Perpetual Motion: Tests & Guidelines for Legitimacy

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of perpetual motion machines and what guidelines and tests they would have to pass in order to be considered legitimate. The participants discussed the concept of over unity and how it differs from perpetual motion, as well as the various forms of energy that could potentially power such a machine. The USPTO's requirements for patent applications related to perpetual motion machines were also mentioned. Ultimately, the conversation highlighted the challenges and controversies surrounding the idea of perpetual motion and the various interpretations of this concept.
molitovv
This is a Edit ...

What Tests and Guidelines would a perpetual motion machine have to pass to be considered legit?

thanks everyone
matt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF molitovv,

I assume you machine will oscillate, in which case it should do so indefinatly at constant amplitude. Have you created this or is it simply a thought exercise?

~H

Last edited:
molitovv said:
Hi everyone, i have been beavering away in the workshop and i think i have nailed a perpetual motion machine. this is pretty exciting, but i thought i would like substantiate it before i did anything else, obviously you guys are going to be sceptical, and obviously i won't be giving to much away. what do you think would be some guidelines that i would have to conform to in order to say that i had done it?

look forward to your help
matt
Molitovv,

Saying "I've built a PMM" is like saying "I've proved Relativity wrong". By this forum's guidelines, such a statement is considered "overly speculative" and is a violation of the posting rules.

If the OP merely asked, "what are the tests that a PMM will have to pass ?" that might be accepted. Please read the forum guidelines again, and make sure you stick by them.

yes it does,

it has been going for about 2 weeks, the only thing that i can see that will stop it is wear

matt

ok, very sorry..
i don't know how else to get the information i need, any advice?

molitovv said:
the only thing that i can see that will stop it is wear

And wear is due to what...?

~H

PS Gokul it right, this post is a violation of the posting guidelines and the thread may be locked at the mentor's discretion. If you have original research it is recommeded that you post it in the independant research forum. However, until otherwise decided I'm going to assume 'you' meant to ask about the conditions for perpetual motion.

curious... but how did you go about this project... and perpetual motion in anyhting other than a thought project is... not reasonably expected to occour, and it does not. you probably used some sort of magnets in an electric motor type scheme did you not? this may eventually rub down on the components, causing enough friction to stop the thing. i have attempted to build super-efficient motors this way, the only hitch is there needs to be some way for a battery to re initiate the spin, with a little extra burst of electro magnetism when it mmanages to stop, such a device should not be too hard to design, but i have not put much thought into the process...

mabye a good sci-fair project.

molitovv said:
This is a Edit ...

What Tests and Guidelines would a perpetual motion machine have to pass to be considered legit?

thanks everyone
matt

perpetual motion(energy for nothing) is imposible,but that's not to say a device cannot extract energy from other sources, i believe you call it a catalist reaction

for example a water wheel turbine does not generate power by itself, it extracts energy from the moving water and nither the water or the wheel get used up, so by my definition it is a catalist that can turn linier force into rotary force and thus convert enercia into electricity

an over unity device is often mistakenly called perpetual motion

over unity is the idea that your input can be used to release or obtain more than you had orginaly,

example
the spark from the ignition coil which triggers the explosion in the fuel.

ZPE devices are not perpetual motion at all they are no diferent from a solar cell or radiant energy collector they just utillize existing energy in the surrounding enviroment

the problem is physics 101 forbids greater out put than input,and the very mis leading term perpetual motion means that often the term is used to explain the over unity, which is a load of CRAP.and renders the inventor a crackpot, its gunner be a while before people take a second look and start to consider them as energy harnessers and not perpetual motion machines

To elaborate
its been established that several unseen types of energy are present everywhere,scalar waves,ultra hi frequency EM waves,background static,cosmic & solar radiation, there is a lot of energy we can't see.

with some magnetic motors it has been proposed that they don't extract energy out of the magnet itself but that its fields interact with these other energy forms, that is where all the extra energy(over unity) is coming from, not the device itself.

