Particle in a conservative force field + SHM

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of simple harmonic motion in a conservative force field. The participant is attempting to prove this concept but is unsure if they have the necessary tools. They mention various equations and ask if there is an easier way to prove this for the general case. Another participant brings up a counterexample and mentions that a linear force for small x can produce an harmonic motion. They also provide a source that mentions this concept in physics. Overall, the conversation highlights the relationship between conservative force fields and simple harmonic motion for small amplitudes.
m00npirate

Homework Statement

I read online in several places that any particle in motion in a conservative force field undergoes simple harmonic motion for small amplitudes.
I am attempting to prove this is true out of my own curiosity, but I don't know if I have the tools necessary to prove it. My math background is Calculus through half of multivariate, basic real analysis, and very simple differential equations (separation of variables).
Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

I know that for a field to be conservative, [itex]F=\nabla f[/itex] for some f.
Also, a particle in simple harmonic motion must be expressible in the form:
[tex] E = \frac{\alpha}{2} q^{2} + \frac{\beta}{2} \dot{q}^{2} [/tex]
where [itex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{\alpha}{\beta}}[/itex]

or
[tex]\ddot{x} + \omega^{2}x = 0 [/tex]I have no idea how to proceed other than to solve some partial differential equations with unknown functions. Is there any easier way to prove this for the general case?

Physics news on Phys.org
This might not be the answer you may have hoped for. I wonder what sites told you that all conservative fields can produce an harmonic motion.
m00npirate said:
I read online in several places that any particle in motion in a conservative force field undergoes simple harmonic motion for small amplitudes.

As a counter example:
We have the potential function [tex]f=1x[/tex]
then the vector field will become [tex]F=\nabla f=1[/tex]

Good luck getting an harmonic oscillator out of such a vector field ;)

Perhaps they meant an attractive force? I'll try to find where I saw that again.

Edit: here's one
"The problem of the simple harmonic oscillator occurs frequently in physics because a mass at equilibrium under the influence of any conservative force, in the limit of small motions, will behave as a simple harmonic oscillator."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator#Applications
I saw it in a textbook too on google books. I'll try to find it again.

All that it requires is for the force to be linear in x for sufficiently small x. Can anyone think of a conservative (attractive) force for which this would be untrue? I would try on my own but we haven't really covered exactly how to construct these in calc yet ><

Question:

What is a conservative force field?

Answer:

A conservative force field is a type of force field where the work done by the force only depends on the start and end points of the particle's motion, and not the path taken. This means that the total mechanical energy of the particle is conserved, and it can be represented by a potential energy function.

Question:

What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)?

Answer:

SHM is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position. This results in a sinusoidal motion with a constant period and amplitude.

Question:

How does a particle behave in a conservative force field + SHM?

Answer:

In a conservative force field + SHM, the particle will experience both the forces simultaneously. The SHM force will result in a sinusoidal motion, while the conservative force field will cause the particle to oscillate around the minimum of the potential energy function.

Question:

What is the equation of motion for a particle in a conservative force field + SHM?

Answer:

The equation of motion for a particle in a conservative force field + SHM can be represented by the differential equation: mx'' + kx = -dU/dx, where m is the mass of the particle, x is the displacement, k is the spring constant, and U is the potential energy function.

Question:

What are some real-life applications of particles in conservative force fields + SHM?

Answer:

One common real-life application is the motion of a simple pendulum, where the gravitational force acts as the conservative force field and the tension in the string acts as the SHM force. Other examples include the motion of a mass attached to a spring, the vibration of molecules in a solid, and the oscillation of electrons in an atom.