Can't get styles to work on the fist page of References - TeX

In summary: C]{\thepage}% except the center \renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt}% lines at the header \renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0pt}% lines at the footer}... which will make the entire document single pagestyle (no header or footer lines, centre page number) most people find this too plain, and modify the plain pagestyle to look something like the fancy pagestyle, with the addition of the page number. (I have a slightly different pagestyle for the first page of a chapter, too, but that's a
marcio
Hi all,

The references have about 10 pages, and I set them to be fancy, ie, footers, headers, page numbers etc... but this will only work from the second page on. The first page won't accept any other settings but LaTeX defaults.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Without knowing what TeX install you're using, what article type, etc. there's no real way of knowing. But if this is a TeX of ONLY references, then perhaps its making the first page of the document your "title page" and automatically suppressing the footers/etc. So you need to figure out how to force page numbers/etc on a title page.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/68197/force-page-numbering-on-every-page

might have some info on forcing pagetype.

Hepth said:
Without knowing what TeX install you're using, what article type, etc. there's no real way of knowing. But if this is a TeX of ONLY references, then perhaps its making the first page of the document your "title page" and automatically suppressing the footers/etc. So you need to figure out how to force page numbers/etc on a title page.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/68197/force-page-numbering-on-every-page

might have some info on forcing pagetype.

It's a thesis so I chose 'report':

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{report}

and this is the references settings:

\bibliographystyle{ametsoc}
\renewcommand{\bibname}{Referências}
\bibliography{Referencias}%{lof}{\protect\thispagestyle{fancy}}
\thispagestyle{fancy}

and I'm using MikTeX on Windows 8.

Very much appreciated.

Like Hepth said, maybe you are observing that behavior BECAUSE the references document is a legal latex document and can be compiled in its own right...BUT, references are usually included into a main document...when you compile THAT document, the first page of the references document will not be the first page of the document and, thus, I think it will behave that way you seem to want it to.

Does this make sense? Is that what you are doing/not-doing?

gsal said:
Like Hepth said, maybe you are observing that behavior BECAUSE the references document is a legal latex document and can be compiled in its own right...BUT, references are usually included into a main document...when you compile THAT document, the first page of the references document will not be the first page of the document and, thus, I think it will behave that way you seem to want it to.

Does this make sense? Is that what you are doing/not-doing?
To be honest, and with all due respect and my limited knowledge of LaTeX, I don't think this makes much sense! We should be able to do whatever we need. I, for instance, just can't figure out how to do this!

Márcio

Márcio:

I hear you. The thing is that if you are coming from other word processors that make certain things seemingly easier to achieve, you certainly find that latex has a totally different paradigm and accompanying learning curve...but it is much more powerful, stable and scalable.

Just keep in mind that Latex is not a word processor; latex and friends are a publishing tool-chain that at times can feel more like programming than writing...and you do have to compile to see the results.

So, while some limited amount of venting is understandable, if you really want some help around here, you need to also do some experimentation, try alternatives in an attempt to achieve the same final results, etc., and provide feedback.

So, here are some explicit question for which would be nice if you gave explicit answers:

is the References document a legal, self-contain latex document that can be compiled on its own?

or is it a bibliography file?

are you planning to compile the References document, print it and THEN manually bind it after the Thesis document?

Or

are you planning to \include or \input the References document into the main Thesis document?

Or

are you planning to use a bibliography file that after using references from there along your Thesis document, at the end, you can request a References section listing all used references throughout your document?

gsal said:
Márcio:

I hear you. The thing is that if you are coming from other word processors that make certain things seemingly easier to achieve, you certainly find that latex has a totally different paradigm and accompanying learning curve...but it is much more powerful, stable and scalable.

Just keep in mind that Latex is not a word processor; latex and friends are a publishing tool-chain that at times can feel more like programming than writing...and you do have to compile to see the results.

So, while some limited amount of venting is understandable, if you really want some help around here, you need to also do some experimentation, try alternatives in an attempt to achieve the same final results, etc., and provide feedback.