Last edited:
molitovv said:
it has been going for about 2 weeks, the only thing that i can see that will stop it is wear

matt
From what I understand, the USPTO requires that a device like that operate for a year without external power before they will even review a patent application for it. That has significantly reduced the crackpottery they have to go through, but it isn't foolproof. My watch, afterall, can run for about 3 years without external power.

Also, there are several ways to define "perpetual motion" and while some violate the laws of physics, some do not. To be specific though, if a device in a closed system outputs a positive amount of power, it is one of the ones that violates the laws of physics. Ie, a solar cell will produce power essentially forever (on a human timescale...), but it isn't a closed system.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
it isn't a closed system.

Right on!, finaly we have a free thinker :smile: :smile: :smile:

Last edited:
thanks for your help guys

and thankyou for your open mind, RUSS talked about USPTO having guidelines for this sort of thing. does anyone know where i could get those?

p.s no magnets no motors, no external energy source, and it is a closed system,

in what way would a perpetual motion machine defy the laws of physics exactly? is it just the energy for nothing thing or would there be other problems?

thanks
matt

molitovv said:
p.s no magnets no motors, no external energy source, and it is a closed system,

you must have missed something... or are you not extracting energy? a spining magneticaly suspended flywheel in a vacuum doesn't count, that's called energy storage.

Last edited:
well, eventually that would stop wouldn't it, my thing, if you stop it, then let go it will start up by itsself again. but this is the sort of feedback I am looking for, cheers
matt

molitovv said:
in what way would a perpetual motion machine defy the laws of physics exactly? is it just the energy for nothing thing or would there be other problems?

thanks
matt

as yet no evidence exists anyware to sujest anyway by which energy could be spontaniously created from nothing. though its been said matter apears to be being spontaniously created in some parts of space, matter is energy and this is not understood. until that's explained i wouldn't rule it out dispite the many laws it may violate

molitovv said:
well, eventually that would stop wouldn't it, my thing, if you stop it, then let go it will start up by itsself again. but this is the sort of feedback I am looking for, cheers
matt

your best bet would be to have a respected physicist examine your device,for god sake do not use the words perpetual motion or theyl laugh in your face...

when you have valid data id sujest trying to get a patent which maybe a little hard,your going find it very hard to get anyone to take you seriously

Last edited:
ok I am getting the idea, you never know, i might change the world yet, and many amazing things have been made in home workshops. cheers for the help guys it is giving me an idea of what i have done.

.. and with that, we take you back to our regularly scheduled program.

Zz.

What is perpetual motion?

Perpetual motion is the hypothetical concept of a machine that can continuously operate without the need for an external energy source. It violates the laws of thermodynamics and has yet to be achieved.

Why is perpetual motion impossible?

Perpetual motion is impossible because it contradicts the first and second laws of thermodynamics. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. The second law states that there will always be some energy lost in the form of heat during energy transformations, making it impossible to have a machine that operates without an external energy source indefinitely.

What are some common tests for perpetual motion machines?

Some common tests for perpetual motion machines include the conservation of energy test, the efficiency test, and the self-sustaining test. These tests aim to determine if the machine can operate indefinitely without an external energy source and if it can produce more energy than it consumes.

How can a person determine if a perpetual motion machine is legitimate?

A person can determine if a perpetual motion machine is legitimate by following established guidelines and conducting thorough tests. These guidelines include ensuring the machine does not violate the laws of thermodynamics, verifying that it does not require an external energy source, and confirming that it is not simply a machine with hidden energy sources.

Why do people continue to search for perpetual motion machines?

People continue to search for perpetual motion machines because of the potential benefits it could bring, such as a limitless supply of energy. It also presents an interesting challenge for scientists and inventors to try and overcome the laws of thermodynamics. However, the pursuit of perpetual motion has also led to many fraudulent claims and wasted resources.