Solving Blood Pressure Difference with Constricted Artery

In summary, the question is asking for the difference in blood pressures between a normal artery with a speed of 0.13 meters/second and an artery with a narrowing down to one-seventh of the normal cross-sectional area. The answer is in Pascals and the blood density is given as 1060 kg/meters^3. The attempted solutions involve using different equations, such as Pressure 2 - Pressure 1=1/2(Density)(Velocity^2 segment 1 -Velocity^2 segment 2) and Pressure 2 - Pressure 1 = 1/2(Density)(Velocity^2 segment 1 [(Area 1/Area 2)(Velocity 1)]^2, but the correct solution remains
LostInScience

Homework Statement

Normal blood speed is 0.13 meters/second. If an artery has a narrowing down to one-seventh of the normal cross-sectional area, what is the difference in blood pressures between the normal and constricted segments? Answer is Pascals. Blood density is 1060 kg/meters^3.

I tried this problem using a number of different equations and am just stumped. My answers range from -429.9 to 422.7!

I have tried Pressure 2 - Pressure 1=1/2(Density)(Velocity^2 segment 1 -Velocity^2 segment 2)

I also tried Pressure 2 - Pressure 1 =
1/2(Density)(Velocity^2 segment 1 [(Area 1/Area 2)(Velocity 1)]^2

Am I totally wrong with all of my equations?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations Pressure 2 - Pressure 1=1/2(Density)(Velocity^2 segment 1 -Velocity^2 segment 2)Pressure 2 - Pressure 1 = 1/2(Density)(Velocity^2 segment 1 [(Area 1/Area 2)(Velocity 1)]^2The Attempt at a Solution I tried this problem using a number of different equations and am just stumped. My answers range from -429.9 to 422.7!

I would approach this problem by first understanding the underlying principles of fluid dynamics. Blood pressure is determined by the force exerted by the blood on the walls of the artery, which is influenced by the velocity and cross-sectional area of the blood flow.

In this case, the narrowing of the artery results in a decrease in cross-sectional area, which leads to an increase in blood velocity. This increase in velocity will result in a decrease in blood pressure according to the Bernoulli's equation (P1 + 1/2ρv1^2 = P2 + 1/2ρv2^2).

To solve for the difference in blood pressure, we can rearrange the equation to P2 - P1 = 1/2ρ(v2^2 - v1^2). Plugging in the given values, we get P2 - P1 = 1/2(1060 kg/m^3)((0.13 m/s)^2 - (0.13 m/s)^2/7^2) = -429.9 Pa.

It is important to note that the answer is negative, indicating a decrease in pressure due to the narrowing of the artery. This is a common result in cases of constricted arteries, where the blood has to flow through a smaller space and therefore experiences a decrease in pressure.

It is also important to consider the assumptions and limitations of the calculations, such as assuming a constant blood velocity and neglecting factors such as viscosity and turbulence. Further research and experiments may be needed to accurately model and predict the effects of constricted arteries on blood pressure.

What is blood pressure?

Blood pressure is the force of blood against the walls of your arteries as your heart pumps blood throughout your body. It is measured with two numbers - systolic pressure (top number) and diastolic pressure (bottom number).

What causes constricted arteries?

Constricted arteries are caused by the buildup of plaque on the walls of the arteries, which narrows the passageway for blood flow. This can be due to factors such as high cholesterol, smoking, and high blood pressure.

How does constricted artery affect blood pressure?

When an artery is constricted, it reduces the amount of blood that can flow through it, increasing the pressure on the artery walls. This, in turn, can lead to higher blood pressure readings.

How can constricted arteries be treated?

There are several ways to treat constricted arteries, including lifestyle changes such as a healthy diet and regular exercise, as well as medication to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the plaque buildup.

What are the potential consequences of leaving constricted arteries untreated?

If left untreated, constricted arteries can lead to serious health problems such as heart disease, stroke, and kidney damage. It is important to manage and treat constricted arteries to prevent these potential consequences.