Teaching myself supersymmetry and supergravity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding good sources for studying supersymmetry and supergravity, as well as personal experiences and recommendations from others. Various online notes and books are suggested, with one person mentioning the Weinberg volume 3 as a good resource. They also mention the importance of understanding Feynman super diagrams and the increase in complexity compared to the Standard Model. Finally, a book recommendation is given as well.
simic4
Hi,

I am interested in teaching myself supersymmetry and supergravity. I have a decent qft background. I know of several good online notes,, but what I really need is a source of good problems. Anybody know where I can find such a source?

Does the Wess and Bagger book have good problems?

Thanks!

sim.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since there seems to be no replies,, perhaps i can modify my question.. for those of you who have studied supersymmetry, or supergravity, how did you learn it? what did you find worked and what didnt. what is your story..

:)

thanks!

Weinberg volume3, has more or less everything you need to know (its at the level of difficulty that you should be accustomed too by now) except that its a little light on Feynman super diagrams, which are a good way to mentally keep track of things and to not make a silly mistake. Keep in mind the degrees of freedom start growing enormously, like an order of magnitude more than the SM.

Last edited:
hey well, thanks for all the replies. there are some useful refs there.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is supersymmetry and supergravity?

Supersymmetry and supergravity are two related theories in physics that propose the existence of additional, yet undiscovered particles and forces beyond those described by the Standard Model. These theories aim to unify the fundamental forces of nature and provide a more complete understanding of the universe.

2. Why should I teach myself supersymmetry and supergravity?

Learning about supersymmetry and supergravity can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and may lead to new insights and discoveries in the field. Additionally, these theories have potential applications in areas such as cosmology and particle physics, making them valuable topics of study for scientists.

3. Is it difficult to teach myself supersymmetry and supergravity?

As with any complex scientific theory, learning about supersymmetry and supergravity can be challenging. However, with dedication and a strong foundation in mathematics and theoretical physics, it is possible to gain a solid understanding of these theories through self-teaching.

4. What resources are available for teaching myself supersymmetry and supergravity?

There are various textbooks, online lectures, and research papers available for individuals interested in learning about supersymmetry and supergravity. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops on the topic can provide valuable insights and resources.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of supersymmetry and supergravity in my research?

If you are a scientist in the field of physics, particularly in areas such as particle physics or cosmology, understanding supersymmetry and supergravity can provide new insights and potential directions for your research. These theories have also been applied in other disciplines, such as mathematics and computer science.