Dark matter and the 'theory of everything'

In summary, string theorists say they are close to finding a theory of everything, but all our theories to date (including quantum mechanics and special relativity as well as string theory) are only able to describe 4% of reality.
padremo
Has the discovery of dark matter and dark energy demolished our chances of finding a "theory of everything" any time soon - as I understand it string theorists say they are close(ish) to finding such a theory, but all our theories to date (including quantum mechanics and special relativity as well as string theory) are only able to describe 4% of reality (or have I (hopefully) got it wrong and dark matter/energy can be explained by 'one of the above')?

Rob.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is the efforts on Quantom Gravity will have to be guided by observations, either experiemental or astronomical observations.

Everytime some new observations come out, I can see the theories evolve very quickly to catch up. After certain point, I would expect the theories to be able to make testable predictions. A theory cannot be considered grown up until it can make predictions.

Discovery of Dark Mater Guides our Course

I too, back in the late 90's was very disturbed at how the course of physics would handle the discovery of such vast amounts of "Dark Matter" and furthermore "Dark Energy." I mean my jaw dropped when I understood the ramifications...which was immediate and I am only a layman physicist.

To understand it completely one needs to go back to the the equations of Faraday and Maxwell in classic physics. Even Niels Bore and Einstein always said there is more that we do not understand. Einstein was particulary plagued that he could not resolve the "Unified Field Theory."
It is interesting to note that most of the equations for the E=MC2 equation came from a compilation and integration from the mathematic forumula already derived by other scientists.

Now if you will go back to the science of the late 1800's and early 1900's
and read and understand what they had to say then about Zero Point Energy, you might leap into an understanding of the quantum field that will emerge into a new understanding of Gravity and a Unified Theory as well.

Read here. Easy!

http://www.calphysics.org/zpe.html

for further easy links just go here-

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=zero+point+energy&btnG=Google+Search

That first link is the just about the worst explanation for why helium does not freeze under atmospheric pressure that I have ever seen. Why does not any 'fluid' freeze as everything has a minimum energy. Load of bollocks. I wish people would look at things properly instead of trying to incorporate every single piece of phenomena to support their arguements.

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that is thought to make up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light, so it cannot be seen directly, but its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How is dark matter related to the "theory of everything"?

The "theory of everything" is a theoretical framework that aims to explain all physical phenomena in the universe, including the behavior of dark matter. It is believed that understanding dark matter is crucial in developing a complete theory of everything.

3. What evidence do we have for the existence of dark matter?

There are several lines of evidence that support the existence of dark matter. These include observations of the rotational speeds of galaxies, gravitational lensing effects, and the distribution of matter in the early universe. Additionally, experiments at the Large Hadron Collider have also provided evidence for the existence of dark matter particles.

4. Is dark matter the same as dark energy?

No, dark matter and dark energy are two distinct concepts. While dark matter is a type of matter that has gravitational effects on visible matter, dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

5. How do scientists study dark matter?

Scientists study dark matter through a variety of methods, including astronomical observations, particle physics experiments, and computer simulations. They also use mathematical models to understand the behavior of dark matter and its interactions with visible matter.