq. 5.12 is supposed to be the time integral of Eq. 5.10, and is given as:

##y = v_{t}\Big(t - \frac{m}{k}(1 - e^{-\frac{k}{m}t})\Big)##,

where ##y## is the time-dependent position of the object in the vertical direction.

The authors do not provide the derivation. When trying to integrate Eq. 5.10 myself, however, I came up with:

##y = v_{t}\Big(t + \frac{m}{k}(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t})\Big)##.Here are my steps:

Distribute ##v_{t}## on the right side of the equation:

##v_{y} = v_{t} - v_{t}e^{-\frac{k}{m}t}##

Integrate term-by-term, treating ##v_{t}## as a multiplicative constant:

##y = v_{t}∫dt - v_{t}∫e^{-\frac{k}{m}t}dt##

##y = v_{t}t - v_{t}∫e^{-\frac{k}{m}t}dt##

Using u-substitution for the last term, treating ##\frac{k}{m}## as a constant ##c##:

##∫e^{-ct}dt##,

where

##u = -ct##

##\frac{du}{dt} = -c##

##dt = \frac{du}{-c}##,

we have:

##\frac{1}{-c}∫e^{u}du##

##\frac{1}{-c}e^{u}##

##\frac{1}{-c}e^{-ct}##.

Subbing back in for ##\frac{k}{m}##:

##-\frac{m}{k}e^{-\frac{k}{m}t}##.Now the right-hand term of the equation becomes:

##(-v_{t})(-\frac{m}{k})e^{-\frac{k}{m}t}##,

and the whole equation:

##y = v_{t}t + v_{t}(\frac{m}{k})e^{-\frac{k}{m}t}##

##y = v_{t}\Big(t + \frac{m}{k}(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t})\Big)##.But again, the book gives

##y = v_{t}\Big(t - \frac{m}{k}(1 - e^{-\frac{k}{m}t})\Big)##

as the answer. Distributing the ##-\frac{m}{k}## in their answer gives:

##y = v_{t}\Big(t - \frac{m}{k} + \frac{m}{k}(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t})\Big)##,

which is the same as my answer, except with an additional term of ##-\frac{m}{k}## in the big parentheses.
I'm not a very competent mathematician, and I've probably made an error somewhere, but I can't spot it, and I don't see where their extra term of ##-\frac{m}{k}## comes from. Am I integrating improperly? Or is this actually an error in the text?

Thanks, and sorry for the lack of LaTeX.

[Edited: basic LaTeX added]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
SiennaTheGr8 said:
In chapter 5 of Young/Freedman's University Physics, 13th ed., Eq. 5.10 is given as:

vy = vt[1 - e-(k/m)t],

where vy is the time-dependent speed in the vertical direction of a low-mass, slow-moving object falling through a fluid, and vt, k, and m are all constants (terminal speed, proportionality constant, and mass, respectively).

Eq. 5.12 is supposed to be the time integral of Eq. 5.10, and is given as:

y = vt[t - (m/k)(1 - e-(k/m)t)],

where y is the time-dependent position of the object in the vertical direction.

The authors do not provide the derivation. When trying to integrate Eq. 5.10 myself, however, I came up with:

y = vt[t + (m/k)(e-(k/m)t)].

Here are my steps:

Distribute the constant vt on the right side of the equation:

vy = vt - vte-(k/m)t

Integrate term-by-term, treating vt as a multiplicative constant:

y = vt∫dt - vt∫e-(k/m)tdt

y = vtt - vt∫e-(k/m)tdt

Using u-substitution for the last term, treating (k/m) as a constant c:

∫e-ctdt,

where
u = -ct
du/dt = -c
dt = du/-c,

we have:

(1/-c)∫eudu
(1/-c)eu
(1/-c)e-ct.

Subbing back in for k/m:

(-m/k)e-(k/m)t.

Now the right-hand term of the equation becomes:

((-vt)(-m/k))e-(k/m)t,

and the whole equation:

y = vtt + (vtm/k)e-(k/m)t
y = vt[t + (m/k)(e-(k/m)t)].

But again, the book gives

y = vt[t - (m/k)(1 - e-(k/m)t)]

as the answer. Distributing the -(m/k) in their answer gives:

y = vt[t - m/k + (m/k)(e-(k/m)t)],

which is the same as my answer, except with an additional term of -(m/k) in the brackets.

