Efficient Laser Steam Generation for High Pressure Vessels: Expert Suggestions

In summary: So the question becomes: what is the maximum temperature you want to achieve? If it's only for a short time (e.g. 10-15 seconds) then you can probably get away with using lower power lasers. But if you're looking to achieve a higher temperature for an extended period of time, then you'll need to use higher power lasers. 115 degrees C is a good starting point.
Chippit
I am working on a new concept design and would like some suggestions on which Lasers(s) would be most appropriate for heating a high pressure vessel for producing steam. The concept requires very quick steam generation but heat can not be excessive enough to harm the vessel being heated. As a starting point, 115 degrees C should be sufficient. My concept calls for a number of lasers used in a concentric sprial application.
Any Thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chippit said:
I am working on a new concept design and would like some suggestions on which Lasers(s) would be most appropriate for heating a high pressure vessel for producing steam. The concept requires very quick steam generation but heat can not be excessive enough to harm the vessel being heated. As a starting point, 115 degrees C should be sufficient. My concept calls for a number of lasers used in a concentric sprial application.
Any Thoughts?

Welcome to the PF.

That's an extremely inefficient way to heat a vessel. Can you say why you want to use lasers instead of just using nichrome wire?

I concur. Heat by laser is not very efficient. Current solid state lasers are much better than other technologies used in the past. But still, multi-kilowatt lasers sufficient for any kind of significant heating will require a lot of input energy...most of which goes up in waste heat. What size vessel? Lasers typically only achieve sufficient power density (watt/cm^2) to do useful thermal work when focused to a small spot. And THAT is one of the primary useful features of lasers: focusing to a small spot.

Current boiler technology is about 88% efficient in transferring the heat of combustion into turning water into superheated steam. It's not clear how quick 'very quick' is for the OP's application. Also, you don't necessarily want to heat the pressure vessel to generate the steam: you want to heat the water inside the PV.

I would suggest considering using a fiber laser for this application. Fiber lasers have high power and can be easily focused to a small spot, making them efficient for heating a specific area quickly. Additionally, they have a high repetition rate, allowing for rapid heating and steam generation.

In terms of the laser parameters, I would recommend using a continuous wave (CW) fiber laser with a wavelength in the near-infrared range, such as 1064 nm. This wavelength is known for its efficient absorption in water, which is the main component of steam. It also has low absorption in most materials, reducing the risk of damaging the vessel.

To further control the heat and prevent excessive heating, you could consider using a pulsed mode of the laser. This would allow for precise control of the heating process and avoid overheating the vessel.

In terms of the concentric spiral application, it would be important to carefully design the positioning and spacing of the lasers to ensure uniform heating and steam generation. Computational modeling and simulations can be helpful in optimizing this setup.

Overall, using a high-power fiber laser with a near-infrared wavelength and precise control of the pulse mode would be my recommendation for efficient laser steam generation in high pressure vessels. I would also suggest conducting thorough testing and safety measures to ensure the vessel is not harmed during the process.

1. What is laser steam generation?

Laser steam generation is a process in which a laser beam is used to heat a material, typically water, to produce steam. This is achieved by focusing the laser beam onto the surface of the material, causing it to rapidly heat up and evaporate into steam.

2. How does laser steam generation work?

Laser steam generation works by using a laser beam to heat the surface of a material. The laser beam is typically focused onto a small area, causing the material to rapidly heat up and produce steam. This process is often used in industrial and scientific applications, such as in the production of clean energy or for materials processing.

3. What are the advantages of laser steam generation?

One of the main advantages of laser steam generation is its high efficiency. Compared to traditional methods of steam generation, laser steam generation can achieve much higher temperatures and generate steam at a faster rate. Additionally, laser steam generation is a more precise and controlled process, making it useful for a wide range of applications.

4. What are the potential applications of laser steam generation?

Laser steam generation has a variety of potential applications in fields such as energy production, materials processing, and medical treatments. It can be used to generate clean energy from renewable sources, such as solar power, and to produce high-quality materials with precise surface properties. In medicine, laser steam generation can be utilized for sterilization and tissue ablation.

5. Are there any limitations to laser steam generation?

While laser steam generation has many advantages, it also has some limitations. One potential limitation is the high cost of the equipment and maintenance required for this process. Additionally, laser steam generation may not be suitable for all materials and may require specific conditions, such as a clean and controlled environment, for optimal performance.