Why Did Batman, Robin, and Catwoman Have Different Outcomes on Their Journey?

• Thread starter Edgardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batman
In summary, Catwoman walked 10 miles south, east, north and west, but arrived at her starting point. Batman walked 10 miles south, east, north and west but didn't arrive at his starting point. Robin walked 10 miles south, east, north and west but arrived a little east to his starting point.
Edgardo
Batman walks 10 miles south, 10 miles east, 10 miles north and 10 miles west.
He doesn't arrive at his starting point, but a little west to his starting point.

Robin also walks 10 miles south, east, north and west. But he arrives a little east
to his starting point.

Catwoman walks 10 miles south, east, north and west. However, she arrives at her starting
point.

Can you explain these three different results?

Physics news on Phys.org
Edgardo said:
Can you explain these three different results?

Yes:
Catwoman could be 5 miles north of the equator,
Batman could be 6 miles, and Robin could be 4 miles north of equator, for instance.

--------

Hello Rogerio,

your answer is right. I like your examples because they differ from mine.
Was the example you gave your first thought?

Edgardo said:
Hello Rogerio,

your answer is right. I like your examples because they differ from mine.
Was the example you gave your first thought?

Hi Edgardo, my first attempt was to place them near the poles, which is possible (for both poles), but I would need to take into account the Earth's radius...then, I decided for this arrangement.
(of course, Batman could be almost any place in the northern hemisphere, and Robin could be almost anywhere in the southern hemisphere
).

Where did you place them?

Hello Rogerio,

my first thought was to

also put Batman on the northern hemisphere and Robin on the southern hemisphere, somewhere between the pole and the equator. I find it interesting that you came up with crossing the equator for all our three superheroes.

if you are on the south pole how do you walk 10 miles south to start your expedition?

There are 'close to the pole' solutions for all three heroes and both poles.

shamrock5585 said:
if you are on the south pole how do you walk 10 miles south to start your expedition?

Clearly you'd have to start out more than 10 miles away from the south pole.

my answer

batman was in the northern hemisphere

robin was in the southern hemispehere

and catman was 5 miles north of the equator?

Assuming the Earth is flat:

Batman and Robin walk 10 miles south together.
Batman picks up Robin and carries him "a little" east, then puts him down. They both finish their 10 mile walk east (Robin finishes "a little" more east than Batman).
They both walk 10 miles north.
Robin starts walking west while Batman waits for Robin to reach him.
Robin picks up Batman and carries him "a little" west, then puts him down. They both finish their 10 mile walk west.
Catwoman thinks she's too good to fraternize with the others and does the entire walk on her own.

Hi Phlegmy,
your answer is correct, except for one thing: It's catwoman, not catman :)

Daskalou,
Robin is supposed to arrive east to his starting point.

While batman was walking, he got too tired to continue the journey, his laymen 'substituted' him for the target, and the guys got a wrong direction.

While Robin eagerly enjoy the path to the destination, he met a lion lying in the middle of the road, he rushed to the forest dropping the compass unnoticed. He got stuck in the middle of thousands of the trees. He went out of the forest finally but he reached a different place

The catwoman loved crawling on the house roofs, she met another tom cat, she fell in love with him. After they both did "that" together, she discovered tomcat was not a real tomcat because there are several tomcats in the house. So much disappointed that she forgot all the way to the destination,

All three didn't meet anymore. Period!

What are the origins of Batman, Robin and Catwoman?

Batman, also known as Bruce Wayne, witnessed the murder of his parents as a child and vowed to fight crime and injustice as an adult. Robin, also known as Dick Grayson, was a circus performer whose parents were killed by a criminal, and was taken in by Batman as his sidekick. Catwoman, also known as Selina Kyle, started off as a thief but eventually became an anti-heroine who sometimes helps Batman.

What are the main characteristics of Batman, Robin and Catwoman?

Batman is known for his keen intelligence, advanced technology, and fighting skills. Robin is skilled in acrobatics and martial arts, and is a loyal and compassionate sidekick. Catwoman is a master thief and skilled in hand-to-hand combat, with a complicated moral code.

What are the relationships between Batman, Robin and Catwoman?

Batman and Robin have a mentor-mentee relationship, with Batman acting as a father figure to Robin. Catwoman and Batman have a complicated romantic relationship, with Catwoman often switching between being a foe and an ally to Batman. Robin and Catwoman have a playful rivalry, with Robin often trying to bring Catwoman to justice.

What are some notable storylines involving Batman, Robin and Catwoman?

Some notable storylines involving Batman, Robin and Catwoman include the introduction of Robin in "Detective Comics #38" (1940), the romance between Batman and Catwoman in "Batman #1" (1940), and the popular "Hush" storyline (2002) which features Catwoman as a major character.

What are some adaptations of Batman, Robin and Catwoman in other media?

Batman, Robin and Catwoman have been adapted in various films, television shows, and video games. Some notable adaptations include the "Batman" film franchise, the "Batman: The Animated Series" television show, and the "Batman: Arkham" video game series.