How to increase pH of lime water

In summary, this european guide line suggests that a solution with pH 13.2 containing Ca(OH)2 powder and distilled water is necessary. However, this solution is impossible to reach because of the calcium solubility. To get to pH 13.2, the solution must be prepared with 4g Ca(OH)2, 1g Na2SO4, 1g NaCl, and 1g NaNO3.
Caccioppoli
Hi to all,
I'm in this problem:
I've got to prepare a solution of Ca(OH)2 with pH=13.2 .
On Perry I read that the solubility value of Ca(OH)2 at T=25°C is 1.65 g/L, so a solution with water and Calcium Hydroxide cannot reach pH=13.2.
So I was suggested to prepare the mixture in the following manner:
distilled water + 4g Ca(Oh)2 + 1g Na2SO4 + 1g NaCl + 1g NaNO3 .

I'd like to know if this solution is correct and why.

Thank you very much,
Caccioppoli

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see how sodium sulfate, chloride and nitrate can help in changing pH (other than increasing ionic strength of the solution, but it won't change the result much).

Perhaps start with saturated Ca(OH)2 and add NaOH till pH goes up to 13.2? That will mean precipitating part of the calcium, but you can't cheat on Ksp.

Thank you very much for the answer.
An european guide line (etag) says that I have to prepare a solution with pH 13.2 having Ca(OH)2 powder and distillated water.
Since theoretically and experimentally I have verified that it is impossible to reach that pH, I asked for information.
They said that I have to add those substances in these quantities to obtain pH 13.2.
I have not yet prepared the mixture as they said, but for me is really strange, and I have thought about adding NaOH too.
By the way I think I should find an explanation for their suggestion.

If they say that's the standard procedure, you have not much choice but to try. I don't see how it can work, but can be I am missing something.

two issues at play that should not be conflated. first is the solubility of the species in water and second is the dissociation fraction.

with regards to the additions of sodium sulfate and nitrate ... it may have to do with the difference in dissociation fraction between sodium and calcium salts. the sodium salts, dissolved in water, may react with undissolved Ca(OH)2 to produce NaOH (which will dissociate to a large degree and increase pH) and soluble CaSO4/Ca(NO3)2.

uby said:
the sodium salts, dissolved in water, may react with undissolved Ca(OH)2 to produce NaOH

I don't see how. You can't cheat on Ca(OH)2 Ksp. Introducing Na+ doesn't change OH- concentration, so it can't shift Ca(OH)2 dissolution equilibrium.

That's all not entirely true, as both Na+ and Ca2+ get complexed by OH- to some extent, so it is not only about Ksp - but these complexation reactions don't increase OH- concentration, so pH is not going up.

It can if calcium sulfate precipitates or if sulfate complexes the calcium. Complexing agents like sucrose can change the solubility of CaOH2. Ammonia can change the solubility of silver chloride, etc...

chemisttree said:
It can if calcium sulfate precipitates or if sulfate complexes the calcium.

Right - but I have problems calling it the lime water after that.

1. How do I increase the pH of lime water?

To increase the pH of lime water, you can add a base such as baking soda or sodium hydroxide. These bases will react with the acidic compounds in lime water and increase its pH. Alternatively, you can also add calcium hydroxide, also known as hydrated lime, which will neutralize the acids and raise the pH.

2. How much base should I add to increase the pH of lime water?

The amount of base needed to increase the pH of lime water will depend on the initial pH and the desired pH level. It is recommended to add small amounts of base at a time, mix well, and test the pH until the desired level is reached. Adding too much base at once can result in an overly high pH, which can be difficult to correct.

3. Can I use vinegar to increase the pH of lime water?

No, using vinegar to increase the pH of lime water is not recommended. Vinegar is an acidic compound and will lower the pH of lime water even further. If you need to lower the pH of lime water, you can use an acid such as citric acid or hydrochloric acid.

4. Why is it important to increase the pH of lime water?

Lime water is commonly used in various industrial processes, such as water treatment and as a reagent in chemical reactions. In these processes, the pH of lime water plays a crucial role in its effectiveness. Increasing the pH of lime water can help optimize its performance and ensure the desired results.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when increasing the pH of lime water?

Yes, it is important to handle bases and acids with caution. Wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and follow the instructions on the product labels. Additionally, always add the base slowly and in small amounts to avoid any potential hazards. If you are unsure about handling chemicals, it is best to consult a professional for assistance.