Applied Math -> Computer Science/Computational Engineer/EE

In summary: For "linear" dynamics, you might be interested in control theory which is about optimizing real-world systems subject to constraints. Do you have any other questions about what would be good for your field?I am not sure if you meant "nonlinear" instead of "linear" dynamics, but if you meant the former, you might be interested in fluid dynamics which is basically capture in the Navier-Stokes Equations. For "linear" dynamics, you might be interested in control theory which is about optimizing real-world systems subject to constraints. Do you have any other questions about what would be good for your field?Thanks for the input! I will definitely check out some of those courses. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
MathWarrior
I am nearly done with all my basic undergraduate course work and will soon be pursuing the rest of my applied math degree. There are a variety of upper division classes that I have the option of taking. I was wondering which ones seem best suited if you were going to get your masters in either computer science, computational engineering, or EE upon graduating.

Ive been looking into 3 specific topics carefully to see if they are of any use in any of these fields, Nonlinear Dynamics, PDE's, Mathematical Optimization, or graph theory. Which 2 of these topics do you think is best suited?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MathWarrior said:
I am nearly done with all my basic undergraduate course work and will soon be pursuing the rest of my applied math degree. There are a variety of upper division classes that I have the option of taking. I was wondering which ones seem best suited if you were going to get your masters in either computer science, computational engineering, or EE upon graduating.

Ive been looking into 3 specific topics carefully to see if they are of any use in any of these fields, Nonlinear Dynamics, PDE's, Mathematical Optimization, or graph theory. Which 2 of these topics do you think is best suited?

Thanks.

Hey MathWarrior and welcome to the forums.

My suggestion based on your choices of EE, computer science, or CompE I would say PDE's and Mathematical Optimization. For computer science, graph theory would probably be a compulsory subject or part of a Discrete Mathematics subject that is pretty much required in that degree.

Since you're doing applied math you are obviously going to be better prepared than say only doing pure math subjects.

One thing I should point out to you, is that with engineering you usually have very rigid models that have to be followed and they have to be used because things must work as intended. On saying this some applied math subjects don't start off with the kind of rigid assumptions that an engineering model will use, so just be aware of that.

Yeah those two classes are the ones I was thinking of taking, but I am not sure how useful PDE's are? Perhaps someone can enlighten me on where id encounter those in the fields I specified.

There are a few other courses like mathematical modeling for biology, but that seems like it wouldn't be of much use. There is one 2 other classes I am also able to take as extra upper division: Abstract Algebra, or Number Theory. I just want to take whatever will be the best suited for my field.

MathWarrior said:
Yeah those two classes are the ones I was thinking of taking, but I am not sure how useful PDE's are? Perhaps someone can enlighten me on where id encounter those in the fields I specified.

There are a few other courses like mathematical modeling for biology, but that seems like it wouldn't be of much use. There is one 2 other classes I am also able to take as extra upper division: Abstract Algebra, or Number Theory. I just want to take whatever will be the best suited for my field.

Many problems in applied science deal with systems that involve more than one input variable. A good PDE course will touch both on analytic methods and numerical methods. From this I think you can see why it would be a valuable subject to choose.

I really can't see a huge amount of benefit for engineering with regard to Number Theory and Abstract Algebra, but for computer science number theory might be beneficial especially in the context of cryptography.

Personally if you want to do engineering any subject where you "get your hands dirty" has my vote. A lot of math courses work with "nice clean models" that have analytic solutions but most modeling problems aren't like that. So if you get courses that deal with "dirty" models that you have to use and analyze in any kind of context (biology, economics, physics, chemistry etc) then that will definitely help you.

Is there any use for chaos theory and linear dynamics in any of these fields?

MathWarrior said:
Is there any use for chaos theory and linear dynamics in any of these fields?

I am not sure if you meant "nonlinear" instead of "linear" dynamics, but if you meant the former, you might be interested in fluid dynamics which is basically capture in the Navier-Stokes Equations.

1. What is the difference between applied math and computer science?

Applied math involves using mathematical principles and methods to solve real-world problems, while computer science focuses on the study of algorithms, data structures, and the design of computer systems. However, the two fields often overlap, and applied math is an important aspect of computer science, especially in areas such as machine learning and data analysis.

2. How is math used in computer science and computational engineering?

Math is used in computer science and computational engineering in various ways, such as developing algorithms and data structures, analyzing and optimizing algorithms, and designing efficient computer systems. In computational engineering, math is also used for modeling and simulating physical systems.

3. What skills are needed to pursue a career in computer science or computational engineering?

In addition to strong mathematical skills, a career in computer science or computational engineering requires proficiency in coding and programming languages, problem-solving abilities, and critical thinking skills. Strong communication skills and the ability to work in a team are also important for these fields.

4. What is the role of applied math in electrical engineering?

Applied math plays a crucial role in electrical engineering as it is used to design and analyze electronic circuits, control systems, and communication systems. It is also used in signal processing, image and video processing, and data compression. Without a strong foundation in math, it would be challenging to excel in the field of electrical engineering.

5. Is a background in applied math necessary for a career in computer science or computational engineering?

While a background in applied math can be beneficial, it is not necessary for a career in computer science or computational engineering. Many successful professionals in these fields come from diverse backgrounds, and with the right training and experience, anyone can excel in these fields. However, a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them is essential for success in these fields.