Need software for running primality checks.

In summary: I could try looking for a different program, but MatLab is very versatile so that's not ideal either. In summary, you are looking for a software that can do a primality check on "large" numbers.
mesa
Gold Member
I love pen and paper but am terrible with computing. I have a copy of MatLab on my computer and aside from the operating system and Word that's about it. I need software that can run primality checks on 'small' gigantic primes of 10,000-20,000 digits in length.

Where do I need to start?

Technology news on Phys.org
You probably mean that you want something already written that can do a primality check on large numbers.

A lot of software like gmp and pari have code, like the Miller-Rabin test, to do this, but you have to write pieces of your own code to actually do the check itself. There are posters here who have undoubtedly already done this.

I do not have anything like that myself.

So what I perceive that you want is to get a copy of someone's code with instructions on how to build and run it.
I'm pointing this out so that maybe someone will come forward for you.

jim mcnamara said:
You probably mean that you want something already written that can do a primality check on large numbers.

A lot of software like gmp and pari have code, like the Miller-Rabin test, to do this, but you have to write pieces of your own code to actually do the check itself. There are posters here who have undoubtedly already done this.

I do not have anything like that myself.

So what I perceive that you want is to get a copy of someone's code with instructions on how to build and run it.
I'm pointing this out so that maybe someone will come forward for you.

Your post is correct although I do have some help on this end. I really need to learn more about these things but need a starting point and the isprime feature on MatLab is not quite cutting it.

1. What is a primality check?

A primality check is a mathematical algorithm used to determine whether a given number is prime or not. A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself.

2. Why do we need software for running primality checks?

Doing primality checks manually can be time-consuming and prone to error. Software allows for a faster and more accurate way to determine the primality of a number.

3. How does primality checking software work?

Primality checking software uses a variety of algorithms, such as the Sieve of Eratosthenes or the Miller-Rabin test, to determine the primality of a number. These algorithms have been developed and refined by mathematicians and computer scientists over time.

4. What are the benefits of using primality checking software?

The main benefit of using software for primality checks is efficiency. It can quickly determine the primality of large numbers that would be difficult to check manually. Additionally, software eliminates the potential for human error in the calculation process.

5. Are there any limitations to primality checking software?

While primality checking software is generally reliable, it may have limitations when dealing with extremely large numbers. Additionally, some algorithms may produce false positives or false negatives, so it is important to use multiple methods for cross-checking results.