Can Waste Heat from an Oven Power an Absorption Refrigerator?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with designing a refrigeration system using waste exhaust heat from a tunnel oven. They are looking for the best solution for a refrigerant and how to put it into the system. The suggested solution is a LiBr-H2O system, with the minimum temperature needed to make it work being determined by the Carnot Efficiency of the absorption cycle. All values are in Kelvin.
Qonjex
Hello people I need your help.

I am kind new to refrigeration and I want to design one. I have a waste exhaust heat from the Exhaust of the tunnel oven that I have designed. Now I want to use that waste heat as the heat source for the Absorption refrigerator.

Q1: what's the best solution I can use as a refrigerant?

Q2: how can I put that solution into the system?

Thank you a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For absorption refrigerator, you can use LiBr-H2O system.

Thank you very much. What is minimum temperature that I should apply as a heat source to make the system work?

Carnot Efficiency of absorption cycle = ((T1-T2)/T1) * (T4/(T3-T4))
T1 = temperature of heat source
T4 = temperature of refrigerated space
T2 = T3 = ambient temperature
All values are in kelvin

Last edited:
LiBr-H2O system is the best.

1. What is absorption refrigeration?

Absorption refrigeration is a type of refrigeration system that works by using a heat source, such as a gas flame or solar energy, to drive a refrigeration cycle. It does not use any moving parts or electricity, making it a more environmentally friendly option.

2. How does absorption refrigeration work?

In an absorption refrigeration system, a refrigerant is absorbed into a solution, usually water, at a low pressure. This solution is then heated, causing the refrigerant to evaporate and form a vapor. The vapor is then condensed, releasing the heat energy and creating a cooling effect. The refrigerant is then reabsorbed into the solution and the cycle continues.

3. What are the advantages of absorption refrigeration?

One of the main advantages of absorption refrigeration is that it does not require any electricity to operate, making it a more cost-effective and environmentally friendly option. It also has fewer moving parts, making it more reliable and requiring less maintenance. Absorption refrigeration systems can also use a variety of heat sources, making them versatile and suitable for different environments.

4. What are the limitations of absorption refrigeration?

One limitation of absorption refrigeration is that it has a lower cooling capacity compared to traditional refrigeration systems, making it more suitable for smaller cooling needs. It also requires a heat source to operate, which may not be readily available in all locations. Absorption refrigeration systems also tend to be more expensive upfront compared to traditional systems.

5. What are some common applications of absorption refrigeration?

Absorption refrigeration is commonly used in RVs, boats, and other off-grid applications where electricity may not be readily available. It is also used in some large-scale industrial applications, such as cooling in chemical plants and food processing facilities. Additionally, absorption refrigeration is gaining popularity in residential and commercial buildings as a sustainable alternative to traditional refrigeration systems.