Navigating a New Relationship: Should I Ask Her Out?

In summary, the girl is interested in you, but you're worried about moving too fast. You could try asking her out on a date or meeting up for coffee.
cragar said:
even if I get rejected, I will just keep trying till I find someone.
But Do you think it would be ok to ask her to meet up to talk about random philosophy stuff or something along those lines, should I say I like talking to her.

I think you should say whatever comes to mind while talking to her. I don't think it's a good idea to plan out things you're going to say, because then it's scripted and you try to work it in instead of letting the conversation flow naturally.

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
I think you should say whatever comes to mind while talking to her. I don't think it's a good idea to plan out things you're going to say, because then it's scripted and you try to work it in instead of letting the conversation flow naturally.

Ditto to that.

Cragar, good luck!

cragar said:
even if I get rejected, I will just keep trying till I find someone.
Slow down. You may want to use the experience to take some time to find out more about yourself, what you like, getting comfortable with yourself. Perhaps you are well read. But where have you traveled? What have you done? Announcing "I will just keep trying" might reflect resilience, but if followed blindly smacks of desperation, with little sense of self. Self knowledge and experience leads to confidence and enthusiasm; it is that which makes one attractive to another, *especially* for males in pursuit of females.

But Do you think it would be ok to ask her to meet up to talk about random philosophy stuff or something along those lines, ...
Random? No. Who wants to listen to truly random? If you have some particular area of philosophy or philosophers about which you are engaged, and have some ability to relate that material to someone else, then by all means. That said, be sure to include acknowledgment in the conversation that the topic *may* be laborious to someone else, i.e. "Forgive me for going on about this, perhaps its laborious, but I love Kant", which is a way of saying I know I'm here with woman and its not all about me. And then be prepared to change the subject if need be.

Lavabug said:
Online dating sites reflect the issue very well, although probably in a bit more exaggerated fashion. It is well known most men on dating sites do extremely poorly in getting any dates, society or what have you at has made it so that the game/choice is always skewed in favor of women.
Yes this is true. I've seen it happen many times.

Initially just get into the habit of approaching women confidently. Do several approaches, more than a few times you might be politely rejected, but that's ok. Do this several hundred times. This will help you in several ways.

It will remove your fear of approaching women. The fear of rejection will vanish. The transition from approaching to holding a conversation and even getting her phone number will be much more smoother.

dirk_mec1 said:
Yes this is true. I've seen it happen many times.

It may be time for a different approach. It helps if the initial intention is not to ask the person out but just to chat and see where it goes from there. This goes for both men and women, when you are comfortable in any setting everything goes as it should.

Last edited:
mesa said:
It may be time for a different approach. It helps if the initial intention is not to ask the person out but just to chat and see where it goes from there. This goes for both men and women, when you are comfortable in any setting everything goes as it should.
If the villagers have no bread, let them eat cake.

This is more often than not a 1 way ticket to the friend zone for males. Avoid this if you actually want a date.

Lavabug said:

This is more often than not a 1 way ticket to the friend zone for males. Avoid this if you actually want a date.

Many here are saying they are experiencing a high rate of rejection, if this is the case then it is time for a different approach because it shouldn't be that way. A good place to start is by honing basic social skills and the best way to do that is by talking to more people (both men and women) in everyday situations.

Or you can stay the course and see how that works out.

Lavabug said:

No, that's a 1-way ticket to the friend zone if you do nothing more have friendly chats. His idea is not to go in with expectations, but to be friendly with the other person, and see where it goes. Poorly? Don't ask out on date. Well? Ask out on date. If you entirely forgo the "ask out on date" section, then it might lead to the "friend zone."

Anyway, the friend zone is a myth for guys who never solidly set forth their intentions. Mesa is proposing that you ought to hold off on revealing your intentions for a relationship until after you have a nice conversation with a woman. Seems like good advice to me.

<h2>1. How do I know if I should ask her out?</h2><p>The decision to ask someone out can be nerve-wracking, but ultimately it comes down to your own feelings and intuition. If you find yourself constantly thinking about this person and wanting to spend more time with them, it may be a sign that you should ask them out. It's also important to consider if the person seems interested in you and if you have a good connection with them.</p><h2>2. When is the right time to ask her out?</h2><p>Timing is important when it comes to asking someone out. It's best to wait until you have gotten to know the person a bit and have established a good rapport with them. This could be after a few conversations or a few dates. It's also important to consider if the person is ready for a new relationship and if they have expressed interest in dating.</p><h2>3. Should I ask her out in person or through text/online?</h2><p>While it may be easier to ask someone out through text or online, it's always best to do it in person if possible. This shows that you are confident and serious about pursuing a relationship with them. It also allows for better communication and the opportunity to gauge their reaction and respond accordingly.</p><h2>4. What if she says no?</h2><p>Rejection is always a possibility when asking someone out, but it's important to remember that it's not a reflection of your worth as a person. If she says no, it's important to respect her decision and move on. Don't take it personally and continue to focus on building a strong connection with her as a friend, if possible.</p><h2>5. How do I handle the first date?</h2><p>The first date can be nerve-wracking, but remember to be yourself and have fun. It's important to listen and ask questions to get to know the person better. Be respectful, considerate, and make an effort to make the date enjoyable for both of you. And don't forget to follow up afterwards to let her know you had a great time and would like to see her again.</p>

1. How do I know if I should ask her out?

The decision to ask someone out can be nerve-wracking, but ultimately it comes down to your own feelings and intuition. If you find yourself constantly thinking about this person and wanting to spend more time with them, it may be a sign that you should ask them out. It's also important to consider if the person seems interested in you and if you have a good connection with them.

2. When is the right time to ask her out?

Timing is important when it comes to asking someone out. It's best to wait until you have gotten to know the person a bit and have established a good rapport with them. This could be after a few conversations or a few dates. It's also important to consider if the person is ready for a new relationship and if they have expressed interest in dating.

3. Should I ask her out in person or through text/online?

While it may be easier to ask someone out through text or online, it's always best to do it in person if possible. This shows that you are confident and serious about pursuing a relationship with them. It also allows for better communication and the opportunity to gauge their reaction and respond accordingly.

4. What if she says no?

Rejection is always a possibility when asking someone out, but it's important to remember that it's not a reflection of your worth as a person. If she says no, it's important to respect her decision and move on. Don't take it personally and continue to focus on building a strong connection with her as a friend, if possible.

5. How do I handle the first date?

The first date can be nerve-wracking, but remember to be yourself and have fun. It's important to listen and ask questions to get to know the person better. Be respectful, considerate, and make an effort to make the date enjoyable for both of you. And don't forget to follow up afterwards to let her know you had a great time and would like to see her again.