Understanding Current using nqvA

• Thread starter Googl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: University's website provides an equation for current, called the Ratchaburi equation. The equation states that current is equal to the concentration of n or p (holes or electrons) multiplied by the velocity of the charge carriers.
Googl
Hi all,

I was wondering whether someone might help further understand the following equation for current. I mean get a good picture of how each valuable relates to each other and how they come to represent current.

Current = nqvA

Thanks. I know what each valuable represents but I can't seem to get a good picture how the equal represents current especially; Where time is taken into account since current is the rate of charge carriers/electrons.

I hope I have made my self clear.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops. No need I understand it now.

...but I would appreciate any replies just to make sure.

Googl said:
Hi all,

I was wondering whether someone might help further understand the following equation for current. I mean get a good picture of how each valuable relates to each other and how they come to represent current.

Current = nqvA

Thanks. I know what each valuable represents but I can't seem to get a good picture how the equal represents current especially; Where time is taken into account since current is the rate of charge carriers/electrons.

I hope I have made my self clear.

Thanks.
Could you please say what the variables in that equation all stand for? Where did you find that equation and what was the context? I have a problem with balancing it, dimensionally if the variables are what I assume they are.

sophiecentaur said:
Could you please say what the variables in that equation all stand for? Where did you find that equation and what was the context? I have a problem with balancing it, dimensionally if the variables are what I assume they are.

n = density of charge carriers (1/m^3)
q = charge of a charge carrier. (coulomb)
v = average speed of charge carriers. (m/s)
A = area of cross-section of wire m^2.

If you multiply them together you get coulomb/s = Ampere

Just checking we're reading from the same hymn sheet..
This is the 'well known' relationship in which the dimensions are the same each side (that should be reassuring). The way it's derived is to consider a cylinder with of area A and unit length, moving at average speed v. The number of charges in the cylinder will be n times the volume, which is nA (times one, the unit length) so the charge in it will be nqA (per unit length) and the number of charges passing a point in one second will be nqAv. That's I, the current.
OK?

Googl,

I remember it as:

n or p (holes or electrons) = charge carriers
q = charge per carrier --±1.6E-19 C/(electron or hole)
v = velocity
A = area

So n*q*v*A or p*q*v*A equals current

Sometimes J (current density) is used. J = I/A = q*(p or n)*v.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have written in the first line, "concentration of n or p (holes or electrons) = charge carriers/m^3 .

Ratch

Last edited:

What is "Understanding Current using nqvA"?

"Understanding Current using nqvA" is a scientific concept that involves understanding the flow of electric charge, known as current, using the formula Q=It, where Q is the charge in coulombs, I is the current in amperes, and t is the time in seconds.

How is "Understanding Current using nqvA" relevant in scientific research?

Understanding current using nqvA is crucial in many areas of scientific research, such as electronics, physics, and engineering. It allows scientists to accurately measure and manipulate electric current, which is essential for the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields.

What are the units used in "Understanding Current using nqvA"?

The units used in "Understanding Current using nqvA" are coulombs (C) for charge, amperes (A) for current, and seconds (s) for time. These units are derived from the fundamental units of the International System of Units (SI).

How does "Understanding Current using nqvA" relate to Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. This relationship can be expressed as V=IR, where V is the voltage in volts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. Understanding current using nqvA is crucial for understanding and applying Ohm's law in practical situations.

What are some practical applications of "Understanding Current using nqvA"?

"Understanding Current using nqvA" has numerous practical applications, such as in designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits, measuring energy consumption, and developing advanced technologies such as smartphones, computers, and electric cars. It is also vital in fields such as medicine, where electric currents are used for various diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.