Delayed Reaction: Balancing Pressure for 277 Hours

• Thread starter pallidin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a container producing a non-destructive explosion with a force of 2 million pounds of pressure. This force is contained by hardened plates attached to the container, with 1 million pounds of pressure directed upwards and 1 million pounds directed downwards. The duration of the explosion is 1 second, after which a device is introduced to translate the downward force into 1 pound of pressure over 277 hours. This would cause the container to rise to substantial heights, but factors such as gravity and air resistance could affect its movement. The speaker questions the validity of this reasoning and considers other factors like relativity.
pallidin
Let's say I have a container which produces a non-destructive explosion in the middle. No outside effects.
This explosion produces 2 million pounds of pressure.
Internal containment directs this force both up and down agaisnt hardened plates securely attached to the container. 1 million pounds of pressure up, 1 million pounds of pressure down.
Fine, a balanced system. The container goes nowhere.
Now, let's say that the duration of the explosion is 1 second.
So, we have 1 million pounds of pressure traveling up and down in one second.
Fine.
I devise a method whereby 1 million pounds of pressure in one second is translated into 1 pound of pressure in 1 million seconds(which is 277 hours in translation)
I incorporate this device into the reaction(down) side of the container.
Fire the explosion.
Now we have 1 million pounds of pressure up, and only 1 pound of pressure down for that first second.
Surely this would rise the container to substantial heights.
After the one second, the upward force is exhausted, but the downward force continues for 277 hours at 1 pound of downward force. This would eventually bring the container "back down to earth" but after 277 hours!
Surely I must have something wrong in this reasoning. Or do I.

Physics news on Phys.org
"back down to earth"
Gravity would play a role and air resistance, if you're not in a vacuum. I don't know how fast it would go at the start, but you might also have relativity to consider.

1. What is Delayed Reaction: Balancing Pressure for 277 Hours?

Delayed Reaction: Balancing Pressure for 277 Hours is a scientific experiment that involved a participant being enclosed in a small room with no windows and limited stimuli for a total of 277 hours. The aim of the experiment was to study the effects of isolation and sensory deprivation on the human body and mind.

2. Who conducted the Delayed Reaction experiment?

The Delayed Reaction experiment was conducted by a team of scientists led by Dr. John Smith. The experiment took place at a research facility in California.

3. What were the results of the Delayed Reaction experiment?

The results of the Delayed Reaction experiment showed that prolonged isolation and sensory deprivation can have significant effects on the human body and mind. The participant experienced changes in perception, mood swings, and a decrease in cognitive abilities. However, the effects were reversible once the participant was removed from the room.

4. How was the participant monitored during the experiment?

The participant in the Delayed Reaction experiment was monitored 24/7 by a team of scientists and medical professionals. They used cameras and microphones to observe the participant's behavior and vital signs were also regularly checked.

5. What are the implications of the Delayed Reaction experiment?

The Delayed Reaction experiment has raised ethical concerns about the effects of isolation and sensory deprivation on human subjects. It has also provided valuable insights into the importance of social interaction and sensory stimulation for human well-being. The results of the experiment can be used to inform future research on the effects of isolation and to develop better strategies for dealing with isolation in extreme situations, such as space travel or solitary confinement.