Finding the rate of change of the distance between 2 cars

In summary, the distance between two cars, car A traveling north on Highway 16 and car B traveling west on Highway 83, is changing at a rate of 143 km/h at a certain moment when car A is 0.3 km from the intersection and traveling at 90 km/h while car B is 0.4 km from the intersection and traveling at 80 km/h. This is determined using the equation D = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and the partial derivative formula d(D)/dt = (partial D/partial x)(dx/dt) + (partial D/partial y)(dy/dt). The negative rates of change for x and y are also taken into consideration.
tnutty

Homework Statement

Car A is traveling north on Highway 16 and car B is traveling west on Highway 83. Each car is approaching the intersection of these highways. At a certain moment, car A is 0.3 km from the intersection and traveling at 90km/h while car B is 0.4km from the intersection and traveling at 80km/h. How fast is the distance between the cars changing at that moment?

Attempt :

D = sqrt(x^2 + y ^ 2)

Let C = sqrt(x^2 + y^2);

d(D) = dD/dx dx + dD/dy dy

= x/C dx + y/C dy

we are given x = 0.3, y = 0.4 , dx = 90 and dy = 80, so

d(D) = dx/6 + 8dy/5;

Now just plug in dx and y ,

so the answer I got is 143 .

Can you check this?

Physics news on Phys.org
tnutty said:

Homework Statement

Car A is traveling north on Highway 16 and car B is traveling west on Highway 83. Each car is approaching the intersection of these highways. At a certain moment, car A is 0.3 km from the intersection and traveling at 90km/h while car B is 0.4km from the intersection and traveling at 80km/h. How fast is the distance between the cars changing at that moment?

Attempt :

D = sqrt(x^2 + y ^ 2)

Let C = sqrt(x^2 + y^2)
I think i see what you are trying to do, but i think its poor notation, be explicit in variables if confused

let the distance between the 2 cars, D, be exressed in terms of their distances form the intersection, x,y
[tex] D(x,y) = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} [/tex]
then at the point in time when x = 0.3, y = 0.4, then you let
[tex] C = D(0.3,0,4) [/tex]
i don't think there is a real need for C and its a little confusing...

tnutty said:
d(D) = dD/dx dx + dD/dy dy

= x/C dx + y/C dy
this the small change formula, change in D for a small change in x & y - though you need to show how you got to the next step (the differentiation)

that said it should be in form of the partial derivatives of D wrt x & y, and you might as well relate it directly to the rate of cahnge with time of D, which is what you want at the end of the day ie.

[tex] \frac{d D(x,y)}{dt} = \frac{\partial D(x,y)}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} +\frac{\partial D(x,y)}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

this is true for all values, not just at C = D(0.3,0.4)
tnutty said:
we are given x = 0.3, y = 0.4 , dx = 90 and dy = 80, so
these dx & dys are not small changes - so even if it gives you the corrcet answer (whih I'm not sure of) you should probably format it as given above

ALso as x,y are the sides of a triangle, tey are decreasing in length
[tex] \frac{d x}{dt} = -90km/hr, \frac{d x}{dt} = -80km/hr,[/tex]

tnutty said:
d(D) = dx/6 + 8dy/5;

Now just plug in dx and y ,

so the answer I got is 143 .

Can you check this?
and finally what are your units?

Last edited:

1. What is the rate of change of the distance between 2 cars?

The rate of change of the distance between 2 cars, also known as the relative velocity, is the change in distance between the two cars over a specific time interval. It can be calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time.

2. How do you measure the distance between 2 cars?

The distance between 2 cars can be measured using various tools such as a measuring tape, laser rangefinder, or radar gun. These tools provide accurate measurements of the distance between the two cars.

3. Why is it important to find the rate of change of the distance between 2 cars?

Knowing the rate of change of the distance between 2 cars can help determine the speed and direction of each car, as well as potential collision risks. It is also important for traffic control and accident reconstruction purposes.

4. What factors affect the rate of change of the distance between 2 cars?

The rate of change of the distance between 2 cars can be affected by various factors such as the speed and direction of each car, road conditions, traffic density, and driver behavior. These factors can change the rate of change at any given time.

5. Can the rate of change of the distance between 2 cars be negative?

Yes, the rate of change of the distance between 2 cars can be negative, indicating that the distance between the cars is decreasing. This can happen when the cars are moving towards each other or when one car is slowing down while the other is maintaining its speed.