Understanding Matter Waves and Wave-Vector Distribution in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fourier integral to show that a matter wave with a wave-vector distribution given in a diagram has a specific form. The conversation also includes calculations for finding the probability of finding a particle described by the wavefunction in a specific region. There may be a typo in the given equation and there is difficulty in evaluating one of the integrals involved in the calculation.
tyco05
G'day guys,
Just looking for a bit of help... I'm not sure that I fully understand the question here either... but here goes:

a) Using the Fourier integral,
[tex] \Psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}a(k)e^{ikx}dk[/tex]
Show that a matter wave having a wave-vector distribution given in the diagram below (see attached), has the form:
[tex]\Psi(x)=\sqrt{\frac{\Delta k}{2\pi}} \frac{\sin{\frac{\Delta kx}{2}}}{\frac{\Delta kx}{2}} e^{ik_0 x}[/tex]

(note that [itex]\Delta k[/itex] is a constant in the above diagram (attached))

b) Calculate the probability of finding a particle given by the above wavefunction in the region [itex] -\infty<x<+\infty[/itex]

For part a) I'm just assuming that I am supposed to work out the Fourier integral for the given function a(k), and that should work out to what's above right??... Whenever I do that, however I can't get it! Is this the right way to approach this? Or is there simply a mistake somewhere in my workings? (My maths is a bit scratchy at the moment) Here it is... (I'm new to this LaTex game too by the way, so please be gentle)

[tex] \Psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}a(k)e^{ikx}dk[/tex]

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\left[\int_{-\infty}^{k_0 -\frac{\Delta k}{2}}a(k)e^{ikx}dk + \int_{k_0 -\frac{\Delta k}{2}}^{k_0 +\frac{\Delta k}{2}}a(k)e^{ikx}dk + \int_{k_0 +\frac{\Delta k}{2}}^{+\infty}a(k)e^{ikx}dk\right][/tex]

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\left[\int_{-\infty}^{k_0 -\frac{\Delta k}{2}}(0)e^{ikx}dk + \int_{k_0 -\frac{\Delta k}{2}}^{k_0 +\frac{\Delta k}{2}}(1)e^{ikx}dk + \int_{k_0 +\frac{\Delta k}{2}}^{+\infty}(0)e^{ikx}dk\right][/tex]

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{k_0 -\frac{\Delta k}{2}}^{k_0 +\frac{\Delta k}{2}}e^{ikx}dk [/tex]

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\left[\frac{1}{ix}e^{ikx}\right]_{k_0 -\frac{\Delta k}{2}}^{k_0 +\frac{\Delta k}{2}}[/tex]

Am I making the mistake here? ^^^ Is the integral correct?

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\left[\frac{1}{ix}\left(e^{i(k_0 +\frac{\Delta k}{2})x}-e^{i(k_0 -\frac{\Delta k}{2})x}\right)\right][/tex]

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{1}{ix\sqrt{2\pi}}\left(e^{ik_0 x +i\frac{\Delta k x}{2}}-e^{ik_0 x -i\frac{\Delta k x}{2}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{1}{ix\sqrt{2\pi}}\left(e^{ik_0 x}e^{i\frac{\Delta k x}{2}}}-e^{ik_0 x}e^{-i\frac{\Delta k x}{2}}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{1}{ix\sqrt{2\pi}}\left[e^{ik_0 x}\left(e^{i\frac{\Delta k x}{2}}}-e^{-i\frac{\Delta k x}{2}}}\right)\right][/tex]

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{1}{ix\sqrt{2\pi}}\left[e^{ik_0 x}\left(\sin{\frac{\Delta k x}{2}}\right)\right][/tex]

Where do I go from here? This is obviously not correct, but I just don't know what is going on... I would love some guidance!

I haven't attempted part b) yet, but I'm assuming the solution will come from

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\mid\Psi(x)\mid^2dx[/tex]

and should equal 1 ??

