Linear Actuator (Solenoid pushing a cylindrical magnet)

In summary, the conversation is about a person creating their own electromechanical actuator to replace the vacuum actuator on their Jeep Cherokee's front axle. They have already replaced the vacuum actuator multiple times and want to use their knowledge of the force and stroke length to make their own solution. They are looking for an equation to accurately calculate the repelling force between a spring and a magnet in their design. However, someone suggests considering buying a pre-made solution such as the "4x4 Posi-Lok" cable conversion kit for the differential.
CaptainofIron
I am working on a home made electromechanical actuator to replace the vacuum actuator on the front axle of my Jeep Cherokee.

The vacuum actuator isn't the greatest and I have replaced it and the system lines few times.

SO I figure, I know what force the vacuum actuator is putting out, I know the stroke length, I have stuff to make this, why not?

BUT I want to get the physics right in my head first.

SO, Let's say I have a spring that will push a cylindrical magnet away from the shift fork, and a solenoid made from wiring that push the magnet into the shift fork. Which engages the hubs.

I already figured out the spring portion and drawn out the magnetic field interaction.

Does anybody have an equation to get an accurate (or conservative) repelling force for the solenoid and the magnet?

I haven't really found a good source, wiki has some, but I don't trust wikipedia.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Before you go through the trouble of trying to engineer something from scratch (and something with electrical components for that matter), you might consider just buying something. Take for example the "4x4 Posi-Lok" which is a cable conversion kit for your differential. It will let you maintain the disengaging capability on your axle with a simple cable-actuated solution.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_jeep.html
kit900_lg.jpg

1. What is a linear actuator?

A linear actuator is a device that converts rotational motion into linear motion. In other words, it converts the spinning motion of a motor or solenoid into a straight-line motion.

2. How does a solenoid pushing a cylindrical magnet work in a linear actuator?

In a linear actuator, the solenoid is energized, creating a magnetic field that attracts the cylindrical magnet. This causes the magnet to move in a straight line, pushing or pulling the attached load. When the solenoid is de-energized, the magnet returns to its original position.

3. What are the advantages of using a linear actuator with a solenoid and cylindrical magnet?

Using a solenoid and cylindrical magnet in a linear actuator allows for precise and controlled movement, as well as fast response times. It also eliminates the need for mechanical linkages, reducing the risk of wear and tear.

4. What are some common applications of linear actuators with solenoid and cylindrical magnet?

Linear actuators with solenoid and cylindrical magnet are commonly used in various industries, such as robotics, automotive, aerospace, and medical equipment. They are used for tasks such as opening and closing doors, adjusting valves, and controlling robotic arms.

5. Are there different types of linear actuators with solenoid and cylindrical magnet?

Yes, there are various types of linear actuators that use a solenoid and cylindrical magnet, such as ball screw, lead screw, and roller screw actuators. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications, so it is important to carefully choose the right type for your specific needs.