How many cycles until pressure decreases k times?

In summary, the air pump is continuously pumping out gas from a vessel with a volume of V. After each cycle, it pumps out dV and the gas is ideal with a constant temperature. The question is asking after how many cycles will the pressure decrease k times, and it can be solved using the equation x=ln(k)/ln(1+dV/V). This is derived by assuming that after each cycle, the air volume and pressure follow a T=const. process, and applying the equations pV=nRT and pV=nRT.
Yegor
Air pump is pumping out a gas from a vessel (vessel's volume is V).
After each cycle i it pumps out dV.
Gas is ideal. T=Const.
After how much cycles pressure P will decrease k times?

Here is my work.

PV = nRT
Initially n=n(0)

After each cycle n decreases (1-dV/V) times.
So, after x cycles n(x)=n(0)(1-dV/V)^x
k=p(0)/p(x)=n(0)/n(x)
n(x)/n(0)=(1-dV/V)^x
So x =ln(1/k)/ln(1-dV/V)

But the answer is x=ln(k)/ln(1+dV/V)

As I understand, they assume that after each cycle n decreases 1/(1+dV/V) times. In this way i really receive x=ln(k)/ln(1+dV/V)
I don't understand it. Help me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Has anybody any ideas?

They have done some mathematics with x =ln(1/k)/ln(1-dV/V) to arrive at a more nice looking answer.

x= -ln (k) / ln (1- dV/V)
= ln (k) / ln [(1-dV/V)] ^-1

now, [(1-dV/V)] ^-1 = 1 + dV/V (approximately)

so, x = ln (k) / ln [(1+dV/V)

Each cycle corresponds to a T=const. process. (in another version of this problem the pumping process is very fast and a the transformation would correspond to an adiabatic process - all you have to do is to add the exponent [tex]\gamma[/tex] to the equations below). After the first cycle the air volume increases from V to V+dV and the pressure decreases at [tex]p_1[/tex]. You have
[tex]p_0\cdot V=p_1\cdot (V+dV)[/tex]
After the first cycle, the pump takes out the air from dV, and you get again
[tex]p_1=p_0 \frac{V}{V+dv}[/tex]
In the second cycle,
[tex]p_1\cdot V=p_2\cdot (V+dV)[/tex]
and
[tex]p_2=p_1 \frac{V}{V+dv}=p_0 \frac{V^2}{(V+dv)^2}[/tex]

and so on...

[tex]p_n=p_{n-1} \frac{V}{V+dv}=p_0 \frac{V^n}{(V+dv)^n}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How does an air pump work?

An air pump works by using a piston or diaphragm to push air into a closed chamber. As the piston moves downward, it creates a vacuum that draws air in through an intake valve. When the piston moves upward, it compresses the air and pushes it out through an outlet valve.

2. What is the relationship between air pressure and volume in an air pump?

In an air pump, there is an inverse relationship between air pressure and volume. As the volume of the chamber decreases, the air molecules become more densely packed, resulting in an increase in air pressure. Conversely, as the volume increases, the air molecules become less densely packed, resulting in a decrease in air pressure.

3. How does the size of the air pump affect its performance?

The size of an air pump can affect its performance in several ways. A larger pump will generally have a higher pumping capacity, meaning it can move more air in a shorter amount of time. However, a smaller pump may be more efficient and use less power. The size of the pump will also determine the maximum pressure it can reach.

4. What factors can affect the efficiency of an air pump?

The efficiency of an air pump can be affected by several factors, such as the design of the pump, the type of motor used, and the condition of the pump's components. Other factors that can affect efficiency include the temperature and humidity of the air being pumped, as well as the quality and viscosity of the lubricant used.

5. How can I calculate the pressure and volume of air in an air pump?

The pressure and volume of air in an air pump can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to the number of molecules present and the temperature of the gas, and inversely proportional to the volume of the gas. By measuring these variables and plugging them into the equation, the pressure and volume of air in an air pump can be determined.