Can non-compact 4-dimensional spacetimes have a global tetrad?

• Thread starter befj0001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
You can't have a continuous basis for the whole sphere. That's a theorem (the Hairy Ball Theorem).In summary, a non-coordinate basis is a basis in which one cannot find a coordinate system for which it is the coordinate basis. This is a necessary condition for a basis to be a coordinate basis, and it can be checked by taking the commutator between any pair of basis vectors and seeing if it is zero. However, the converse is not always true, and the existence of a coordinate system does not guarantee the existence of a coordinate basis. This is shown by the example of a sphere, where no coordinate basis can exist for the entire surface.
befj0001
Suppose you have a differentiable manifold where at each point you have attached a set of basis vectors X_1,X_2,...,X_n. One thing that I don't have clear is the difference between a coordinate basis and a non-coordiante basis. I've been told that there is a way to check if the set of basis vectors is coordinate independent. One do this by simply taking the commutator between any pair of basis vectors and if the commutator is zero then my basis is not coordinate dependent. But why is that?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given a manifold ##\mathcal{M}## of dimension n, one can always construct on any open patch ##U## a set of coordinate mappings ##\phi:U\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^n##. The set of coordinates ##\{x_i\}## can then be used to construct a set of coordinate basis vectors ##\{\partial_{x_i}\}##.

A coordinate basis (or sometimes called a holonomic basis) is one in which one can find a set of coordinates ##\{y_i\}## such that in this coordinate system my basis is the set ##\{\partial_{y_i}\}##. A non coordinate basis is a basis in which one cannot find such a coordinate system.

Because of the equality of mixed partial derivatives, it is easy to see, then, since: ##[\partial_{x_i},\partial_{y_j}]=\partial_{x_i}\partial_{y_j}-\partial_{y_j}\partial_{x_i}=0## that a 0 Lie bracket (what you term commutator) is a necessary condition that my basis is a holonomic one. That this condition is also sufficient needs to be proved. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the proof off the top of my head, but the proof should be found in any standard text on differential geometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matterwave said:
Given a manifold ##\mathcal{M}## of dimension n, one can always construct on any open patch ##U## a set of coordinate mappings ##\phi:U\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^n##. The set of coordinates ##\{x_i\}## can then be used to construct a set of coordinate basis vectors ##\{\partial_{x_i}\}##.

A coordinate basis (or sometimes called a holonomic basis) is one in which one can find a set of coordinates ##\{y_i\}## such that in this coordinate system my basis is the set ##\{\partial_{y_i}\}##. A non coordinate basis is a basis in which one cannot find such a coordinate system.

Because of the equality of mixed partial derivatives, it is easy to see, then, since: ##[\partial_{x_i},\partial_{y_j}]=\partial_{x_i}\partial_{y_j}-\partial_{y_j}\partial_{x_i}=0## that a 0 Lie bracket (what you term commutator) is a necessary condition that my basis is a holonomic one. That this condition is also sufficient needs to be proved. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the proof off the top of my head, but the proof should be found in any standard text on differential geometry.

So, given a manifold we can always define a coordinate system such that the Lie bracket is zero in that system. But I'm confused about this sentence:

"A non coordinate basis is a basis in which one cannot find such a coordinate system."

How can one not find such a coordinate system if "one can always find such a coordinate system" whenever the underlying topology is a manifold? It seems to contradict the definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
befj0001 said:
So, given a manifold we can always define a coordinate system such that the Lie bracket is zero in that system. But I'm confused about this sentence:

"A non coordinate basis is a basis in which one cannot find such a coordinate system."

How can one not find such a coordinate system if "one can always find such a coordinate system" whenever the underlying topology is a manifold? It seems to contradict the definition.

Sorry if my post was unclear. One can always find a coordinate system on a patch of a manifold. From this coordinate system, one can find a set of coordinate bases.

But it doesn't mean that given any basis, I can find a coordinate system for which that basis is a coordinate basis. Usual examples of non coordinate bases are orthonormal bases.

Perhaps it was confusing for me to introduce the notion that a coordinate patch can always be found.

Given a coordinate system I can construct a set of coordinate bases. Given a basis I may or may not be able to construct a coordinate system for which that basis is the coordinate basis. Is that clear?

Here's an example of the distinction:

In polar coordinates, we have the coordinate basis [itex]e_r, e_\theta[/itex] that has the nice property:

If [itex]\mathcal{P}[/itex] is a point with coordinates [itex](r,\theta)[/itex], then [itex]\mathcal{P}+\alpha e_r[/itex] is a point with coordinates [itex](r + \alpha, \theta)[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{P}+ \beta e_\theta[/itex] is a point with coordinates [itex](r, \theta + \beta)[/itex]. That's the property that [itex]e_r, e_\theta[/itex] are coordinate bases for [itex]r, \theta[/itex].

A related basis that is often used with polar coordinates is [itex]\hat{r}, \hat{\theta}[/itex]. This is nice for a different reason: [itex]|\hat{r}| = |\hat{\theta}| = 1[/itex]. This is not a coordinate basis.

These two bases are related (I think) by:

[itex]\hat{r} = e_r[/itex]
[itex]\hat{\theta} = e_\theta/r[/itex]

Ok, I think I understand!

So what happens if we consider for example a sphere in R^3 ? There is no coordinate system that covers the whole sphere, but two coordinate systems are enough and we can associate a basis to each one of these coordinate systems. But I suppose I can find just one basis for the entire sphere, for instance, the "spherical directions" would do.

Am I correct?

befj0001 said:
So what happens if we consider for example a sphere in R^3 ? There is no coordinate system that covers the whole sphere, but two coordinate systems are enough and we can associate a basis to each one of these coordinate systems. But I suppose I can find just one basis for the entire sphere, for instance, the "spherical directions" would do.

Am I correct?

No. You can't comb a hairy ball.

befj0001 said:
Am I correct?

As George mentioned, you cannot find such a basis. Manifolds which admit global frames are called parallelizable. A 2-sphere is not parallelizable as a consequence of the hairy ball theorem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairy_ball_theorem

Another interesting result:

Let M be a non-compact 4-dimensional spacetime (Lorentzian manifold). There is a set of four continuous orthonormal vector fields (there exists a global tetrad; M is parallelizable) defined on all of M if and only if M admits a spinor structure.

All compact Lorentzian manifolds have closed timelike curves, so non-compactness seems physically reasonable.

1. What is a coordinate-independent basis?

A coordinate-independent basis is a set of vectors that can be used to describe any point or direction in a mathematical space, without reference to a specific coordinate system.

2. Why is a coordinate-independent basis important in science?

Coordinate-independent bases are crucial in science because they provide a way to describe physical quantities and relationships without being dependent on a specific coordinate system. This allows for more general and universal laws and principles to be discovered.

3. How is a coordinate-independent basis different from a coordinate system?

A coordinate-independent basis is a set of vectors that describe a space, while a coordinate system is a way of assigning numerical values to points in that space. In other words, a coordinate system relies on a coordinate-independent basis to describe points, but a coordinate-independent basis does not rely on a specific coordinate system.

4. Can a coordinate-independent basis be used in any dimension?

Yes, a coordinate-independent basis can be used in any dimension. This is because it is not dependent on a specific coordinate system, so it can be used to describe points and directions in any mathematical space.

5. How do you determine a coordinate-independent basis?

A coordinate-independent basis can be determined by finding a set of linearly independent vectors that span the space. These vectors should be able to describe any point or direction in the space without needing a specific coordinate system.