Grow taller: Stretching exercises

• Thread starter ericksvensson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercises
In summary, this product claims to be able to increase height by stretching and strengthening the spine and cartilage. There is no scientific evidence to support this claim, and it is likely not effective.
ericksvensson
http://www.betaller.com/whyitworks.htm

Greetings, PF community. Certain product has come to my attetion, as it claims to be an exercise and health guide to grow up to 3 inches in an average period of 5 months (depending on the effort you put on it).

The whole thing has to do with stretching exercises that help you on lenghtening and straightening the cartilages on your spine, therefore claiming that anybody has the potential to be taller than their actual height.

Cartilage is a tough, elastic, fibrous connective tissue found in various parts of the body, such as the joints. It can be THICKENED and STRENGTHENED only by applying specific life changing exercises (Stretching exercises) and taking appropriate supplements.

Since the human spine consists of MANY discs that are made from cartilage, research has proven that it can be LENGTHENED and STRAIGHTENED up to THREE INCHES (and sometimes MORE)!

Therefore most individuals have the POTENTIAL to increase their height at ANY AGE!

As I do not have much knowledge about biology, it'd be really appreciated if you could tell me about the efficience of this product, not neccesarily on the diet program, recommended sleeping habits and psychological stuff included, but the exercises themselves.

Here is the website
http://www.betaller.com/whyitworks.htm (I can assure you there are at least 30 other companies selling the same stuff, just picked one of them randomly)

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know for sure how valid that claim is, but I know that there is a medically sound bone lengthening method, called distraction osteogenesis, that allows you to lengthen your legs 3-6 inches at the expense of a couple of surgeries, 6-12 months in a wheelchair or on crutches, and a fair bit of pain. I'd imagine that, if it were possible to add 3 inches to your spine without all that, it would be mandatory before (or instead) distraction osteogenesis.

Hey guys, just wanted to give my two cents and personal experience on this matter.

Look, I'm not a scientist, a physicist, a biologist, or anybody who knows anything above high school/college level science.

BUT, I have tried these "stretching exercises" to grow taller, and no idea what the science behind them is, or if it was something else I did (nutrition, other exercise, posture, etc.), but I gained a couple inches, believe it or not.

On my website/blog thing, I tried to offer a basic explanation (the one I was told). That may be the answer? Not sure. Just trying to offer a possible idea.

steveharlin said:
Hey guys, just wanted to give my two cents and personal experience on this matter.

Look, I'm not a scientist, a physicist, a biologist, or anybody who knows anything above high school/college level science.

BUT, I have tried these "stretching exercises" to grow taller, and no idea what the science behind them is, or if it was something else I did (nutrition, other exercise, posture, etc.), but I gained a couple inches, believe it or not.

On my stretching taller website/blog thing, I tried to offer a basic explanation (the one I was told). That may be the answer? Not sure. Just trying to offer a possible idea.

Did you measure yourself at the same time every day? The height of a person changes during the day, with a person being tallest in the morning and shortest in the evening. It's also possible judging by your blog that you hadn't actually finished puberty, so it is entirely possible that you had a late(ish) growth spurt.

Along with HGH and some other growth-supporting chemicals...

Similarly, some professional bodybuilders (including a famous movie star-turned-politician), claim that the rib cage can be expanded slightly with specific stretching exercises over a long period of time. (in line with the general goal of bodybuilding to appear more massive) This would also be due to the properties of cartilage. This seems somewhat credible, as contrary to height, gravity won't counteract as much over the rest of the day. But I'm not aware of any true scientific evidence.

Personally, I don't know much about this, but it's something we've been talking about in anatomy class, and I just did some quick research.

I found this website:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/744624.html

It specifically addressed the website mentioned in the first post, as well as similar ones. It's about 3/4 of the way down the site linked to above.

While there are numerous exercises that target the spine, our
researchers have developed the best possible combination of yoga style
exercises that tone, strengthen, and develop the muscles that support
the spine leading to height increase.

Once these muscles have developed appropriately, the spine will begin
to lengthen as well as straighten another inch or two through spinal
decompression.

Then, with time and proper implementation of the exercises the spinal
discs as well as the cartilage that supports your arms, legs, and
spine will begin to thicken leading to a proportionate and taller
body.

Hmmm.

kk727 said:
Personally, I don't know much about this, but it's something we've been talking about in anatomy class, and I just did some quick research.

I found this website:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/744624.html

It specifically addressed the website mentioned in the first post, as well as similar ones. It's about 3/4 of the way down the site linked to above.

Hmmm.
Those are not acceptable sites.

1. What are stretching exercises and how do they help with growing taller?

Stretching exercises are a form of physical activity that involve lengthening and elongating the muscles in the body. They can help with growing taller by improving posture, releasing tension in the muscles, and promoting bone growth.

2. What are some specific stretching exercises that can help with growing taller?

Some specific stretching exercises that can help with growing taller include hanging exercises, cobra stretch, cat and cow stretch, and the downward dog pose. These exercises focus on stretching the spine and promoting proper alignment.

3. How often should stretching exercises be done to see results in height?

The frequency of stretching exercises for growing taller will vary depending on age and individual factors. However, it is generally recommended to do stretching exercises 3-4 times a week for at least 30 minutes each session to see results.

4. Can stretching exercises really increase height or is it just a myth?

While there is no scientific evidence to suggest that stretching exercises can significantly increase height, they can help improve posture and promote proper spine alignment, which can make a person appear taller. Additionally, stretching can improve muscle strength and flexibility, leading to a taller and more confident posture.

5. Are there any risks or side effects of doing stretching exercises for growing taller?

Stretching exercises for growing taller are generally safe, but it is important to consult with a doctor or physical therapist before starting any new exercise routine. Overstretching or incorrect form can lead to muscle strains or other injuries. It is also important to listen to your body and avoid pushing yourself too hard.

Back