Theory of Systems of Rays question

In summary: I still don't understand why that expression needs to be an exact differential of two variables, nor why that last equation (equation (F)) represents that condition.
LeonhardEuler
Gold Member
Hello everyone. I'm looking through an old book on optics and something there has me really confused. I attached the two pages I'm referring to, or you can find them here:
http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/HistMath/People/Hamilton/Rays/
as pages 14 and 15 in the pdf.

Basically, what's going on is that he is talking about rays of light hitting a mirror. He wants to find the equation of a mirror surface that reflects a given system of incoming rays to a single focal point, without yet saying anything about the nature of the incoming rays. The cosines of the angles an incoming ray makes with the x, y, and z-axis are α, β, and γ, while the the cosines for the reflected ray are α', β', and γ'. Equation (E) was already derived as the basic equation for dealing with reflections. For reference here, equation (E) is
[tex] (\alpha + \alpha ')dx + (\beta + \beta ')dy + (\gamma + \gamma ')dz = 0[/tex]
Next he argues that
[tex]\alpha 'dx + \beta 'dy +\gamma 'dz[/tex]
is an exact differential with an argument that makes sense. My trouble comes next. He says
William Rowan Hamilton said:
If therefore the equation (E) be integrable, that is, if it can be satisfied by any unknown relation between x,y,z it is necessary that in establishing this unknown relation between those three variables, the part [itex](\alpha dx + \beta dy + \gamma dz)[/itex] should also be an exact differential of a function of the two variables which remain independent; the condition of this circumstance is here
[tex](\alpha + \alpha ')(\frac{\partial \beta}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial \gamma}{\partial y}) + (\beta + \beta ')(\frac{\partial \gamma}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial z}) + (\gamma + \gamma ')(\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x})[/tex]
I understand neither why that expression needs to be an exact differential of two variables, nor why that last equation (equation (F)) represents that condition. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Page1.png
    Page1.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 433
  • Page2.png
    Page2.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone even knows what is meant by "an exact differential of a function of the two variables which remain independent" that would be helpful. I guessed that it meant I would assume z=F(x,y), [itex]dz=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}dy[/itex], so I substituted that into see what equation that would give me when I imposed the condition of an exact differential, but I always got an equation where F appears and I can't get rid of it.

LeonhardEuler said:
If anyone even knows what is meant by "an exact differential of a function of the two variables which remain independent" that would be helpful. I guessed that it meant I would assume z=F(x,y), [itex]dz=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}dy[/itex], so I substituted that into see what equation that would give me when I imposed the condition of an exact differential, but I always got an equation where F appears and I can't get rid of it.

dz will be called an exact differential when in dz=Mdx+Ndy,∂M/∂y=∂N/∂x.

Thanks for the reply andrien. My understanding was that he was saying (αdx+βdy+γdz) was an exact differential. I tried to deal with this by substituting my expression for dz into get
[tex](\alpha + \gamma\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})dx + (\beta +\gamma\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})dy[/tex]
And this would be the exact differential. Using the condition you mentioned, I get
[tex]\frac{\partial (\alpha + \gamma\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial (\beta +\gamma\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})}{\partial x}[/tex]
But I don't see a way to get this to reduce to equation (F) as required.

I actually made a bit of progress on this and answered my first question, although I still don't know about the second. As for why (αdx+βdy+γdz) is an exact differential, it's now pretty clear that since it was proven
[tex]-d\rho '=\alpha 'dx + \beta 'dy + \gamma 'dz[/tex]
Combining this with the original equation
[tex] (\alpha + \alpha ')dx + (\beta + \beta ')dy + (\gamma + \gamma ')dz = 0[/tex]
gives
[tex]\alpha dx + \beta dy + \gamma dz = d\rho '[/tex]
But this equation applies only to the solution of the differential equation for, say, z as a function of x and y, and is not an identity for the functions α, β and γ. So the expression is, as Hamilton said, an exact differential in the two variables that remain independent.

The only question I still have is how that condition leads to the equation
[tex](\alpha + \alpha ')(\frac{\partial \beta}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial \gamma}{\partial y}) + (\beta + \beta ')(\frac{\partial \gamma}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial z}) + (\gamma + \gamma ')(\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x})=0[/tex]

1. What is the Theory of Systems of Rays?

The Theory of Systems of Rays, also known as the Theory of Geometrical Optics, is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of light as it travels through various media, such as air, water, or glass. It explains how light rays interact with each other and with surfaces to form images.

2. Who developed the Theory of Systems of Rays?

The Theory of Systems of Rays was first developed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. It was further developed by scientists such as Christiaan Huygens and Isaac Newton in the following centuries.

3. What is the difference between the Theory of Systems of Rays and the Theory of Wave Optics?

The Theory of Systems of Rays is based on the assumption that light travels in straight lines and does not take into account the wave-like nature of light. On the other hand, the Theory of Wave Optics considers light as an electromagnetic wave and explains phenomena such as diffraction and interference.

4. How is the Theory of Systems of Rays used in practical applications?

The Theory of Systems of Rays is used in various fields such as optics, astronomy, and engineering to design and analyze systems that use light, such as lenses, telescopes, and cameras. It also helps in understanding the behavior of light in different environments, which is crucial in fields like fiber optics and laser technology.

5. What are some limitations of the Theory of Systems of Rays?

The Theory of Systems of Rays is limited in its ability to fully explain the behavior of light, especially in complex systems. It does not take into account the wave nature of light, which becomes significant in certain situations. Additionally, it does not consider the effects of diffraction, which can affect the accuracy of predictions in certain scenarios.