How do I solve for the integral of x^2 / (2x+2) without decomposition?

• Thread starter r16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the person is having difficulty finding an integral that meets the requirements for the function. They try decomposing the fraction, but this does not work. They next try using integration by parts, but this also does not work. They remember what integration by parts is and try to use it, but they are not able to solve for the unknown variable. They are able to find the integral using polynomial long division after remembering the rules.
r16
It has been about 2 years since i last did calculus but I am trying to get back into it so I am ready for college / don't kill myself because of boredom

I am having difficulty finding integrals of the form
[tex] \int{\frac{x^2}{x+a}dx} [/tex]

This integral inparticular is:
[tex]\int{{\frac{x^2}{2x+2}dx}[/tex]

I couldn't find a [itex]u[/itex] or a [itex] du [/itex] that would work

I then tried to decompose the fraction to [itex] \frac{x^2}{2x+2} = \frac{A}{2} + \frac{B}{x+1}[/itex] but could't solve for A, which makes sense, so that won't work.

Next i tied integration by parts
[tex] \int{vdu} = uv - \int{udv} [/tex]

where i used [itex] u=.5 ln|2x+2|[/itex],[itex]du=(2x+2)^{-1}[/itex],[tex]v=x^2[/itex],[itex]dv=2x[/itex].

then

[tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{2x+2}dx} = .5x^2 ln |2x+2| - \int{ln |2x+2|xdx} [/tex]

for the second integral I have:
[itex] u=.5x^2[/itex],[itex]du=xdx[/itex],[tex]v=ln |2x+2| [/itex],[itex]dv=2(2x+2)^{-1}[/itex].

where

[tex]\int{ x ln|2x+2| dx} = .5x^2 ln |2x+2| - \int{\frac{x^2}{2x+2}dx} [/tex]

and finally both sides cancel out:

[tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{2x+2}dx} = .5x^2 ln |2x+2| - .5x^2 ln |2x+2| +\int{\frac{x^2}{2x+2}dx} [/tex]

[tex] \int{\frac{x^2}{2x+2}dx} = \int{\frac{x^2}{2x+2}dx} [/tex]

Ive checked the trig rules as well as the inverse trig rules and no other rules match. Does an integral for this function not exsist or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you are integrating a fraction, of which teh degree in the numerator is greater than or equal to the degree of the denominator, one should use Polynomial Long Division first, then use Partial Fraction.
I'll give you an example:
Say, you want to integrate:
[tex]\int \frac{x ^ 2}{x + 1} dx[/tex]
The degree in the numerator is 2, which is greater than the degree of the denominator 1. So we should use Polynomial Long Division first to get:
[tex]\int \frac{x ^ 2}{x + 1} dx = \int \left( x - 1 + \frac{1}{x + 1} \right) dx = \int (x - 1) dx + \int \frac{dx}{x + 1}[/tex]
From here, we can use the substitution u = x + 1 to solve the second integral. So the result is:
[tex]\int \frac{x ^ 2}{x + 1} dx = \int (x - 1) dx + \int \frac{dx}{x + 1} = \frac{x ^ 2}{2} - x + \ln |x + 1| + C[/tex].
Ok, can you get this? :)
Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
r16 said:
It has been about 2 years since i last did calculus but I am trying to get back into it so I am ready for college / don't kill myself because of boredom

I am having difficulty finding integrals of the form
[tex] \int{\frac{x^2}{x+a}dx} [/tex]

This integral inparticular is:
[tex]\int{{\frac{x^2}{2x+2}dx}[/tex]

I couldn't find a [itex]u[/itex] or a [itex] du [/itex] that would work

I then tried to decompose the fraction to [itex] \frac{x^2}{2x+2} = \frac{A}{2} + \frac{B}{x+1}[/itex] but could't solve for A, which makes sense, so that won't work.
?? Partial fractions requires "proper" fractions- that is, that the numerator has lower dimension than the denominator. In this case, you need to divide first.
[tex]\frac{x^2}{2x+2}= \frac{1}{2}x- \frac{1}{2}- \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{x+1}}[/tex]

That should be easy to integrate.

polynomial long division rings a bell, i completely forgout about it. I am good from there

i didnt know the stipulation about decomposing the fraction, but that makes sense. thanks!

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields.

2. Why is it important to remember how to integrate?

Integration is a crucial skill for scientists because it allows them to solve complex problems and analyze real-world situations. It is also an essential tool for understanding the relationships between variables and making predictions about their behavior.

3. How can I improve my integration skills?

To improve your integration skills, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend workshops to learn new techniques and strategies.

4. What are some common integration techniques?

Some common integration techniques include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. It is important to understand the principles behind each technique and when to apply them.

5. Can I use technology to help with integration?

Yes, there are many software programs and online tools available to help with integration. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration before relying on technology to solve problems.