How to solve this equation

by sid9221
Tags: equation, solve
sid9221
Dec5-13, 08:19 AM
P: 110
Hi,

I can't come up with a general forumla for x in this equation. Any advice ?

x = y sin(x)
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
Mentallic
Dec5-13, 08:26 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,436
There is no analytic solution for x. Your best bet is to use Newton's method or any other approximation method that will give you as much accuracy as you desire.
economicsnerd
Dec5-13, 08:51 AM
P: 206
Beyond an analytic solution, there isn't a unique solution. The function [itex]\mathbb R\setminus \pi\mathbb Z \to \mathbb R[/itex] taking [itex]x\to y=\dfrac{x}{\sin x}[/itex] isn't one-to-one. In fact, there are infinitely many places at which very-close-but-different values of [itex]x[/itex] are taken to the exact same [itex]y[/itex] value.

epenguin
Dec5-13, 10:46 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,932

How to solve this equation

Quote Quote by economicsnerd View Post
Beyond an analytic solution, there isn't a unique solution. The function [itex]\mathbb R\setminus \pi\mathbb Z \to \mathbb R[/itex] taking [itex]x\to y=\dfrac{x}{\sin x}[/itex] is very non-injective. There are infinitely many points at which it isn't even locally injective.
The intersection between those who would ask the OPs question and those who know who know what injective or locally injective must be null or a small number. A reasonable number that include me belong to neither class.
economicsnerd
Dec5-13, 11:28 AM
P: 206
Quote Quote by epenguin View Post
The intersection between those who would ask the OPs question and those who know who know what injective or locally injective must be null or a small number. A reasonable number that include me belong to neither class.
You're right! I'll edit it (though my quoted mistake is immortalized in your post). :)

Register to reply