How to Solve for the Angle of Incline in a Sliding Block Problem

In summary, the block will slide down the plane at an angle equal to the angle of the inclined plane above which it will start to slide.
NaZer

Homework Statement

A 5.0-kg wooden block is placed on an adjustable inclined plane. [ U(mu)k=0.25 and U(mu)s=0.45]
a.) What is the angle of inclined above which the block will start to slide down the plane?
b.) At what angle of incline will the block slide down the plane at a constant speed.

~Now I know how to set up the problem (i think), but I haven't the slightest clue how to approach this. If someone wouldn't necessarily give me the answer but tell my how to tackle it. Or explain it to me, that would be ideal. Now since you have to show kind of poking at the problem, here you go.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/276/physics311ua2.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Trigonometry

read the question carefully, it says when it starts sliding. What does that tell you?

Last edited:
How would you use Trig.? Isn't there too many unkowns. In order to use Trig, i would need some sides or angles.

relate the directions of the arrows you just drew with trig and the angle of the incline. try to make the sum of force equations for the Y and the X direction

You know the Earth's force and the mu(it effects the force that is related to the mu), your mass does not effect your angle(but, write everything down in your sum of force equations because it may throw you off), and relate that to the trig representation of your directional arrows. Imagine your arrows as x and y-axis of a graph, the x-axis is rotated to make the incline parallel to the horizontal axis(think about your normal force). When you get to the end of the problem you will see that a simple trig identity will help you find your angle. Your arrows are all the force involved on your little block, name them(what kind of force are each one of them?) by labeling them with the assistance of trigonometry. This is a very general, non specific problem, so you need to be patient and not focus on finding numeric known and unknowns, you need to solve by a deduction by trigonometry. In other words, its a good problem

Last edited:
Just a little hint my old instructor gave me: On your drawing do not make the angel beta = 45 degres. If you make it bigger or smaller, then I believe it is much easier to see which angels there are alike.

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the push or pull of an object. It can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

How is force measured?

Force is measured using a unit called the Newton (N). One Newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

What is the role of force in the concept of motion?

Force is essential in understanding motion as it is the cause of any changes in an object's state of motion. It can either increase or decrease an object's speed, or change its direction of motion.

How does a wooden block experience force?

A wooden block can experience force when it is pushed or pulled by another object. It can also experience the force of gravity, which pulls it towards the center of the Earth.

Can a wooden block exert force on other objects?

Yes, a wooden block can exert force on other objects. This is known as a contact force, where the wooden block is in physical contact with another object and pushes or pulls on it.