Name of a geometrical shape

by xaratustra
Tags: geometrical, shape
xaratustra is offline
Nov26-13, 04:59 AM
P: 29
What is the geometrical shape called, when combining 3 ellipses together, such that each two share one focal point and together form a kind of 60 degree triangular shape?

It will look similar to Reuleaux triangle, but it is not formed out of a triangle, but 3 ellipses, as if you are gluing one ellipse to each side of a triangle.

Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
xaratustra is offline
Nov26-13, 05:44 AM
P: 29
I think it is called a superellipse. I found a formula and an octave program on Wikipedia. The one I was looking for is the one with parameters "3 6 6 6", the table on the right side. The plot in octave also works by using the following command:
sf2d([3 6 6 6],[1 1])
anyway, thanks.

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Assuming Complex Shape a Simple Shape. What is this called? Differential Geometry 2
Conversion from 'Shape*' to non-scalar type 'Shape' requested Programming & Computer Science 10
Representing a point in an n-dimensional space in a 2D geometrical shape Differential Geometry 0
what's differance between J-shape cure & S-shape curve Biology, Chemistry & Other Homework 1
Shape Shape-shifting strings... solids, liquids, and gasses Beyond the Standard Model 2