How many sides does the n-gon have?

In summary, the number of sides of an n-gon is 20 if no three diagonals are concurrent. The number of intersections of diagonals of a n-gon is 10 - k.
maverick280857
Here's a problem my friend gave me:

The number of points of intersection of diagonals of a n-gon is 70. If no three diagonals are concurrent, find the number of sides of the n-gon.

I believe the answer is 20.

I tried to work out for small values of n to get a feel but that didn't do much good. As n increases so does the number of intersection points but how to set up an expression relating this number to n? Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume we have 11 dots, arranged on the face of a clock (leaving a gap for "12 o'clock"). Create all the diagonals connecting these dots, and let the number of intersections be N(11). Now, what happens when you add a dot at 12 o'clock? Now, the line connecting 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock can be crossed 9 times by diagonals starting at 12. This is because there are 9 points under that diagonal (by "under a diagonal", I mean that if you were to connect 12 o'clock to a point under a diagonal, then the line joining 12 and that point would have to cross that diagonal). How many diagonals have 9 points under them? Just the one joining 1 and 11.

Consider the diagonal joining 5 and 7 o'clock. This diagonal has only one point under it, namely 6, so in crossing this diagonal, a line from 12 will only make 1 intersection. How many such diagonals are there? 9:

From 1 to 3 (with 2 underneath)
From 2 to 4 (with 3 underneath)
From 9 to 11 (with 10 underneath)

You can easily show that the number of diagonals with k points underneath is 10 - k. If you want to check this for yourself, choose a k, then let the first diagonal you consider be the one from 1 o'clock to the one at k+1 o'clock, and then just go clockwise around (so consider the diagonal from 2 o'clock to k+2 o'clock next) and you'll see that there are 10 - k such diagonals, and that these diagonals are all of them that have k underneath.

So, by adding a dot at 12 o'clock, how many intersections do you add?

[tex]\sum _{j = 1} ^{12 - 3} j(12 - 2 - j)[/tex]

In general, let's say you're adding the p'th dot, how many intersections do you add?

[tex]\sum _{j = 1} ^{p - 3} j(p - 2 - j)[/tex]

You can see why we go up to p-3. Imagine we're in the case with 12 again. How could we make a diagonal such that all the lines coming from 12 o'clock crossed it 12 times? Or even 11 times? Or even 10 times? Those are all impossible cases, and you'll see that p - 3 is, in general, the "largest" possible case. Why do we have "j(p - 2 - j)" in the sum? Well "j" is the number of intersections, and (p - 2 - j) is the number of ways to get these intersections. You should be able to figure out why this is. What does this give us?:

[tex]N(p) = N(p - 1) + \sum _{j = 1} ^{p - 3} j(p - 2 - j) = N(p - 1) + {{p - 1}\choose 3}[/tex]

With N(0) = ... = N(3) = 0. You can expand this expression for N(p) in terms of N(q) + (some stuff) for lower and lower values of q until you hit q = 3, i.e. you can find a closed form solution for this recurrence relation. You'll get:

[tex]N(p) = \sum _{i = 3} ^{p - 1} {{i}\choose 3}[/tex]

If you want, you can try writing it without the sum, i.e. just a closed form expression in terms of p so that it might be easier to solve for N(p) = 70, but you can just try N(p) for different values of p and find the right one. Note that your guess of 20 is way too big.

Make the diagram for p = 3, 4, 5, 6, and see how rapidly N(p) increases.

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply AKG (and sorry for my late reply)...I am going to take a printout of this and work it out.

Thanks and cheers
vivek

What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of counting and arranging objects or elements in a systematic way.

What are some common types of combinatorics problems?

Some common types of combinatorics problems include permutations, combinations, binomial coefficients, and graph theory.

How is combinatorics used in real life?

Combinatorics has many real-life applications, such as in computer science, genetics, cryptography, and statistics. It is used to solve problems related to data analysis, network optimization, and pattern recognition.

What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations refer to the number of ways to arrange a set of objects in a specific order, while combinations refer to the number of ways to select a subset of objects without regard to their order.

What are some strategies for solving combinatorics problems?

Some common strategies for solving combinatorics problems include using formulas, creating tree diagrams, and using the principle of inclusion-exclusion. It is also important to carefully read and understand the problem and to practice with similar problems to develop a strong intuition.