How temperature affects GM tube performance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of temperature on GM tube performance. The speaker shares their experience of an increase in tally as the temperature rises and questions whether it is a coincidence or a sign of poor performance. Another speaker suggests that temperature may affect the tube through the vapor pressure of the quencher. The original speaker expresses doubt about the normal tally fluctuation and mentions that research papers indicate GM tubes should function within a certain temperature range.
lingleo
Anyone familiar with GM tube, please share some experience on the effect of temperature to GM tube performance, how does it influence?
I found our GM tube tally has increase a little as the temperature increased rapidly from 4 degree to 55 degree, I wonder is it a casualness or a indication of bad performance?
Thanks a lot!

Science news on Phys.org
I have not worked with GM counters since tens of years. I think that the only way that temperature can affect the behavior of the tube is through the vapor pressure of the quencher. If the temperature is too low some of the quencher condenses. This does not change the sensitivity, but the quenching itself can be affected.

Thanks for your answer.
I also doubted it was the normal tally fluctuation. From the research papers it seems GM tube will work well within the temperature range.

1. How does temperature affect the sensitivity of a GM tube?

The sensitivity of a GM tube is directly proportional to the temperature. As temperature increases, the sensitivity of the GM tube decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, the gas inside the tube becomes more ionized, leading to a higher background radiation and reduced ability to detect additional radiation.

2. Does temperature affect the counting rate of a GM tube?

Yes, the counting rate of a GM tube is affected by temperature. As temperature increases, the counting rate also increases due to the increased ionization of the gas inside the tube. This can lead to false readings and must be taken into account when analyzing data.

3. How does temperature affect the dead time of a GM tube?

The dead time of a GM tube is the time after a particle is detected during which the tube is unable to detect additional particles. Temperature affects the dead time by increasing the time it takes for the tube to "recover" after each detection. As temperature increases, the dead time also increases, leading to a decrease in the accuracy of the readings.

4. Can temperature affect the efficiency of a GM tube?

Yes, temperature can significantly affect the efficiency of a GM tube. As temperature increases, the efficiency decreases due to the increased background radiation and decreased sensitivity. This can result in inaccurate readings and must be taken into consideration when conducting experiments.

5. Is there a specific temperature range where GM tube performance is optimal?

Yes, the optimal temperature range for GM tube performance is around room temperature (20-25 degrees Celsius). At this temperature, the sensitivity and efficiency of the tube are at their highest, and the dead time is at its lowest. It is important to maintain a consistent temperature within this range for accurate and reliable results.