Partial Differential Equations Question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the link between constants omega and beta in order for a given solution to be a solution of the partial differential equation \frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}}=2\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}. The conversation goes on to suggest trying to solve the PDE itself and comparing the general solution to the given solution in order to find the values of omega and beta. It is also mentioned that the relationship between beta and omega can be found by factoring in both expressions and equating them.
Hendrick

Homework Statement

Find the link between constants [tex]\omega[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex]

so that http://www4e.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP181963g2e5f4i43d3b00005ief8e24920ah323?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=20
is a solution of [tex]\frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}}=2\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex]

(A & B are constants)

Homework Equations

I think that [tex]\frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}}=2\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex] could be in the form of a 1D heat equation

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}}=[/tex]http://www4e.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP13061963dh6ehe94f57b000031ii70cfaaf938aa?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=24

[tex]2\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=[/tex]http://www4e.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP12211963dh8b7ca90e2d000034i7h8i9cfgdbif7?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=27

I've tried to equate the two PDEs above to solve for [tex]\omega[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] but I can't work out a solution for them, therefore I think I'm going about this problem the wrong way.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What if you ignored the given solution for a while and tried solving the PDE itself in order to obtain a general solution in terms of some constants? You could then compare that general solution to the given solution in order to find omega and beta by inspection. Is this possible?

Hi, do you mean try solving [tex]\frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}}=2\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex] without substituting u, first? Thanks

I haven't looked whether you differentiated correctly, but in their current form the relation between beta and omega is pretty obvious. Factor out beta^2 in your first expression and factor out omega in your second expression, equate and divide.

Hi Cyosis, I did make a mistake while equating. Thank you :)

1. What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function of several independent variables. It is used to describe how the function changes with respect to each of the independent variables.

2. What are some real-life applications of partial differential equations?

Partial differential equations have many applications in science, engineering, and economics. They are used to model phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, population growth, and financial markets.

3. How are partial differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving partial differential equations, including separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the type of PDE and the boundary conditions.

4. What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

A partial differential equation involves partial derivatives of an unknown function, while an ordinary differential equation only involves derivatives with respect to a single independent variable. PDEs are used to model systems with multiple independent variables, while ODEs are used for systems with a single independent variable.

5. Are there any famous partial differential equations?

Yes, there are many famous PDEs that have had a significant impact in various fields. Some examples include the heat equation, Navier-Stokes equations, and the Black-Scholes equation. These equations have been studied extensively and have led to important discoveries and developments in their respective fields.