Any help would be great, thanks,

Ty

Attachments

• wave-vector distribution.bmp
    15.3 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SInce most of the problms you see in this forum are based on elementary physics, i suggest try posting in the quantum forum you may be more successful with getting a response.

To stunner5000p: No, if the is homework, then it should be here, not in "Quantum Physics". (In fact, if he posted it there, it would probably get moved here.)

To Tyco05: [itex]sin(a)= \frac{e^{ix}- e^{-ix}}{2i}[/itex]. You should not have that "i" in the denominator of your final answer. Other than that, you answer is exactly the same as
[tex]\Psi(x)=\sqrt{\frac{\Delta k}{2\pi}} \frac{\sin{\frac{\Delta kx}{2}}}{\frac{\Delta kx}{2}} e^{ik_0 x}[/tex]
except for that
[tex]\sqrt{\Delta k}[/tex]
You have only [itex]\Delta k[/itex] without the square root. Check the answer again.

Thanks HallofIvy,

I just made that sin(x) identity incorrectly... oh well, some things get past us... but the [itex] \sqrt{\Delta k} [/itex] is definitely in the question I was given. Maybe it is a typo, or perhaps a genuine mistake? When I worked it through I also got what you said, just [itex]\Delta k[/itex] .
I'll leave it as is unless you have any other suggestions, and just see what happens!

Cheers

Hey again,

Just checked another source (Serway, Moses and Moyer. Modern Physics.) and it is definitely a typo or mistake.

Instead of what was written on the assignment:

It should have been :

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{\Delta k}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \frac{\sin{\frac{\Delta kx}{2}}}{\frac{\Delta kx}{2}} e^{ik_0 x}[/tex]

Thanks again.

OK, this question is getting on my nerves now.
I tried part b), only to have to integrate by parts over and over and over and over again. It won't stop. What's going on??...

[tex]P(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\mid\Psi(x)\mid^2dx[/tex]

Where

[tex]\Psi(x)=\frac{\Delta k}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \frac{\sin{\frac{\Delta kx}{2}}}{\frac{\Delta kx}{2}} e^{ik_0 x}[/tex]

Now, I found that :

[tex]\mid\Psi(x)\mid^2 = \frac{2}{\pi x^2} \sin^2{\frac{\Delta k x}{2}}[/tex]

so,

[tex]P(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{2}{\pi x^2} \sin^2{\frac{\Delta k x}{2}}dx[/tex]

[tex]P(x)=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{x^2}\sin^2{\frac{\Delta k x}{2}}dx[/tex]

[tex]P(x)=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{x^2}(1-\cos{\Delta k x})dx[/tex]

[tex]P(x)=\frac{1}{\pi}\left[\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{x^2}dx-\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{x^2}\cos{\Delta k x}dx\right][/tex]

Is there something I should realize about these integrals?... The one on the right is the one that just goes on and on and on...

The one on the left seems easy enough, but what about the limits... ? Can it be evaluated ? I'm confused...

1. What is a matter wave?

A matter wave, also known as a de Broglie wave, is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like properties of matter. It is a fundamental principle that states that all particles, including atoms and subatomic particles, have both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

2. How are matter waves different from regular waves?

Matter waves are different from regular waves in that they are associated with particles and are described by the Schrödinger equation. They also exhibit wave-particle duality, meaning they can behave as both a wave and a particle at the same time.

3. Can matter waves be observed?

No, matter waves cannot be directly observed. They are a mathematical concept that helps explain the behavior of particles on a quantum level. However, their effects can be observed through experiments such as the double-slit experiment.

4. What is the relationship between matter waves and the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, proposed by Heisenberg, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Matter waves are related to this principle because they describe the probability of finding a particle in a certain location, rather than its exact position.

5. How do matter waves impact our understanding of the physical world?

Matter waves play a crucial role in our understanding of the physical world, particularly at the quantum level. They help explain the behavior of particles and have allowed for the development of technologies such as MRI machines and transistors. They also provide insight into the nature of reality and the fundamental principles of the universe.