Solving Physics: 2.8 kg Pushed 1.52 m Up Wall w/F, G, & N Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving an object being pushed up a vertical wall with a constant force at an angle. The problem also involves finding the work done by various forces such as the applied force, gravitational force, and normal force, as well as calculating the increase in gravitational potential energy during the motion. However, there were some errors in the analysis and a need to revisit the free body diagram to accurately solve the problem.
heatherh1545
I have spent the last hour on this problem and I just can't seem to come up with the right answer:A 2.8 kg is pushed 1.52 m up a vertical wall with constant force of magnitude F applied at an angle of 63.7 degrees with the horizontal. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s (seconds squared) If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the was is .586 find the:
a) work done by F
b) Find the work done by the force of gravity
c) Find the work done by the normal force between the block and the wall
d) by how much does the gravitational potential energy increase during this motion?

I assumed that I was on the right track when I was trying to find the force by using : F=mu*mg/ cos theta + mu sin theta

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to revisit your free body diagram...

The force driving the object will break down into two component forces, one in the direction of the motion (the one that does the work) and one perpendicular to the wall (the normal force for the calculation of the frictional force).

By the looks of things, I think you just made an algebra error

heatherh1545 said:
I assumed that I was on the right track when I was trying to find the force by using : F=mu*mg/ cos theta + mu sin theta
But you are not asked to find F. You are given F. You are asked to find the work done by F.

As Fred points out, your analysis of the forces is incorrect. What are the horizontal forces? What is the net horizontal force? What is the downward force? What is the upward force? What is the acceleration?

AM

1. What is the formula for calculating the force applied in this scenario?

The formula for calculating force is F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the force of gravity in this situation?

The force of gravity can be calculated using the formula Fg=mg, where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

3. How do you determine the normal force in this scenario?

The normal force is equal and opposite to the force applied perpendicular to the surface, in this case the wall. Therefore, the normal force can be calculated using the formula Fn=Fcosθ, where Fn is the normal force, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the applied force and the wall.

4. What is the net force acting on the object?

The net force is the sum of all the forces acting on the object. In this scenario, it would be the force applied (F), the force of gravity (Fg), and the normal force (Fn). This can be calculated using the formula Fnet = F + Fg + Fn.

5. How do you calculate the work done by the applied force?

The work done by a force can be calculated using the formula W=Fd, where W is the work, F is the applied force, and d is the displacement in the direction of the force. In this scenario, the displacement would be 1.52 m in the upward direction.