Is Everyday Technology Killing Us?

• Medical
  • Thread starter stpmic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary: Are there studies or effects pertaining to certain populations (reference groups) of people... for example would the effect be different for someone with a pacemaker, or epilepsy, small children vs adults?There are studies that show that people with pacemakers are more likely to have problems with interference from microwave radiation, but the risk is very low and the risk of a seizure is much higher. Additionally, small children are more likely to be affected by EMFs in general, but this does not mean that their pacemakers will be affected.
stpmic
Mod note: link removed

I work in a school district as the Director of Instruction. A parent came to me with a concern based on the video link above. The main point David Wolfe is trying to make is that the technolgoy we are using is harmful to our bodies becasue it is emiting 20-1000 mhz of electricty that has been known to casue seaizures and other negative side effects to humans.

What is the truth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
stpmic said:
Mod note: link removed

I work in a school district as the Director of Instruction. A parent came to me with a concern based on the video link above. The main point David Wolfe is trying to make is that the technolgoy we are using is harmful to our bodies becasue it is emiting 20-1000 mhz of electricty that has been known to casue seaizures and other negative side effects to humans.

What is the truth?

The energy in this frequency band is low and the wavelengths associated are so large that they do not interact with us much on an atomic level. At 1000 MHz, the wavelength is about 1/3 of a meter or about 1 foot. Not much energy will be transferred to our cells to cause damage to them since they're physically so much smaller than that wavelength. The most likely kind of energy transferred to them would be heat energy, but your cells receive heat energy all the time even in the absense of electromagnetic radiation. The wavelengths are too large and so low energy that they cannot ionize the atoms in our cells, which is usually the type or radiation we link to cancer and other harmful effects.

There are cases that electromagnetic radiation can cause harm, but this is at very high intensity and we don't even come close to this with cell phones and electronics devices.

As to that video, the guy is a crackpot and I don't even want to start going on how wrong he is and the assumptions he is making. Also notice all the "health" products he's trying to sell in his living room.

Last edited by a moderator:
DragonPetter said:
As to that video, the guy is a crackpot and I don't even want to start going on how wrong he is and the assumptions he is making.

:bugeye: How does he figure that grounding himself means he's no longer being bombarded by the radiation?

Are their studies or the effects pertaining to certainin populations (reference groups) of people... for example would the effect be different for someone with a pacemaker, or epilepsy, small children vs adults?

Side Note: The sales pitch was a dead give away for me, however I needed to ask the question. I often think about the harmful effects of our daily intentional actions like loud music, inattentive driving, dkrinking, smoking, etc...this seemed way low on my radar as a harmful effect. Thanks for the fast reply!

stpmic said:
Are their studies or the effects pertaining to certainin populations (reference groups) of people... for example would the effect be different for someone with a pacemaker, or epilepsy, small children vs adults?

Side Note: The sales pitch was a dead give away for me, however I needed to ask the question. I often think about the harmful effects of our daily intentional actions like loud music, inattentive driving, dkrinking, smoking, etc...this seemed way low on my radar as a harmful effect. Thanks for the fast reply!

Given the general agreement that the site in question is just a scammy sales pitch, I'll avoid discussing it directly.

I'll just address the one most common misconception...that microwaves interfere with pacemakers. Back in the early days of pacemakers and the early days of microwave ovens with poor shielding or inadequate safety mechanisms, it was possible to have interference (albeit much lower risk than warning signs might have suggested). Today, however, pacemakers are designed not to have problems with interference from these common household appliances, and microwave ovens are well-shielded too.

Some frequencies of light patterns can induce a seizure in those prone to seizures, but I don't know anything about other forms of energy waves being an issue.

DaveC426913 said:
:bugeye: How does he figure that grounding himself means he's no longer being bombarded by the radiation?

Err... Some kind of Faraday cage bs argument?

1. How is everyday technology affecting our health?

Everyday technology can have both positive and negative effects on our health. On one hand, it can improve our access to information, communication, and entertainment, which can have positive impacts on our mental and emotional well-being. However, excessive use of technology, such as prolonged screen time, can also lead to physical health problems like eye strain, neck and back pain, and sleep disturbances. It is important to find a balance and use technology in moderation to avoid potential health risks.

2. Can everyday technology lead to addiction?

Yes, everyday technology can lead to addiction in some individuals. This is especially true for social media, video games, and other forms of entertainment that provide instant gratification. Addiction to technology can have negative impacts on mental health, relationships, and overall well-being. It is important to be aware of the signs of addiction and seek help if needed.

3. Are there any long-term effects of everyday technology use?

There is still ongoing research on the long-term effects of everyday technology use. Some studies suggest that excessive screen time and sedentary behavior can increase the risk of obesity, heart disease, and other health problems. Additionally, constant use of technology can lead to cognitive changes and decreased attention spans. It is important to use technology in moderation and engage in other activities to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

4. Is technology making us more or less productive?

The answer to this question can vary depending on the individual and the type of technology being used. Technology can certainly increase efficiency and streamline tasks, leading to increased productivity in some cases. However, it can also be a distraction and lead to procrastination. It is important to use technology mindfully and prioritize tasks to maximize productivity.

5. Can everyday technology affect our social skills?

Yes, everyday technology can affect our social skills in both positive and negative ways. On one hand, it can improve communication and connection with others, especially those who are far away. However, excessive use of technology, particularly social media, can also lead to decreased face-to-face interactions and social skills. It is important to maintain a balance and engage in offline social activities to develop and maintain strong social skills.

Back