Calculating Work in an Electric Field: Moving Point Charges

In summary, the minimum amount of work required by an external force to move two identical point charges of q = +1.25 x 10-8 C, separated by a distance of 1.10 m, closer together so that they are only 0.60 m apart is 1x10^-6. Similarly, the minimum amount of work needed to move a +2.7 µC charge to infinity, in a system of n point charges, is -.4779. The formula for calculating electrostatic potential energy stored in a system of n point charges is U = 0.5(q1V1 + q2V2 + q3V3 + ... qnVn), where q is a charge
Scirel
Two identical point charges of q = +1.25 x 10-8 C are separated by a distance of 1.10 m. What is the minimum amount of work required by an external force to move them closer together so that they are only 0.60 m apart?

I have no idea how to do this. I tried using -q(Vb-Va), but that got me 1x10^-6, which is wrong.

The figure below shows three charges at the corners of a rectangle of length x = 0.45 m and height y = 0.29 m. What is the minimum amount of work needed to move the +2.7 µC charge to infinity?

potentialR.gif

Again, same thing, I tried using that formula, and Vb would be 0 since it is to infinity, but I got -.4779, which is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The total amount of electrostatic potential energy stored in a system of n point charges is
U = 0.5(q1V1 + q2V2 + q3V3 + ... qnVn)
Where q is a charge and V is the potential at that point (q) due to all other charges.

I think the idea here is that you just flip the sign around from positive to negative depending on the context. If you are bringing the charges closer together you are adding work to the system so it should be a positive value of work. If you are bringing the charges from close back to infinity then I think you just switch to a minus sign and report a negative amount of work (system is losing energy). Either way, the signs are the only thing that really differ (the answer is the same, you just change the sign to plus or minus depending on the context). I always get confused about which is which on these types of problems as well...

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons. It is commonly used to power appliances, lights, and other devices.

2. How does electricity work?

Electricity works by flowing through a closed circuit, from a power source through a conductor and back to the source. In this process, it powers devices and performs work.

3. What are the different types of electricity?

There are two main types of electricity: direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC electricity flows in one direction, while AC electricity switches direction periodically.

4. How is electricity generated?

Electricity can be generated through various methods, including burning fossil fuels, nuclear reactions, and renewable sources such as wind and solar power. These methods involve turning a turbine to create electricity.

5. What are some common uses of electricity?

Electricity is used for a variety of purposes, including lighting, heating, cooling, transportation, and powering electronics and appliances. It is also essential for many industrial processes and medical equipment.