The Physics of Wind (Not Aerodynamics in the strictest sense)

In summary: Navier-Stokes is a very difficult equation to understand without more mathematical background. Without knowing the mathematical derivation of the equation, it would be very difficult to understand what is being discussed.
freesonwang
Hi there!

I'm doing research for computer science and I have to simulate wind movement. Obviously, I need to know stuff about wind movement.

I've tried several books and they haven't given me what I want. Most books have the whole "how do we make this airplane go fast" thing going on.

My project is more on "why does a flag wave in wind?", "why does hair wave in wind?", "why does a blade of grass move back and forth in wind?". I haven't been able to get any answers. (From my understanding, if you apply a force on something...it'll go that way :uhh: Like if I push against a book, it'll move that way. Why does wind make something go back and forth?)

I like physics, but I'm not a big physics person, so go easy on me here if I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really clear on your question, but wind makes things move back and forth because of oscillations induced by lift.

There's a couple of ways to look a this.

When an object is moved/deformed by a force, unless that force is great enough, the deflection will have a result of building up potential in the object that will want to make it return back to it's original position. Think of a spring or rubber band. The elastic potential energy is provided by the wind. When the object reaches it's maximum deflection, the potential to return itself to the original shape is highest. Once it gets back to that spot, the cycle starts all over again.

Of course all of the forces that cause the initial deflections are due to pressure imbalances and thus aerodynamic. If you want to get away from the aircraft angle on things, look into building modes of oscillation and things like shedding vorticies and Karaman vorticies. If you want to see something similar in an aircraft sense, do some research on flutter.

Keywords: fluid dynamics and Navier-Stokes equations.

Even though you are correct, Navier-Stokes for someone who is admittedly "not a big physics person" is going to have him running for the hills.

1. What causes wind?

Wind is caused by differences in air pressure. Air moves from high pressure areas to low pressure areas, creating wind.

2. How is wind measured?

Wind is measured using an instrument called an anemometer. It measures the speed and direction of the wind.

3. What is the Coriolis effect and how does it relate to wind?

The Coriolis effect is the apparent deflection of objects (like wind) due to the Earth's rotation. It causes winds to move in a curved path instead of a straight line.

4. Can wind be harnessed as a source of energy?

Yes, wind can be harnessed as a renewable source of energy through the use of wind turbines. These turbines convert the kinetic energy of the wind into electricity.

5. How does wind affect weather patterns?

Wind plays a crucial role in shaping weather patterns. It can transport moisture and heat, causing changes in temperature and precipitation. It also helps to distribute warm and cold air, creating different weather conditions around the world.