I'm not a very competent mathematician, and I've probably made an error somewhere, but I can't spot it, and I don't see where their extra term of -(m/k) comes from. Am I integrating improperly? Or is this actually an error in the text?

Thanks, and sorry for the lack of LaTeX.

Don't apologize for the lack of Latex. Better learn how to use it in this forum and thus make yourself a good

service as the way it is your message has less chance to be read and addressed by other people than it'd have

if you'd write it with Latex.

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
Don't apologize for the lack of Latex. Better learn how to use it in this forum and thus make yourself a good

service as the way it is your message has less chance to be read and addressed by other people than it'd have

if you'd write it with Latex.

DonAntonio

Thanks -- added some basic Latex.

SiennaTheGr8 said:
Thanks -- added some basic Latex.

If the expression [itex]\,v_t\,[/itex] is really a constant wrt [itex]\,t\,[/itex] (and this is odd for me because it

has a subindex depending on t), then you're right and the book's wrong.

Nevertheless I'd try to be dead sure about that [itex]\,v_t\,[/itex] since it is not usual so huge mistakes in known textbooks.

DonAntonio

Differentiating 5.12, we get 5.10. No problem there.

What you miss is that any indefinite integral is defined up to an additive constant. Which is what is different between your solution and the book's. Why the constant in the book has that particular form, should be evident from other conditions on the function sought.

voko said:
Differentiating 5.12, we get 5.10. No problem there.

What you miss is that any indefinite integral is defined up to an additive constant. Which is what is different between your solution and the book's. Why the constant in the book has that particular form, should be evident from other conditions on the function sought.

Yes, the additive constant crossed my mind, but I think in this case it should be zero, since the initial position seems to be the origin on the given y-t graph that we are told represents Eq. 5.12. I very well might be missing something, but I read nothing in the text that would indicate that the term ##-\frac{m}{k}v_t## should be the initial condition.

(Eq. 5.12 is only given in passing to show mathematically what is happening in that particular figure. The equation is never brought up again, as far as I can tell, so I figured it's the kind of error that might easily go undetected, if it's an error at all.)

I'd also add that the terminal speed ##v_t## of a low-mass, slow-moving object falling through a fluid is defined in the text as ##v_t = \frac{mg}{k}##, and so if this mysterious ##-\frac{m}{k}v_t## term is really the additive constant, then wouldn't that imply that the initial y-position is ##-\frac{m^2}{k^2}g##? I just don't understand how a term like that could have anything to do with the initial position of a small object slowly falling through a fluid.

(In the given frame of reference, by the way, the negative y-direction is up, and the positive y-direction is down).

Sorry if I'm just being dense.

Still, the mystery term does yield the correct unit (meters), since the constant of proportionality ##k## has units kg/s. I still have no idea where the term comes from, and its existence seems to contradict the given y-t graph, which clearly shows the origin as the initial condition.

Ah, figured it out.

Classic rookie mistake: it was a definite integral from time 0 to t, not an indefinite integral. Substituting 0 for t in my indefinite integral equation indeed yields the mystery term.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the "Error in Young/Freedman 13th (Integral)"?

The "Error in Young/Freedman 13th (Integral)" refers to a known error in the 13th edition of the textbook "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman. This error is found in the section on Integrals and has been corrected in later editions of the textbook.

2. How was the error discovered?

The error was discovered by a group of physics students who were using the 13th edition of the textbook for their coursework. They noticed inconsistencies in the examples and solutions provided in the section on Integrals and brought it to the attention of the authors and publisher.

3. What is the impact of this error?

The impact of this error varies depending on the individual. For some students, the error may cause confusion or difficulty in understanding the concepts presented in the textbook. For others, it may not have a significant impact on their learning. However, it is important to note that the error has been corrected in later editions to ensure accuracy for future students.

4. How can I avoid being affected by this error?

If you are using the 13th edition of "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, you can avoid being affected by this error by referring to the official errata provided by the publisher. The errata outlines the sections and pages where the error is present and provides corrections for it. You can also consider using a later edition of the textbook if possible.

5. Is it common for textbooks to have errors?

While publishers and authors strive for accuracy, it is not uncommon for textbooks to have errors. Textbooks often go through multiple editions and revisions, and errors can occur during the editing and printing process. That is why it is important to stay updated on any known errors and corrections provided by the publisher.