Derivative of x^(x^2) with Respect to x | Calculus Homework Help

In summary, the homework statement is to differentiate x^{x^2}, with respect to x. Differentiate x^{x^2}, with respect to x, using the exponential function. The attempt at a solution is to arrive at x^{x^2}.(2x.\ln(x)+x). However, I'm pretty confident this is wrong, as x^{x^2}.(2x.\ln(x)+x) does not seem to satisfy the equation x^{x^2}=x^{x^2}.(2x.\ln(x)+x). I went y(x)=x^{x^2}, then took the natural logarithm of both sides. Since \ln
nobahar

Homework Statement

Differentiate [tex]x^{x^2}[/tex], with respect to x

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (x^{x^2})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I arrived at... (ready?)

(ta dah!): [tex]x^{x^2}.(2x.\ln(x)+x)[/tex]

I'm pretty confident this is wrong...

I went [tex]y(x)=x^{x^2}[/tex], then took the natural logarithm of both sides

Since [tex]\ln(x^{x^2}) = x^2.\ln(x) and \frac{d}{d(y(x))} (ln (y(x))) = \frac{1}{y(x)}[/tex]

I got:

[tex]\frac{1}{y(x)} . \frac{d(y(x))}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx} (x^2.\ln(x))[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{y(x)} . \frac{d(y(x))}{dx} = 2x.\ln(x)+\frac{x^2}{x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d(y(x))}{dx} = 2x.\ln(x)+\frac{x^2}{x} . x^{x^2} = x^{x^2}.(2x.\ln(x)+x)[/tex]

As I said, I think this is wrong. I've been working through examples all day and figured I might be able to come back to it, and hopefully figure it out (that is my excuse, and I'm sticking with it! :smile:); but since I don't have easy access to a computer, I thought I might ask you guys now, and check back tomorrow to see if anyone has offered any help.
Thanks everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eh I think that is right, though I did it in my head. It's easy if you write it as the exponential of (x^2)(ln x), from which you get the original expression times the derivative of (x^2)(ln x) which by the product rule is 2x(ln x) + x.

I don't see why you think this would be wrong, because it's not.

Yup, I think it's pretty correct.

Snipez90, Cyosis & Karkas: Thankyou.
The question was from a multiple choice "quiz" that I saw, and I just didn't recognise the answer that I got (above) from being one of the possibilities: that's why I thought it was wrong. But it seems its not! Thanks for the responses everyone!

1. What is the derivative of x^(x^2)?

The derivative of x^(x^2) is (x^(x^2))' = (x^2)(x^(x^2-1))(1+2lnx).

2. How do you differentiate a function with an exponent raised to another exponent?

To differentiate x^(x^2), you can use the chain rule and product rule together. First, rewrite the function as e^(ln(x^x^2)). Then, using the chain rule, take the derivative of the exponent, which is x^2, and multiply it by the original function. Finally, using the product rule, take the derivative of the base, which is x, and multiply it by the original function raised to the exponent minus 1.

3. Can x^(x^2) be simplified before finding its derivative?

Yes, x^(x^2) can be rewritten as e^(ln(x^x^2)) before finding its derivative. This makes it easier to apply the chain rule and product rule.

4. Are there any special cases when differentiating x^(x^2)?

Yes, when x = 0, the derivative of x^(x^2) is undefined since it would result in a division by 0. Additionally, when x = 1, the derivative is 2 because the exponent becomes 0, making it a constant function.

5. How does the graph of x^(x^2) change as x approaches positive and negative infinity?

As x approaches positive and negative infinity, the graph of x^(x^2) approaches 1. This is because the exponent x^2 becomes increasingly larger, causing the function to approach 0 as it is divided by a larger number. This can also be seen by taking the limit of x^(x^2) as x approaches infinity, which equals 1.