A case of Fermat's Last Theorem

• Thread starter stripes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of proving that there are no positive perfect cubes less than 1000 that are the sum of the cubes of two positive integers. The solution suggested using Fermat's Last Theorem to show that there are no integers satisfying the general case of a^3 + b^3 = c^3, and therefore there are no two perfect cubes whose sum is a positive perfect cube less than 1000. However, it was questioned if this approach is appropriate for a computer science course, and it was suggested to write a program to solve the problem. The individual stated that they were not able to complete the program in time, but they hope their "proof" is sufficient for the assignment.
stripes

Homework Statement

Prove that there are no positive perfect cubes less than 1000 that are the sum of the cubes of two positive integers.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

A brute for method (i.e., considering all cases), is far too tedious. Here is the answer I gave:

It is sufficient to consider the general case 'There are no three positive integers a, b, and c such that a^3 + b^3 = c^3'. From Fermat's Last Theorem, we know that there are no integers x, y, and z such that x^n + y^n = z^n for all natural numbers n>2. Therefore, if we consider the case n=3, we have that, by Fermat's Last Theorem, there are no positive integers that satisfy the original general case a^3 + b^3 = c^3. Therefore, we cannot find two perfect cubes of positive integers whose sum is a positive perfect cube less than 1000.

Other than that, I know there Euler's proof of this statement, but it is too involved for my level. It also seems that the answer I gave is too simple. This course is a computer science course where we study theoretical foundations of comp. sci., and I have taken a real analysis course in the past. In that real analysis course, the proof above would have probably sufficed, but it seems that, from what we've learned in the comp. sci. course, this isn't the right way to approach the problem.

The assignment is due now and I will be submitting it, but I wanted to know if my "proof" is appropriate here. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is computer science course, then you have a computer, yes? This isn't framed like a deep question. You are just asked about numbers less that 1000. The brute force solution is easily done. If you write a program. There really aren't that many cubes less than 1000.

Never thought about that. I have to write the program in Maple, and since I am an absolute beginner at Maple programming, I wasn't able to complete my exhaustive program in time. I hope my "proof" is good enough. Thanks for your input.

1. What is Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem is a mathematical theorem proposed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. It states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2.

2. Why is Fermat's Last Theorem significant?

Fermat's Last Theorem is significant because it remained unsolved for over 350 years, despite numerous attempts by mathematicians to prove or disprove it. Its eventual proof in 1995 by Andrew Wiles and Richard Taylor was a major breakthrough in mathematics.

3. What is "A Case of Fermat's Last Theorem" about?

"A Case of Fermat's Last Theorem" is a book written by Simon Singh that tells the story of the search for a proof of Fermat's Last Theorem. It follows the work of mathematicians such as Pierre de Fermat, Leonhard Euler, and Andrew Wiles, and explains the significance of the theorem and its eventual proof.

4. How did Andrew Wiles prove Fermat's Last Theorem?

Andrew Wiles proved Fermat's Last Theorem using a combination of advanced mathematical techniques, including elliptic curves and modular forms. His proof, which contained over 100 pages, was published in 1995 and was later verified by mathematicians Richard Taylor and John Coates.

5. What is the impact of Fermat's Last Theorem on mathematics?

Fermat's Last Theorem has had a significant impact on mathematics, as its proof required the development of new mathematical concepts and techniques. It also highlighted the importance of collaboration and persistence in solving complex mathematical problems. The proof has also led to further advancements in number theory and mathematics as a whole.