External Torque-Force Relation of Bolt

In summary, the person is trying to find a torque value to overcome friction, and notes that a 10.2kN force is required to move a 30mm bolt.
srosendal
Hi there everybody

I have a nice little problem which might not be so complicated after all.

I need to push a heavy object using torque applied on a bolt. This is done manually, and the necessary torque needed is of interets. The attachment explains it quite well, I think.

To overcome friction, the needed horisontal force to get moving is approximately 10 kN and the data of the metric bolt is as follows:

Diameter = 30 mm
Pitch = 1 mm (fine)

So to be able to push the block with F, T is to be found.

Suggestions anyone ?

Attachments

• Bolt Torque Force Calculation.png
    Bolt Torque Force Calculation.png
    14 KB · Views: 3,365
Engineering news on Phys.org
My attempt is currently to use

T = F * K * D
T = Torque
F = Force
K = Friction coefficient
D = Diameter of bolt

But my current understanding of this formula, is that it calculates the internal force of the bolt (as to estimate whether the bolt will break) - therefore I'm not sure if it will work on calculating the external force

Agree with 10.2kN. For that force, a 30mm bolt is hugely oversized, requiring too much torque. The fine pitch needs too many turns but doesn't reduce the torque.

For comparison, an M16 10.9 pulls 100kN at usual pre-tension.

The torque results essentially from friction at the screw:
- At the thread. Take the radius at mean thread depth, multiply by the friction coefficient (for instance 0.12 depending on materials and lubrication).
- At the screw's tip. You might take 2/3 of the radius, and some friction coefficient.
- The thread's pitch contributes very little! Compare it with the circumference.

To reduce the torque:
- Take a diameter as small as possible, that is about M5 or M6 (or even less with special steel) as long as it doesn't buckle.
- Lubricate with MoS2 powder (that's really dirty) or MoS2 grease.
- Cover all parts with Ptfe-impregnated nickel. Damned efficient, clean.
- Use a ball screw, as everyone does.

To reduce the number of turns, have a big pitch, which usually means a trapezium-shaped profile.

Likes 1 person
Great thanks for the reply and the tips on design. I have some constraints regarding changes in the design, but I thank you for the inputs, and I will consider them.

I guess in this case that it is the friction between bolt and thread that is of greatest concern and the pitch is almost negligible. I just find it a little counter-intuitive, that it will be more easy to move the object with a small bolt than a large one (that is if the load is below bolt yield/buckling), and also that you need almost the same force to move a heavy object with a 1 mm pictch as a 3 mm pitch.

1. What is external torque-force relation of bolt?

The external torque-force relation of bolt refers to the relationship between the amount of torque applied to a bolt and the resulting force exerted on the bolt. This relationship is important in understanding how to properly tighten and loosen bolts to achieve the desired level of force.

2. Why is it important to understand the external torque-force relation of bolt?

It is important to understand this relationship because it allows for proper and safe tightening of bolts. If a bolt is not tightened enough, it may come loose and cause equipment failure or safety hazards. On the other hand, over-tightening a bolt can lead to damage or failure of the bolt or surrounding materials.

3. How is the external torque-force relation of bolt determined?

The external torque-force relation of bolt is determined by the material properties of the bolt, such as its size, thread pitch, and material strength. It is also influenced by the material and surface conditions of the bolted joint, as well as the amount of lubrication used.

4. What factors can affect the external torque-force relation of bolt?

There are several factors that can affect this relationship, including the type and condition of the bolt and nut, the type and condition of the bolted material, the surface finish of the bolt, and the amount of lubrication used. Additionally, temperature and humidity can also impact the external torque-force relation of bolt.

5. How can the external torque-force relation of bolt be used in practical applications?

The external torque-force relation of bolt can be used in various practical applications, such as in engineering and construction projects, automotive and machinery assembly, and in maintenance and repair work. Knowing the appropriate torque-force relationship can ensure proper assembly and maintenance of equipment, leading to optimal performance and safety.