I have no idea how to start this help

In summary: For b, the answer should be -9.8 N, because the rope is being pulled towards the center of the circle and the tension is increasing as you get closer to the center. For c, the answer should be 9.8 N, because the tension is still increasing as you get closer to the center.
physics_ash82
A stuntman whose mass is 70 kg swings from the end of a 4.0-m-long rope along the arc of a vertical circle. Assuming he starts from rest when the rope is horizontal, find the tensions on the rope that are required to make him follow his circular path,(a) at the beginning of his motion, (b) at a height of 1.5 m above the bottom of the circular arc, and (c) at the bottom of his arc.

I think on the first part you take the sum F=0 I think

Physics news on Phys.org
Use free-body diagrams (there will be angles involved at the 1.5m above bottom point). Use the principle of conservation of energy to find the energy at various heights. Assume he starts at v=0.

The force summation in the direction of the length of the rope must be equal to F = v^2/r as he is undergoing circular motion. There are only two forces involved: rope tension and gravity.

so will the angles made on the triangle be 45degrees? and I use them in my calculations?

Where are you getting the 45 degrees from? Are you using trigonometry?

Well the angle at 1.5m from the bottom of the circle would be arccos(2.5/4) = 0.89 rad --> pi/2 - 089 rad = 0.68 rad is the angle at that moment. Using the equation F = ma, you get F = m*V^2/r. However, I don't see how you can get velocity if you don't have time... Can someone help it out? I'm not getting it either. And I'm not sure when the angle I calculated comes into play

mezarashi said:
Use free-body diagrams (there will be angles involved at the 1.5m above bottom point). Use the principle of conservation of energy to find the energy at various heights. Assume he starts at v=0.

The force summation in the direction of the length of the rope must be equal to F = v^2/r as he is undergoing circular motion. There are only two forces involved: rope tension and gravity.

b)ohhh, I see what u mean by using the conservation of energy. So, it is mgh = 0.5mv^2 + mgh,
9.8 * 4 = 0.5 * v^2 + 9.8 * 1.5
v = 7m/s.

Plugging in the equation F = ma,
F = m * v^2 / r

F = 70kg * 7^2 / 4
F = 857N
So the answer is 857 N? I think this number is too large...

For a, the answer should be 0, because when you plug in F = m * v^2/r, since v is 0, F would also be 0

1. What is the first step in starting a project?

The first step in starting any project is to clearly define your goals and objectives. This will help give you a direction for your project and guide your decision-making process.

2. How do I break down a large project into smaller tasks?

Breaking down a large project into smaller tasks can seem overwhelming, but it can be done by making a list of all the main components of the project and then breaking them down into smaller, more manageable tasks. This will help you stay organized and on track.

3. How do I prioritize tasks in my project?

Prioritizing tasks in your project is crucial to its success. Start by identifying the most important tasks that need to be completed first. Consider the level of effort required for each task and the dependencies between tasks. You can also use tools like a Gantt chart to help visualize and prioritize tasks.

4. How do I manage my time effectively during a project?

Managing time effectively during a project is essential. Start by creating a schedule or timeline for your project and stick to it as closely as possible. Make sure to set aside time for unexpected delays or setbacks. Also, be sure to prioritize your tasks and delegate when necessary to ensure that you are using your time efficiently.

5. How do I handle setbacks or roadblocks during a project?

Setbacks and roadblocks are common during any project, but the key is to not let them discourage you. Instead, approach them as opportunities for problem-solving and learning. Take a step back and assess the situation, and then come up with a plan to overcome the setback. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek advice from colleagues or mentors.