Complex exponentials and differential equations

In summary, the solution to the given differential equation using complex exponentials is y= C_1e^{(\frac{3}{2}+ i)t}+ C_2e^{(\frac{3}{2}-i)t} where C_1 and C_2 are constants found from the initial conditions y(0)= 0 and y'(0)= 1.
Pixter
guestion: Use complex exponentials to find the solution of the differential equation

(d^2y(t)/dt^2) + (3dy(t)/dt) + (25/4)y(t) = 0

such that y(0) = 0, dy/dt =1 for t=o

my taughts: I started by putting it in the form m^2 + 3m +25/4
m = (-3sqrt(9-25))/2 = (-3sqrt(-16))/2 = (-3+-4i)/2

then i thaught one can put it in the form e^pt(AcosQt+BsinQt) [p+-Qi]

so: y = (e^(-3/2)t)(Acos2t + Bsin2t)

y(0)=0 dy/dt=1 for t=0 y=Ae^(((-3+4i)/2)t) + Be^(((-3-4i)/2)t)

0 = (e^(-3/2)t)(Acos2t + Bsin2t)
0 = (Acos2t + Bsin2t)
0 = A + 0
A=0
dy/dt = (-3/2(e^(-3/2)t))(Acos2theta + Bsin2theta) + (e^(-3/2)t)(-2Asin2t + 2Bcos2t)
1=(-3/2)A +2B
2B = 1 (because A=0)
B=1/2
so y(t) = e^((-3/2)t) ((1/2)sin2t)

Don't know if I have done the question right or even got the question at all. just wanted to know if this is right, or if I'm on the right track but made a misstake on the way. Also if I'm completely wrong please point that out and give me a pointer where to start. Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Pixter said:
guestion: Use complex exponentials to find the solution of the differential equation
(d^2y(t)/dt^2) + (3dy(t)/dt) + (25/4)y(t) = 0
such that y(0) = 0, dy/dt =1 for t=o
my taughts: I started by putting it in the form m^2 + 3m +25/4
m = (-3sqrt(9-25))/2 = (-3sqrt(-16))/2 = (-3+-4i)/2
then i thaught one can put it in the form e^pt(AcosQt+BsinQt) [p+-Qi]
so: y = (e^(-3/2)t)(Acos2t + Bsin2t)
y(0)=0 dy/dt=1 for t=0 y=Ae^(((-3+4i)/2)t) + Be^(((-3-4i)/2)t)
0 = (e^(-3/2)t)(Acos2t + Bsin2t)
0 = (Acos2t + Bsin2t)
0 = A + 0
A=0
dy/dt = (-3/2(e^(-3/2)t))(Acos2theta + Bsin2theta) + (e^(-3/2)t)(-2Asin2t + 2Bcos2t)
1=(-3/2)A +2B
2B = 1 (because A=0)
B=1/2
so y(t) = e^((-3/2)t) ((1/2)sin2t)
Don't know if I have done the question right or even got the question at all. just wanted to know if this is right, or if I'm on the right track but made a misstake on the way. Also if I'm completely wrong please point that out and give me a pointer where to start. Cheers

It's not at all clear what you did! You apparently wrote the solution to the differential equation in terms of real functions, sine and cosine, converted those to complex exponential, found the constants A and B to give the initial conditions and then converted back to real functions. I don't believe that was what was intended by "use complex exponentials to find the solution".

First solve the characteristic equation m2 + 3m +25/4= 0.
(I don't like your phrasing "putting it in the form". You didn't put the differential equation in this form- this is the characteristic equation for the differential equation. Also you didn't write it as an equation, you just wrote "m2 + 3m +25/4" and then declared what m must be!)
You solved that correctly: m= (3/2)+ i and (3/2)- i.
Remember that one way of getting the characteristic equation is to look for a solution of the form emx. You don't need to go through the "sine", "cosine" form: the general solution to the differential equation, in terms of complex exponentials is:
[tex]y= C_1e^{(\frac{3}{2}+ i)t}+ C_2e^{(\frac{3}{2}-i)t}[/tex]
Taking t= 0 in that gives [tex]y(0)= C_1+ C_2= 0[/tex]
Differentiating the general solution gives
[tex]y'= (\frac{3}{2}+ i)C_1e^{(\frac{3}{2}+ i)t}+(\frac{3}{2}- i)C_2e^{(\frac{3}{2}+ i)t}[/tex]
[tex]y'(0)= (\frac{3}{2}+ i)C_1+ (\frac{3}{2}+ i)C_2= 1[/tex].

Once you have found C1 and C2 I see no reason why you can't just leave the solution in "complex exponential" form!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, you are on the right track! Your approach using complex exponentials is correct. However, there is a small mistake in your final equation for y(t). The correct solution is y(t) = e^(-3/2t)(1/2)sin(2t) + e^(-3/2t)(1/2)cos(2t). This can be verified by plugging it into the original differential equation and using the initial conditions. Keep up the good work!

1. What are complex exponentials?

Complex exponentials are mathematical expressions of the form e^(ix), where e is the base of the natural logarithm and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). They are used to represent oscillatory functions in mathematics and physics.

2. How are complex exponentials used in differential equations?

In differential equations, complex exponentials are used to represent solutions that involve oscillatory behavior. They are particularly useful in solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients, where the solution can be expressed as a linear combination of complex exponentials.

3. What is the relationship between complex exponentials and trigonometric functions?

Complex exponentials and trigonometric functions are closely related through Euler's formula: e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This relationship allows us to express trigonometric functions in terms of complex exponentials and vice versa.

4. How do complex exponentials simplify the solution of differential equations?

Complex exponentials can simplify the solution of differential equations by reducing them to algebraic equations, which are often easier to solve. In particular, they can make it easier to solve differential equations involving oscillatory behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex exponentials and differential equations?

Complex exponentials and differential equations have numerous applications in science and engineering, including in the fields of signal processing, electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in the analysis and design of oscillatory systems such as electronic circuits and mechanical structures.