So, here are some explicit question for which would be nice if you gave explicit answers:

is the References document a legal, self-contain latex document that can be compiled on its own?

or is it a bibliography file?

are you planning to compile the References document, print it and THEN manually bind it after the Thesis document?

Or

are you planning to \include or \input the References document into the main Thesis document?

Or

are you planning to use a bibliography file that after using references from there along your Thesis document, at the end, you can request a References section listing all used references throughout your document?

Yes, it is a thesis and I'm using a bibliography file (bibtex) like this:

\bibliographystyle{ametsoc}
\renewcommand{\bibname}{Referências}
\bibliography{ref/Referencias}

I noticed the same behaviour happens to the Appendix. The first page is set as default and the others accept my personalized settings (footer, header etc)

Many thanks

Most LxTeX document formats are designed so the first page of each chunk of the document (e.g. each chapter) has a different format. That usually makes sense, because you don't want the chapter heading duplicated as part of the page heading on the same page.

That is usually built into the code of the \chapter or \section command, using \thispagestyle{...} to redefine the page style for the current page.

The table of contents, bibliography, etc, usually use \chapter or \section to typeset their own headings, so they inherit the same behaviour.

The best way to override this is redefine the "plain" page style to look the same as the other pages. See http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/CTAN/macros/latex/contrib/fancyhdr/fancyhdr.pdf section 7 (on page 7)

A crude brute force method is just to define "thispagestyle" to do nothing (and ignore the LaTeX Style Police trying to break down your door!)

Code:
\def\thispagestyle#1{}

AlephZero said:
Most LxTeX document formats are designed so the first page of each chunk of the document (e.g. each chapter) has a different format. That usually makes sense, because you don't want the chapter heading duplicated as part of the page heading on the same page.

That is usually built into the code of the \chapter or \section command, using \thispagestyle{...} to redefine the page style for the current page.

The table of contents, bibliography, etc, usually use \chapter or \section to typeset their own headings, so they inherit the same behaviour.

The best way to override this is redefine the "plain" page style to look the same as the other pages. See http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/CTAN/macros/latex/contrib/fancyhdr/fancyhdr.pdf section 7 (on page 7)

A crude brute force method is just to define "thispagestyle" to do nothing (and ignore the LaTeX Style Police trying to break down your door!)

Code:
\def\thispagestyle#1{}
Holy cow, AlephZero! I can't thank you enough. You just hit the nail in the head with the \def command.

Cheers

Márcio

Last edited:
Hi

Do you know if there is a way of 'stopping' this command? Once you use it, all following pages get footers and headers etc.

Very much appreciated

figured out. thank you!

1. Why aren't my styles showing up on the first page of my References section?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure that the styles you are trying to apply are compatible with the References section. Some styles may only work for the body of the document. Additionally, check that the section break between the main body and the References section is not causing any issues. Finally, double check that the styles are correctly applied to the References section in your document.

2. My styles work on every other page except for the first page of my References. What could be causing this?

This is most likely due to the fact that the first page of the References section is usually formatted differently than the rest of the document. You may need to apply the styles specifically to the first page of the References section, rather than the entire section.

3. How can I make my styles appear on the first page of my References section without affecting the rest of the document?

One way to do this is to use a section break to create a separate first page for the References section. You can then apply the styles specifically to this first page without affecting the rest of the document.

4. I have tried all of the above solutions and my styles still won't show up on the first page of my References. What else can I do?

If none of the above solutions work, there may be an issue with the specific style you are trying to apply. Make sure that the style code is correct and compatible with your document. You may also want to try applying a different style to see if that works on the first page of the References section.

5. Is there a way to automatically apply styles to the first page of my References section in all future documents?

Yes, you can create a template or style guide that includes the necessary styles for the first page of the References section. This way, every time you create a new document, the styles will automatically be applied to the first page of the References section without any extra effort on your part.