Correct series-or-parallel-or-off switch wiring?

In summary: It probably wouldn't be allowed in practice though. The left heater is hot when the switch is turned off - a danger to anyone servicing the equipment.
drcrash
Is this a correct way to wire a DPDT toggle switch so that you can run current through two identical resistance heaters either in parallel or in series (or not at all, so that you have off/half/full power)?

Code:
   +---------------------------+
   |                           |
   |                     +-----|----------------------+
   |                     |     |                      |
   |                  + -|- - -|- +                   |
   |                  |  |     |  |                   |
   |                     *     *                      |
   |                  |           |                   |
   +----/\/\/\/\/\/------*     *-------/\/\/\/\/\/----+
   |                     *-----*                      |
   |                  + - - - - - +                   |
   |                                                  |

Hot                                              Neutral

The idea is that when the switch is in the down position, current flows through the left heater, down the left half of the switch, across the jumper, up the right side, and through the other heater. (And the other way for the other half of the AC cycle.)

When the switch is in the up position, current flows through the left heater, up the left half of the switch, to neutral AND (in parallel) down the right side of the switch and through the right heater to neutral.

With the switch in the middle, nothing flows and that's the OFF position.

I'm concerned about safety as well as correctness here, because it will be handling 120VAC power.

For example, is there a rule about polarity for a toggle switch, such that the center connections should be neutral to avoid making the switch live, or anything like that?

(It's not a homework question, BTW; it's more of a "do I understand toggle switch wiring?" and "will this kill somebody?" kind of question.)

I realize that there's no need for the current to flow through both sides of the switch in the down position. (I suppose it might be just slightly better to use two diagonal jumpers from the center connections to the opposite-side bottom connections. That way current could flow through both sides in parallel, so that if one happened to fail, the other would still keep it working.)

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks right to me (nice ASCII drawing, BTW). As for safety, just be sure that the switch exposed metal parts are Earth grounded. How are the wire connections made to the switch? Are you using a light wall switch type with screw terminals on the back, or are you using a discrete-type switch where you have to solder the wires on the lugs on the back? If the latter, be sure to use heatshrink tubing to cover the soldered ends (remember to put on the heatshrink tubing onto the wires before soldering!).

berkeman said:
Looks right to me (nice ASCII drawing, BTW). As for safety, just be sure that the switch exposed metal parts are Earth grounded. How are the wire connections made to the switch? Are you using a light wall switch type with screw terminals on the back, or are you using a discrete-type switch where you have to solder the wires on the lugs on the back? If the latter, be sure to use heatshrink tubing to cover the soldered ends (remember to put on the heatshrink tubing onto the wires before soldering!).

Sorry for the very belated response... I thought I had notification enabled but I didn't...

I'm using a 20 amp DPDT toggle switch with quick connects, and using insulated crimp-on connectors crimped onto the wires and slid onto the connect tabs.

Thanks for the help!

Paul

It probably wouldn't be allowed in practice though. The left heater is hot when the switch is turned off - a danger to anyone servicing the equipment.

mgb_phys said:
It probably wouldn't be allowed in practice though. The left heater is hot when the switch is turned off - a danger to anyone servicing the equipment.

Good point. Which makes me wonder... is there an alternative series-or-parallel wiring scheme with a DPDT switch that would not have that problem?

Not with a single switch, that I can think of (without using an extra control circuit and relays).
You would either need a special 3 position switch or 2 switches (on/off plus low/high).

mgb_phys said:

I recently had the back off of my oven and found that one leg of the 240 volt power cord is tied directly to the oven coil (lower). I see no reason why it would not be permitted.

1. What is the difference between series, parallel, and off switch wiring?

Series wiring is when the components are connected in a single path, while parallel wiring is when the components are connected in multiple paths. Off switch wiring is when the components are disconnected from the circuit.

2. How do I determine which type of wiring is best for my circuit?

The type of wiring depends on the specific needs and components of your circuit. For example, series wiring is commonly used for simple circuits with few components, while parallel wiring is better for more complex circuits that require multiple power sources. Off switch wiring is useful for safety purposes or when you need to turn off certain components without disrupting the entire circuit.

3. Can I mix series and parallel wiring in the same circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of series and parallel wiring in a circuit. This is called a hybrid circuit and can be used to achieve specific functions or to optimize the performance of the circuit.

4. What are the advantages of each type of wiring?

Series wiring allows for easy troubleshooting as all the components are connected in a single path. Parallel wiring provides redundancy and ensures that the circuit will still function even if one component fails. Off switch wiring allows for easy control and safety of the circuit.

5. How do I ensure proper wiring for my circuit?

It is important to carefully plan and design your circuit before starting the wiring process. Make sure to follow the proper wiring diagrams and double-check all connections. It is also recommended to use high-quality components and to test the circuit before fully implementing it.