Confusion on applying right hand rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the use of the right hand rule to determine the magnetic deflecting force on a proton in a uniform magnetic field. The field is given as 1.2 mT pointing vertically upward, and the proton has a kinetic energy of 5.3 MeV moving horizontally to the north. The resulting force is calculated to be in the k^ direction, but there is disagreement on whether it should be in the z direction or the y direction. It is suggested that the confusion may stem from not correctly relating the directions of north/south, east/west, and up/down to the x, y, and z axes.
Genericcoder
Hi guys I always get confused when I do the right hand rule like here when I apply it to this problem I am getting different answer than what the book have.

A uniform magnetic field B, with magnitude 1.2 mT, points vertically upward throughout the volume of the room in which you are sitting. A proton with kinetic energy of 5.3 MeV moves horizontally to the north through a certain point in the room. What magnetic deflecting force acts on the proton as it passes through this point ? The proton mass is 1.67 * 10^-27 kg.

so Fb = 6.1 * 10^-15 N; the book then says the force is sideways in horzontally to the east. I am getting it pointing in the z direction even when using cross product

FB = q<v,0,0> x <0,B,0>

Fb = qvB k^ direction

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your convention for relating north/south, east/west, and up/down to the x, y, and z axes? You know you've mixed something up if the force isn't perpendicular to the B field and the velocity.

(I'm assuming that you are using i,, j, and k as unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions respectively).

Ye I am using i j k as unit vectros x,y,and z directions respectively.. but I think that's what I have not relating north/south up down to x and y and z directions..

Shouldn't your field be (0,0,B)?

First of all, it is important to note that the right hand rule is a tool used to determine the direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. It is based on the cross product of the velocity of the particle and the magnetic field vector. It is a common source of confusion, so do not worry if you are struggling with it.

In this specific problem, we have a uniform magnetic field B pointing vertically upward and a proton moving horizontally to the north. To apply the right hand rule, you need to align your thumb with the velocity vector (north) and your fingers with the magnetic field vector (up). The direction in which your palm is facing will be the direction of the magnetic force.

In this case, your thumb will be pointing to the east and your palm will be facing upward, indicating that the magnetic force is sideways and horizontally to the east, as the book states.

It is important to note that the direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle depends on both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the particle's velocity. So, if you change the direction of either one, the direction of the force will also change.

To summarize, make sure you are correctly aligning your hand with the velocity and magnetic field vectors, and remember that the direction of the force depends on both of these vectors. Keep practicing and don't hesitate to seek help if you are still struggling with the right hand rule. It is a valuable tool in understanding and analyzing magnetic fields and their effects on charged particles.

What is the right hand rule and why is it important in science?

The right hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of a magnetic field, current, or force in a three-dimensional space. It is important in science because it allows us to visualize and understand the behavior of these fundamental forces.

How do you apply the right hand rule?

To apply the right hand rule, you need to hold your right hand in a specific way. Your thumb should be pointing in the direction of the current or force, your fingers should be curled towards the magnetic field, and your palm should face in the direction of the resultant force. The direction in which your fingers curl represents the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the difference between the right hand rule and the left hand rule?

The right hand rule is used to determine the direction of a magnetic field, current, or force in a three-dimensional space, whereas the left hand rule is used to determine the direction of an electric current in a magnetic field. The two rules use opposite hand positions and thus give opposite directions.

Can the right hand rule be applied to all situations?

The right hand rule can be applied to most situations involving magnetic fields, currents, and forces. However, there are some exceptions where the left hand rule or other methods may need to be used, such as in situations involving negative charges or moving charges in a gravitational field.

What are some examples of using the right hand rule in real life?

The right hand rule is used in a variety of real-life situations, such as in the design of electric motors and generators, determining the direction of magnetic fields in MRI machines, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators. It is also commonly used in engineering and physics research to study the behavior of electromagnetism.