Ghost in My Machine? Help Needed!

• Thread starter 2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary: It's definitely not a virus. You should start by uninstalling any programs that you don't use often, and scanning your computer for any viruses.
I could really use some help on this one, it's really driving me mad.
A few days ago my computer started to shut down and restart anytime I would try to leave the room, I even crawled out of my chair, crawled across the floor through the door, but to no avail, it realized I was leaving it, and promptly shut down.
This is not a joke, although I'm thinking it might be one on me some how.
Please, send your suggestions or thoughts, presently any reply would not be considered idiotic.:cry: please help, I don't want to lose anymore hair.

Computer science news on Phys.org
2112 said:
I could really use some help on this one, it's really driving me mad.
A few days ago my computer started to shut down and restart anytime I would try to leave the room, I even crawled out of my chair, crawled across the floor through the door, but to no avail, it realized I was leaving it, and promptly shut down.
This is not a joke, although I'm thinking it might be one on me some how.
Please, send your suggestions or thoughts, presently any reply would not be considered idiotic.:cry: please help, I don't want to lose anymore hair.
Sounds like you have that trojan that shuts down the computer. Do you have virus software like Norton? My daughter had this on her computer and running Norton detected it and cleaned it.

I'm running AVG, but I have also used the online virus scanners Bittorrent and Panda, it didn't find anything.
Personally I can't see a virus being the culpret, because how does it know when I leave the room, I don't use a web camera.

I meant bitdefender

2112 said:
I'm running AVG, but I have also used the online virus scanners Bittorrent and Panda, it didn't find anything.
Personally I can't see a virus being the culpret, because how does it know when I leave the room, I don't use a web camera.
It probably just seems that way, it can't see you.

Get Norton. You'll need something that extensive to rid yourself of it.

I would check connectors.
Are power cords loose?
Verify everything is fully inserted.

the blaster worm did this, so i recommend you download a blaster check tool
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-081113-0229-99
i don't remember if it allways gave a warning first but its worh a try, if there is no virus found, you should check your logs, start with control panel - Admin tools - Event log and check for anything unusual, check your registery, download 'hijackthis' ( www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html ) and check if there is any suspicious services, and i advice to surf around on forums to read about other peoples problems if you don't recognise a service.
and finaly if this still doesn't help you with your problem, you should download and install windows developer tools, and study your dump files
( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263 ) (i hope its not in swedish as mine)
this is about everything i can help you with now, for further help you need to give me more information on your setup, when did this problem begin? did you install anything? oh and.. it would be good to know atleast what OS you use, as i asumed you use windows2000/windowsXP

Last edited by a moderator:
They're here...

Attachments

• poltergeist.jpg
    poltergeist.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 459
You pc will automatically shut when your processor overheats...

Although I will get the patch and I will install Hyjack this once I run a few of my spyware programs first.
I think that it might have more with static buildup in the room, or something to that effect.
There are no lose wires, and there are sometimes that it doesn't do it.
I use Win XP Pro, I'm on a wireless connection D-Link, I've got Kerio firewall, I run Winpatrol, AVG, WheresJames startup manager, Xoftspy, Adaware, and Spybot.
I also considered that maybe I was overheating also so I took off both sides of the CPU.
I'll let you know if I figure it out.
don

2112 said:
Although I will get the patch and I will install Hyjack this once I run a few of my spyware programs first.
I think that it might have more with static buildup in the room, or something to that effect.
There are no lose wires, and there are sometimes that it doesn't do it.
I use Win XP Pro, I'm on a wireless connection D-Link, I've got Kerio firewall, I run Winpatrol, AVG, WheresJames startup manager, Xoftspy, Adaware, and Spybot.
I also considered that maybe I was overheating also so I took off both sides of the CPU.
I'll let you know if I figure it out.
don

I really hope your not running all those programs at once, multiple AV programs running will mess up your system.
hmmm, took of both sides of the CPU? is it just me or does that make no sense at all? if your CPU overheats you should get a POST message about it when booting or something like that.
now considering if it wouldn't be a virus, i would start by checking out some harware.
if you have multiple RAM modules, try removing one and see if that helps, somethimes the RAM go bad and can make your computer Freeze, Boot etc.
Make sure your PSU(power supply unit) has enough effect in it and/or is it broken?
but does this boot happen randomly? or when you start your computer up? how about safe mode? does it reboot then?
have you tried Checkdisk?

I don't run any of the spyware or AV programs at the same time, although the online AV programs ad a file to your PC that allows it to not effect the onboard AV.
I took the sides off because it allows more air into the machine.
Since I have taken off the side panels it seems so far so good, no longer shutting down when I leave the room.
Ran chkdsk, and since it now seems to be ok again if it starts doing it again I'll start it in safemode.

Ok let me ask a few questions.

1.) Has it ever NOT shutdown when you have left and came back? Or is it just most of the time. (maybe it is a ghost :p)

2.) Has it ever shutdown while you have been sitting there doing nothing, but just watching it?

now that I am done with the haunting questions if it is some ghost, let's get more technical

3.) Have you noticed any other weird occurrences with the computer besides this that may be related?

4.) What sort of programs do you run on the computer? Namely, do you run any number-crunching programs? Like BOINC-Seti? or a variant of that type of program that uses your spare processor to calculate data.

5.) How old is the computer? Do you have indoor animals that shed a lot of hair? This could be an overheating issue. If it is a Compaq computer (God help you) the processor fan stops and turns depending on your computer usage and temperature of the processor. If you leave the computer idle, the wonderful programming of the Compaq designers may cause the fan to stop while it is idle and overheat. Whether it is a Compaq or not, open the case and check for dust or hair accumulation.

6.) What type of "shut down" does it completely crash? or does it go through the shutdown process? Or does it restart?

Answer these for me and I will try to help you out!

Thanks,
Scale

Hi
Did you get answer
I have seen your problem ghost in machine..
It is already past period of years..you posted,so, you must have got the solution or known what the problem was..?(Feb5-2007)
I am very anxious to know the answer for it please post answer,how you solved it.
Are you using physics forums now..how are you ..
Thanxx

1. What is "Ghost in My Machine? Help Needed!" about?

"Ghost in My Machine? Help Needed!" is a popular blog that features a variety of paranormal and supernatural stories. The blog is run by a team of writers who share their personal experiences and research on ghosts, spirits, and other unexplainable phenomena.

2. Is "Ghost in My Machine? Help Needed!" based on true stories?

Yes, many of the stories featured on "Ghost in My Machine? Help Needed!" are based on real experiences and encounters shared by the writers and readers. However, some stories may also be fictional or based on urban legends.

3. How often are new posts published on "Ghost in My Machine? Help Needed!"?

The blog is updated regularly, with new posts published at least once a week. Sometimes, there may be multiple posts in a week depending on the availability of new stories and content.

4. Can I submit my own story to be featured on "Ghost in My Machine? Help Needed!"?

Yes, "Ghost in My Machine? Help Needed!" accepts submissions from readers who want to share their own personal experiences with the paranormal. You can submit your story through the blog's contact page, but please note that not all submissions may be published.

5. Are there any scientific explanations for the stories on "Ghost in My Machine? Help Needed!"?

The blog presents a range of personal experiences and unexplained phenomena, so it is up to the readers to interpret and draw their own conclusions. While some stories may have logical explanations, others may remain a mystery and cannot be scientifically explained.