What is the maximum temperature for safe CPU overclocking?

In summary, the conversation discusses the highest temperatures reached by various CPUs, with some reaching 150 degrees Fahrenheit. However, it is mentioned that this temperature is not an issue for modern CPUs as they can operate at much higher temperatures, up to 125 degrees Celsius. Some individuals have even overclocked their CPUs and reached temperatures above 60 degrees Celsius without any issues.
phibonacci
What is the highest temperature your CPU has reached? Mine is 150 degrees fahrenheit. This was on an Athlon XP.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Mine doesn't ever get above 150 when I overclock - 160 is a little high. I have an XP 2500+.

62C after a few hours of testing my Pentium D 920 with an ambient temperature of around 28C.

150F is absolutely not an issue for modern CPUs. They are designed to be able to operate at upwards of 125C, or 257F.

- Warren

russ_watters said:
Mine doesn't ever get above 150 when I overclock - 160 is a little high. I have an XP 2500+.

I also have a Athlon XP 2500 (I believe it is a Barton) and I only reached 150 degrees once. My BIOS released a siren. Because I shut down the machine and it had time to cool, the temperture during runtime may have been higher than 150 degrees.

If your BIOS gave you an overtemperature warning, then I'm pretty sure you're talking about 150 degrees Celsisus, not 150 degree Fahrenheit. Be careful with your units.

- Warren

No, warren - most will have their alarms in the 60-70 celsius range.

Overclockers.com has all sorts of info, including a database of users overclocks. Here is an article, though, on their efforts with a certain processor. They pushed it up incrementally until it failed - at just above 62C.

edit: forgot the link... http://www.overclockers.com/articles1344/

Last edited by a moderator:
phibonacci said:
What is the highest temperature your CPU has reached? Mine is 150 degrees fahrenheit. This was on an Athlon XP.

I get this heat on my AMD 64 3000+

chroot said:
150F is absolutely not an issue for modern CPUs. They are designed to be able to operate at upwards of 125C, or 257F.

- Warren

Hehe i have my CPU near 125 F when doing heavy tasks with my water cooling system :biggrin:

I remember when i was into the whole overclock thing... "hmm... do i have any liquid nitrogen..."

I have a barebone I built myself. My Bios has a bunch of overclocking features built in.

My CPU is set to die aty 60c and my ABS (Anti burning system) is set to let that go to 73c and I have thermal resistor that is sitting at 53c right now. I could overclock the hell out of it, but I don't need to its perfect as it is.

1. What is considered a high CPU temperature?

A high CPU temperature typically ranges from 70-90 degrees Celsius (158-194 degrees Fahrenheit) depending on the specific processor and cooling system.

2. What can cause a high CPU temperature?

A high CPU temperature can be caused by factors such as inadequate cooling, dust buildup, overclocking, or a malfunctioning fan or heatsink.

3. How can I check my CPU temperature?

You can check your CPU temperature by using monitoring software such as Core Temp, HWMonitor, or SpeedFan. These programs will display real-time temperatures for your CPU and other components.

4. What are the risks of having a high CPU temperature?

A high CPU temperature can lead to decreased performance, system crashes, and potential damage to your processor. It can also shorten the lifespan of your CPU and other components.

5. How can I lower my CPU temperature?

To lower your CPU temperature, you can try cleaning out any dust or debris from your computer, improving airflow by adding more fans or improving your current cooling system, or reducing the load on your CPU by closing unnecessary programs or overclocking settings.