Force of a fist-punch have G's

• Thread starter jaywoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the person needs to calculate the force of a punch for a test they are running. They have the force of the punch given by a sensor, the speed of the punch from a high-speed camera, and the mass of the moving fist on a pneumatic cylinder. They are looking for the formula to calculate the force in ft/lbs. The formula is F = mass * acceleration, with 1g being equal to 9.8m/s^2 or 32ft/s^2. The person may also be able to get the force from the kinetic energy of the fist or the impulse of force and time. They are also looking for specifications for an accelerometer to use for this purpose. A recommended resource for this is
jaywoo
I need to calculate the force of a punch for a test I'm running. I have the numbers, but it seems that I have to backwards to find my number!.

I have the force of a punch in G's given by a sensor (accelerometer)

I have Ft/s (feet per second) (high speed Camera) will have anyway by thisafternoon.

I have the mass (6lb moving "fist" on a pnumatic cylinder)

I need Ft/lbs of the punch.

Can anyone give me my formula?

Many Many thanks indeed!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ft/lbs doesn't mean anything.
If you mean the force than F = mass 8 acceleration , you have that from the acceleromter. 1g = 9.8m/s^2 or 32ft/s^2.
Energy is force * distance, ft*lbs. Or you could get it from the kinetic energy of the fist.
Impulse is force*time.

what was the Accelerometer data?

Im looking to get an Accelerometer (40g) and i want to know the spec's i need so that it won't break.

thanks in advance

Hi
go to www.prosporttech.com[/URL] we use Herman Digital Trainers for martial Arts, American Football, Rugby and most other contact sports.

Check it out, it should give you every thing you need.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

I can provide you with the formula to calculate the force of a punch. The formula is F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, your mass is 6 pounds and your acceleration can be calculated using the values from your accelerometer. Once you have the force in pounds, you can convert it to Ft/lbs by multiplying it by the distance traveled by the fist in feet. This distance can be calculated using the speed of the fist in feet per second from your high-speed camera. Therefore, your formula would be F = (6 lbs)(a) * (distance in feet). I hope this helps you in calculating the force of your punch for your test. Best of luck!

1. What is the force of a fist-punch measured in?

The force of a fist-punch is typically measured in units of pounds (lbs) or newtons (N).

2. How much force does a typical fist-punch have?

The force of a fist-punch can vary greatly depending on the individual and the strength of the punch. However, on average, a human fist-punch can generate around 300 lbs of force.

3. How does the force of a fist-punch compare to other objects?

The force of a fist-punch is relatively small compared to other objects. For example, a car can generate thousands of pounds of force, while a bullet can generate millions of pounds of force.

4. What is the maximum force a human fist-punch can generate?

The maximum force a human fist-punch can generate is around 1,500 lbs. This can vary depending on factors such as the individual's strength, technique, and speed of the punch.

5. Is there a limit to how much force a fist-punch can generate?

Yes, there is a limit to how much force a fist-punch can generate. The human body has physical limitations and the force of a punch can also be affected by factors such as fatigue and injury. Additionally, the amount of force generated can also be limited by the object being punched, such as a hard surface or a person's body.