How to Calculate Boat Velocity Relative to Shore in River Flow?

• Thread starter nocturnalwun
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of a boat traveling in a river with a 10 km/hr current. When the boat heads directly upstream, its velocity relative to the shore will be 0 km/hr. When it heads downstream, its velocity relative to the shore will be 20 km/hr. The process for finding the direction of the boat's movement relative to the shore involves using vector components and addition rules. The conversation also mentions purchasing a text for a class and asking for help with related problems.
nocturnalwun
Consider a boat that travels at 10 km/hr in still (non-moving) water. If the boat travels in a river that flows at a rate of 10 km/hr, what will be its velocity relative to the shore when it heads directly upstream (against the current)? What happens when it heads downstream (with the flow)? Explain

Suppose the boat is oriented at right angles to the water flow and begins moving. Using vector components and vector addition rules, how would you go about finding the direction in which the boat will move relative to the shore? I am interested in the process, not the numerical answer.

I have not been able to purchase the text needed for the class yet and I have an online quiz, so I am not able to figure out how to do these problems can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't crosspost. I moved your other post to the high-school help forum.

- Warren

sorry i wasn't aware until after u did it

1. What are the 2 simple questions in "I with 2 simple questions"?

The 2 simple questions in "I with 2 simple questions" are: "What is the subject?" and "What is the verb?" These questions help to identify the main elements of a sentence and understand its structure.

2. Why is it important to ask these 2 simple questions?

Asking these 2 simple questions helps to break down a sentence into its basic components and understand how they work together to convey meaning. This can improve reading comprehension and writing skills, as well as aid in language learning and analysis.

3. Can these 2 simple questions be applied to all types of sentences?

Yes, these 2 simple questions can be applied to all types of sentences, regardless of their complexity or length. They are the fundamental building blocks of sentence structure and can be used in any language.

4. Are there any other questions that should be asked in addition to these 2 simple questions?

There are other questions that can be asked to further analyze a sentence, such as "What is the object?" or "What is the adjective?" However, these 2 simple questions are a good starting point and cover the most essential components of a sentence.

5. How can asking these 2 simple questions benefit scientific research?

In scientific research, clear and concise communication is crucial. Asking these 2 simple questions can help scientists to better understand and communicate their findings, hypotheses, and methods. It can also aid in the analysis of complex data and improve the overall clarity and accuracy of scientific writing.